Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repair during a c-section? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421711)

Riverdavidsmama 07-19-2012 08:58 PM

Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repair during a c-section?

I've had an umbilical hernia since 34 weeks or so (sudden, excruciating pain to the right of my belly button). I went to ER and my doc was able to push it back in after 3 EXCRUCIATING tries.

I have since been able to push it in myself, but a couple weeks ago noticed a 1/2 cm hard spot in my belly button. Went to ER again thinking it could be intestine, but they said it was omentum that has died since I'm so far along in my pregnancy.

It has since grown to 2 cm in size. I am having a lot of constipation issues as well, which makes me worried that it's more than omentum.

I saw the doc again yesterday, she checked it and said it's just more dead omentum. She said we'd def. need to repair it during my c-section (scheduled for next Tuesday - I have my second breech baby if you can believe it) and that they'd have to go in through belly button and underneath (through my c-section incision) to repair it.

I noticed tonight that my belly button is kind of grayish looking too, so I'm afraid they're wrong and it IS intestine. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this - either herniated/strangulated intestine/omentum or a repair during a c-section.

How long was your total surgery?

Can you tell me about your recovery?

Did you have a scar in your belly button too?

Were you able to initiate breastfeeding easily? (A fear of mine since surgery will be even longer than a c-section, though my doctor says it will only add 5 minutes)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. I am freaking out about the c-section, especially having the repair now on top of that, and even more that something is very wrong and will end up making my surgery much longer and more complex for me.

Riverdavidsmama 07-20-2012 02:58 PM

Re: Has anyone had an umbilical hernia repair during a c-section?

bump

Riverdavidsmama 07-20-2012 08:08 PM

bump

raisingcropsandbabies 07-20-2012 08:32 PM

I had an umbilical hernia during #4's pregnancy and the doc repaired it during my c-section. He said it would take the same amount of time to fix as your doc says! BUT, I ended up with a lot of scar tissue and so my actual c-section time was around 1hr.40min (without prep, I do believe). I don't know what was from what though (scar tissue removal vs. hernia repair.

As far as recovery, I don't feel like the hernia repair made it worse... it was my 3rd c-section so it took longer to heal than the others. I did feel really tight around my belly button off and on (maybe it was from internal stitches... it felt tightened is the only way I can describe it). It got sore some, but when you have a c-section incision ontop of it, it out-did any hernia repair discomfort.

I don't feel like I ever have a good first breastfeeding experience after my c-s. They make me lay flat for a bit and gradually ease up... I never nurse good like that. I don't make enough milk though anyway (defective breasts... 1 milk gland) and always bottlefeed after my babies are done nursing first. IF you do get good nursing time though, then I wouldn't worry.

((big hugs)). I HATE knowing when the c-section date is... It's so strange to know WHEN this all is gonna happen! Distract yourself as best you can! Lots of playdates with #1, outings, last min. prep... keep busy, busy, busy so you don't go crazy.

Riverdavidsmama 07-21-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies (Post 15431035)
I had an umbilical hernia during #4's pregnancy and the doc repaired it during my c-section. He said it would take the same amount of time to fix as your doc says! BUT, I ended up with a lot of scar tissue and so my actual c-section time was around 1hr.40min (without prep, I do believe). I don't know what was from what though (scar tissue removal vs. hernia repair.

As far as recovery, I don't feel like the hernia repair made it worse... it was my 3rd c-section so it took longer to heal than the others. I did feel really tight around my belly button off and on (maybe it was from internal stitches... it felt tightened is the only way I can describe it). It got sore some, but when you have a c-section incision ontop of it, it out-did any hernia repair discomfort.

I don't feel like I ever have a good first breastfeeding experience after my c-s. They make me lay flat for a bit and gradually ease up... I never nurse good like that. I don't make enough milk though anyway (defective breasts... 1 milk gland) and always bottlefeed after my babies are done nursing first. IF you do get good nursing time though, then I wouldn't worry.

((big hugs)). I HATE knowing when the c-section date is... It's so strange to know WHEN this all is gonna happen! Distract yourself as best you can! Lots of playdates with #1, outings, last min. prep... keep busy, busy, busy so you don't go crazy.

Thanks mama. Good info. So they were able to repair it with just the spinal? My doc was saying they might not be able to and need to give me IV drugs to knock me out and that just won't fly. I do not want to miss my baby's birth or her first couple hours of life. Did you have any issues breathing during surgery/

raisingcropsandbabies 07-22-2012 06:07 AM

They didn't need to knock me out. I did have some issues with breathing, but they were able to get it under control (though it did scare me some!). After my dd was out, I started breathing really quickly because it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. The monitors picked it up and the anes. asked if I was having trouble taking breaths. When I said, "yes, sorry" (i apologize for everything), he gave me some medicine through the iv to help me breath and lessen the weight on my chest. It started helping, yet I got a little light-headed and nauseated. I asked DH to take DD and go to the nursery. I dry heaved once, but of course nothing came out; but after that I felt a little better. The anes. also gave me some meds to help the nausea feeling. The doctor reassured me that I would feel a LOT better once he was able to close me up and he was RIGHT! As soon as they finished removing as much scar tissue as they could, sewing back up my bladder (they knicked it) and testing to make sure it held well, and fixing the hernia... I felt back to post-op normal.
It was not my best c-section, but I was so glad they could fix me up. I'm 9 mos. post-op and don't have any umbilical pain (I had soreness when I first started working out again, but it has went away). It's such a wonderful feeling!

Riverdavidsmama 07-22-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks, mama. Good info. I talked to my anesthetisiologist today and he was really nice and helpful. He said he's confident we can do it with the spinal and not too much else. He said he'd probably give me some drugs to help relax me after the surgery but I don't really want that - I want to be fully alert and aware and be able to remember my baby's birth! I'm going to tell them that.