Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Exclusively Pump / How do I stop?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421922)

Anheyla 07-20-2012 01:33 PM

Exclusively Pump / How do I stop??

While I have it A LOT easier than most (I read the forum and wow... weaning a baby sounds hard!).... I have been exclusively pumping since my little one wouldn't latch and was having other issues since birth.

I am down to pumping only 3 times a day (morning, noon & night) but can't seem to figure out the best way to reduce it from there. I have gotten advice to just STOP and "wrap" myself as tight as possible... I do NOT think this is a good idea, others have told me to go get the shot to help reduce my milk.... I have been trying to plan and do it as naturally as possible by reducing number of times per day as well as how long I pump for, but I'm kind of at a stand still.

Anyone have any advice? Right now I can go about 12-13 hours at night but I wake up leaking and in desperate need of a pumping session. I am trying to avoid having to wake up in the middle of the night to pump while weaning, but I don't know how else I will literally get it down to twice and then once a day.

Help! :)

NikiG 07-20-2012 06:17 PM

Just pump or hand express enough to relieve your breasts. Don't empty them. You may wind up pumping more often but since you're not removing much, your breasts will slow down production. The fuller your breasts are the slower the milk production so really just remove enough to take the edge off!

Sha-nanagins 07-22-2012 01:18 PM

Re: Exclusively Pump / How do I stop??

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiG (Post 15430719)
Just pump or hand express enough to relieve your breasts. Don't empty them. You may wind up pumping more often but since you're not removing much, your breasts will slow down production. The fuller your breasts are the slower the milk production so really just remove enough to take the edge off!

Yeah, that. How long do you pump at each session? However long you do at the midday session, cut it by 5 minutes every couple of days until you are only pumping 5 minutes. Then try skipping that session. Once you adjust to that, choose another (probably the evening) and cut back the same way. Or cut 5 minutes off each session, if that is comfortable enough for you. It will take a few weeks, but is more like weaning the baby from nursing.

l_Kimmie_l 08-26-2012 11:19 AM

200 mg of B6 can help dry you up. I just found this out the hard way.

GodLover 08-31-2012 12:15 PM

Subbing for more info!

Wanderlust 09-02-2012 04:30 AM

I started slowly- it took me about 2 months from the time I decided to stop until I completely stopped.

I kept all the pumping sessions, but reduced the time- so I usually pumped for 20 minutes. I only pumped for 15 minutes.

Then I started dropping the sessions one by one. I started with the middle of night ones.

I kept doing this until I got down to one session a day.

I also started taking my allergy medicine which helped since antihistimines dry out milk supply

sbmarie23 09-20-2012 06:08 PM

I'm down to 3-4 times day and trying to get down to morning, afternoon and before bed. hope it works

abunchoflemons 09-20-2012 06:23 PM

Do u have an electric or manual? Manual won't pull as hard. Try to pump a little for a few mins instead of like I think it took me 20 mins...so like 5 to relieve. Then try weening like you did to get to pumping 3 times a day.

KelseyH 09-21-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiG

This!