Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   "I'm just not going there" (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422502)

kalibratx4 07-22-2012 09:37 AM

"I'm just not going there"

Ughhhhhh.... So I was at a bridal shower yesterday for my niece and there were 3 pregnant mamas. They were talking about diapers and how she has been looking into organic disposable options blah blah blah, of course my niece throws in that we use cloth ( her cousin has seen dd's diapers a few times) and this girls comment is "oh I AM NOT DEALING WITH POOP" I can't go there, I am not good with come backs and I don't really say much in general about cloth unless someone is really interested but I thought to myself "Uh sorry lady but who's gonna be cleaning you baby's butt" sheesh people, the baby is not gonna wipe its own butt so YOU WILL BE DEALING WITH POOP!!!!!! and in sposies you may dealing with it in the clothes, the bed, the carseat, their hair lol.... Never had a blowouts after we switched to cloth @ 2 weeks.

Anyway just a vent, I wish I had quick comebacks to advocate for cloth:banghead:

mms1972 07-22-2012 09:44 AM

Oh i know! I don't really advertise i use cloth but if someone happens to see a diaper and wants info or wants to talk about it good, but i've been so irritated in the past by ignorant comments about cloth too! I wish i lived in a more cloth friendly area, or knew some IRL moms who used cloth!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

lynn97 07-22-2012 09:44 AM

Yeah, I always think the exact same thing. People say they can't deal w/the poop but, frankly, scraping it off baby's butt is the worst part! What cracks me up is that I had several friends w/similar reactions re: CDs when I was pregnant. Now about half have asked me about cloth and are considering it for future kids b/c they're tired of throwing money away w/sposies.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

kalibratx4 07-22-2012 10:00 AM

Re: "I'm just not going there"

And one of the other pregnant girls said "I do feel so bad about throwing away all that plastic!" but apparently not that bad!

Although in her defense she did say that she pays for laundry and that was one of her concerns. These are all younger 1st time mama's too so I am sure @ this stage they have no clue of HOW much poop they will be dealing with and eventually you get to the point where it's JUST POOP..... and after #5 I can really say that :giggle2:

BirthdayMama 07-22-2012 10:04 AM

Yeah, I don't get that comment. How many of the people who say that have a dog, too? Because picking up dog poop in little baggies on a walk is way more poop contact than I've ever had using CDs. And my dog's poop is 1000 times grosser than baby poop.

DottieHarley 07-22-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirthdayMama
And my dog's poop is 1000 times grosser than baby poop.

+1
When i was pg, all the sposie mamas were telling me to get multiple waterproof crib mattress protectors bc "she will pee and poop all over the crib and it will leak everywhere in the middle of the night.". Well in 18 mos of cding we have never once had that happen. Lol
And one of our beloved doggies has a nervous stomach and multiple digestive issues. I will change 1000 poopy diapers in a row if i never have to clean up what that dog can dish out! And i dunk and swish!

editrix 07-22-2012 10:51 AM

I would suggest they look into a diaper service if they don't want to do washing but still feel bad about throwing away all that plastic.

I don't know what to say in those situations either. One time at baby yoga, all the moms were talking about diapers and comparing the brands and one said "huggies leak because they're just like cloth." I didn't want to say that I didn't have any of these leaks or blowouts they were talking about because I used cloth, because they all know I used cloth diapers on DD and I didn't want to seem preachy or condescending, you know? Because sometimes people take it that way even if you don't mean it at all like that!

Kabuki24 07-22-2012 11:10 AM

Yeah, I think people, especially FTM's don't realize you are going to deal with poop whether you use cloth or disposables.

amiecheatham 07-22-2012 11:30 AM

lol I think your comeback would have been perfectly fitting if you had said it! that's what I always say to moms when they say that, "Well I hope you have hired someone to do all the diaper changing then because you will be 'dealing' with poop no matter what kind of diaper you use- might as well be one that is cute, good for the environment and will save you a ton of money!"

shan1212 07-22-2012 12:00 PM

I say, yeah, well, you're supposed to remove the poop before you throw your disposable away and flush it. And you have to wash baby clothes that get poop and spit up on them anyway. So what's the difference?

People are always like, what, really? when I say you have to flush the poop. But it's true -- even the disposable diaper boxes say to do it. Storing big hunks of toddler poop in a diaper genie is way grosser than dealing with cloth diapers that have been de-pooped first. People are just ignorant.