Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   If you use or have used Head of the Class...? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422537)

cowangel 07-22-2012 11:17 AM

If you use or have used Head of the Class...?

If you use or have used Head of the Class online how did you do it? We have been looking into it and sort of playing around with it, but I'm not exactly sure how it works? What do I need to do in addition to what they watch on the little videos? Does it tell me what to print out or where to go to watch the videos? For example - I added a math assignment and now it has to be completed before they can see anything else? I see that there are lesson plans - how do I know what to make the kids watch and what to add to what they watch each day? Just having a hard time figuring it out and the FAQs seem hard to follow too...thanks for any advice! I am looking @ using it for 1st grade and either pre-k or K whichever works best for my DD.

LunaBirch 07-22-2012 02:47 PM

Re: If you use or have used Head of the Class...?

I have used head of the class and found it super straightforward. You create a user assign a grade level and they login and complete the assignments that appear on their page. HotC is a complete curriculum but supplemental science and history is recommended. Some subjects have videos, others have online games/activities, and many of worksheets to print off and complete offline.

~Laura~ 07-22-2012 08:41 PM

Have you downloaded the book that goes with it? I looked into using it and just never really got into it but the book was helpful.

iris0110 07-22-2012 11:08 PM

I have used HOTC for years (2nd through 5th for my oldest) and it is a very straight forward program. Now I have never used the lesson planner only the regular and customized curriculum. They didn't have the lesson planner available until recently and I could see no good reason to use it. As SativaStarr said the easiest way to use HOTC is to sign up, log in, and create your students. Assuming your child is generally at grade level in most if not all subjects simply go to your user page and under Learner Information you will fill in grade level, content grade level and then for each subject select if you want none, less, normal or more. To give you an example when I was using HOTC almost exclusively (with just science and history supplement) I had all subjects but Spanish set to more and I had Spanish set to none because I had elected to use a different language program. At this point you will simply be able to help your child log in and he will be able to work directly from the learner page. My recommendation for you is to either print out the teacher book or check your "dash board" every day before your child logs in (or do this the day before) and check 10 or so assignments ahead so you are prepared for what HOTC will be presenting to your child. There are things that you may need to help your child learn and HOTC offers suggestions for doing so. For science and history you can either follow along and offer chances to further study the subjects being presented by HOTC or you can offer a separate program. I have chosen to use a separate program but it is a matter of personal preference.

cowangel 07-27-2012 09:59 PM

Do you mind me asking what you are using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iris0110 (Post 15439416)
I have used HOTC for years (2nd through 5th for my oldest) and it is a very straight forward program. Now I have never used the lesson planner only the regular and customized curriculum. They didn't have the lesson planner available until recently and I could see no good reason to use it. As SativaStarr said the easiest way to use HOTC is to sign up, log in, and create your students. Assuming your child is generally at grade level in most if not all subjects simply go to your user page and under Learner Information you will fill in grade level, content grade level and then for each subject select if you want none, less, normal or more. To give you an example when I was using HOTC almost exclusively (with just science and history supplement) I had all subjects but Spanish set to more and I had Spanish set to none because I had elected to use a different language program. At this point you will simply be able to help your child log in and he will be able to work directly from the learner page. My recommendation for you is to either print out the teacher book or check your "dash board" every day before your child logs in (or do this the day before) and check 10 or so assignments ahead so you are prepared for what HOTC will be presenting to your child. There are things that you may need to help your child learn and HOTC offers suggestions for doing so. For science and history you can either follow along and offer chances to further study the subjects being presented by HOTC or you can offer a separate program. I have chosen to use a separate program but it is a matter of personal preference.

cowangel 07-27-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 (Post 15438830)
Have you downloaded the book that goes with it? I looked into using it and just never really got into it but the book was helpful.

Downloaded, skimmed, but not read completely yet :blush:

iris0110 07-28-2012 12:46 AM

For History I use www.lessonpathways.com I like the program and it is free. You can either assign a full planned year or one "stepping stone" at a time. I chose to assign all of the years from 1st through 5th for history and then arrange them in the order I wanted to teach them and I teach both of my boys together. I just sort of adjust my expectations based on age. I was not interested in the K history because it was more of a social studies based on community but if you have a very young student it would be a good introduction to the calender, communities and that sort of thing.

For science you can use lesson pathways as well or I use http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ClassicScienceLife.htm This year. It is a nice program, well laid out and easy to use. The first book is free and my kids are loving it.

iris0110 07-28-2012 12:46 AM

DP