Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   pumping while ebf (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421840)

sofiamama 07-20-2012 08:59 AM

pumping while ebf

Hi there, I am a SAHM and My 6mo dd is EBF. I have just started pumping to try to get a bit of a freezer supply for the occasional outing or something I may (probably won't lol) do with out DD. but I have found it difficult to balance pumping and my DD's feedings. any pointers? TIA!

hscannon 07-20-2012 11:19 AM

Re: pumping while ebf

Does your daughter have a fairly consistent sleep schedule? If she sleeps for a long stretch at night you could pump before you go to sleep (hopefully this would be a couple hours after her last feed and before her next feed). Mornings are usually when milk supply is highest, so you might try pumping after her first feed of the day or pumping one side while she nurses the other at her first morning feed. Also pumping after a feed during the day when she's napping. At first you might not get much milk if you pump after a feed, but your body will adjust with time to produce more. HTH!

tibeca 07-21-2012 02:11 PM

When it comes to pumping for outings, I start about 1 week in advance of when I know I will be gone. I then aim to pump about 1 oz each morning for the entire week. This keeps me from increasing my supply too high and getting engorged, while still providing enough milk for a fairly long outing. I do my best pumping first thing in the morning after my babies are done nursing, I just pump the other side.

twood80 07-21-2012 07:37 PM

If baby doesn't always take the second breast at a feeding, you could simultaneously pump the other side if you have an electric pump (manual I think would be hard to juggle). Or pump right after any/all feedings. Or as others have suggested, pump before you go to bed for biggest recovery time or in the morning when supply is highest. Starting before you need it will help you not feel pressured.

mamma_z 07-22-2012 06:46 PM

I usually pump in the morning. DS often wakes up when I do, so I set up breakfast for us and pump while he plays with his cereal or yogurt. I get the most in a single session if I pump soon after rising.

GMindyA 09-04-2012 06:22 AM

Pumping in the morning, after lo's first feeding. Wait about an hour or so. (She was an every 3-4 hour nurser at the time). I would get the most milk then, and still have plenty for her next nursing session.

hohaas 09-28-2012 01:58 PM

I have an oversupply so DD usually just eats off one side so I will pump the other after a feeding or even pump while feeding.

Michelle_M 09-30-2012 02:16 PM

I pump first thing in the morning because I'm engorged. So even if LO has just eaten off one side, I get a good amount on the other.

I choose on or two additional times of day when she is normally sleeping, and pump during that time.

God bless!

1healthylady 10-04-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twood80
If baby doesn't always take the second breast at a feeding, you could simultaneously pump the other side if you have an electric pump (manual I think would be hard to juggle).

How do you juggle that even with an electric pump? I tried and wound up spilling a lot. I'd love to make it work to save on time tho.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

Van1300 10-04-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1healthylady (Post 15768569)
How do you juggle that even with an electric pump? I tried and wound up spilling a lot. I'd love to make it work to save on time tho.

Sent from my Android using DS Forum

Buy one of those hands free nursing bras? I never tried it when I was EBF and pumping with DD, but I'm expecting DS in November and will return to work full time in January, so I'm going to really work on my freezer stash this time around.