Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I overreacting? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1421933)

Whits01 07-20-2012 01:49 PM

Am I overreacting?

We're having a little bit of head-butting in my family about the date for my son's baptism...

My sister and her husband are going to be his godparents, and they live in WA, we live in TN. They are traveling to town the weekend of Labor Day for a friend's wedding, which is really good timing.They're planning to fly in on Friday morning and fly home Monday night to make it back to work on Tuesday. BUT - the wedding is 3 hours away, and spread out over 3 days!! There's something Friday night, the wedding is Saturday morning, then the reception is Sunday night.
We have to schedule our son's baptism, (which I feel should be FIRST priority) around this crazy extravaganza.

If it's on Monday, my husband won't have to take off work, any local family who wants to attend could, since it's a holiday, and the priest I want is available. My sister's throwing a fit about wanting to have it on Friday because it's more convenient for the two of them.

Am I overreacting, being upset that she's putting a friend's wedding WEEKEND over her nephew's baptism??

ggill 07-20-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Am I overreacting?

no! Who has a wedding weekend unless it is on an island?

CaliRoll 07-20-2012 01:52 PM

Was the wedding was planned first, and you chose that weekend for the baptism because your sister will already be in town for the wedding?

bea2269 07-20-2012 01:56 PM

Yes. She is traveling to town for a wedding first and foremost. You should move the baptism to accommodate her, or you can choose different godparents. The way I read it, it sounds as if you want to piggyback your child's baptism onto their friend's wedding plans. Did your sister suggest this or say it was a good idea?

ofthemoonsglow 07-20-2012 01:58 PM

Just say we're having the baptismm on monday, we've tried to make it so EVERYONE can come, if you can make it great! if you can't come thats too bad.

luvsviola 07-20-2012 02:08 PM

Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday.

However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.

stevensmom 07-20-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday. However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.

:yeahthat:

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

JeDeeLenae 07-20-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola
Honestly, if the wedding was planned first, and she is asking for Friday, I'd do Friday.

However, I am confused why you aren't doing it on Sunday during services? Every baptism I've ever been to is on Sunday morning during the church service.

I agree. First and foremost, they've promised to attend a friend's wedding. You may find it less important, but they don't, so I would either accommodate, change the date, or choose other God parents.

tallanvor 07-20-2012 02:17 PM

I'm missing how it would be more convenient for them to go on Friday than Monday. If they have something for the wedding on Friday, but nothing for the wedding on Monday, it would seem that would be a better day. And, assuming they are flying out of Nashville, then wouldn't being in Clarksville on Monday put them closer to the airport, as it'd only be about an hour away? I mean, I'm assuming that if the wedding is 3 hours from Clarksville, it's about 2 hours from Nashville.

But, yeah, it makes most sense to me to put the baptism on the day that the most people can be there who would want to be there. If your sister is pitching a big fit about the day, what kind of godparent is she going to make? Granted, if you change your mind on that, you've got to find someone else and also deal with the fall out of the change.

sojomisa 07-20-2012 02:21 PM

I do think you need to work with her a bit on timing since they're in town for the wedding. But she needs to be flexible as well unless she's willing to spend more money on flights to come again for your specific event.

It doesn't sound like Monday is a conflict with any wedding festivities so what is her issue with having it that day?