Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Fasting/laxatives day before c-section? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422528)

Riverdavidsmama 07-22-2012 11:04 AM

Fasting/laxatives day before c-section?

So I had a normal birth first son, and my second son and now my daughter were both breech and scheduled c-sections (and yes, I tried everything to turn them both).

I'm also undergoing an umbilical hernia repair during the surgery.

I remember having a terrible time going to the bathroom after my last c-section (I already have to use stool softeners and suppositories daily to go), and the fact that I'll be recovering from both a c-section incision and the umbilical hernia (at belly button) repair makes me totally freak out about being bloated, constipated and trying to push after surgery.

I have my surgery Tuesday morning. I'm planning to not take my iron tomorrow and to take a couple doses of miralax today and tomorrow. I took a women's laxative just now so it'll be out of my system by the surgery. I'm thinking of fasting tomorrow as well just so I don't get so backed up, but I know it could be days before I can eat (with DS2, I didn't pass gas and therefore couldn't eat for 4 days. Literally had my first bites of food - pizza - before my discharge the 5th day.)

Has anyone else done this? Any tips/suggestions?

happymama1 07-22-2012 11:10 AM

Re: Fasting/laxatives day before c-section?

honestly. fiber one bars SAVED me after my c-section with DD2.

I'm normally a pretty regular person, but my first c-section (with DS) was AWFUL in the "going to the bathroom" department. It was some of the worst pain.

With DD2, I started eating the fiber one bars (the yummy, chewy ones)....and probably ate about 3-4 a day for the first week. NO problems!! I weaned myself off of them as I recovered.

Hungry Caterpillar 07-22-2012 07:23 PM

the nurses at my hospital told me full fat whole milk does wonders to get things moving. I did follow their advice and take Colace and I did not end up having issues.

Everytime I sat down to nurse I drank a glass of whole milk.

I personally would not fast because I too wasn't allowed to eat for a while, until passing gas. I had my C/S on a Tuesday and didn't eat until Thursday late late afternoon. I was so hungry. I can't imagine fasting the day before.

Riverdavidsmama 07-23-2012 01:19 AM

I don't know if I could stomach that! We don't really drink milk - only almond. I know, I had the same thing - 4 or 5 days of not eating. But the alternative to me feels worse!

raisingcropsandbabies 07-23-2012 05:03 AM

That's a long time to go without eating! Usually by the evening of the first day, they let me eat crackers and drink water. Then the next day, they let you eat food/food. Can't imagine going the night before to 3 days later without eating! That can't help with nourishing your body to help you heal!

Be careful about not eating the day prior... if you are worried, then maybe you could eat a lot of soups that day and foods that are on the lighter side. You don't want to be light-headed from lack of food by the time the c-s rolls around.

They had me take colace as soon as they started handing out oral pain meds and that helped. Eat a lot of ruffage in the hospital with every meal too.

mrsgrantis 07-28-2012 08:43 PM

ya i wouldn't fast
glycerin suppositories and lots of fiber post deleivery would be my suggestion