Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   What did your c-section stay look like? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422834)

Riverdavidsmama 07-23-2012 01:30 AM

What did your c-section stay look like?

I'm freaking out a little about my second c-section on Tuesday (tomorrow) and I can't remember that much about my first (over 3 years ago). I know every hospital is different and each person is different, but I'm curious about how others have gone. I think with Rainn it was something like this:

Day 1 - early a.m. surgery. Rest of the day in bed with catheter and with IV pain meds (made me itch like crazy)
Day 2 - in bed all day, take out IVs and switch to oral pain meds. I think they maybe had me take a walk in the evening with my urine bag attached to something?
Day 3 - remove catheter in the morning. Took walk in afternoon or evening with hubby. I believe this day I had terrible shoulder pain from an air pocket.
Day 4 - took shower. took suppositories to dry to go No. 2 or pass gas. Haven't eaten except clear liquids.
Day 5 - finally pass bass. Have pizza for lunch. Discharged around noon.

I HATED the catheter with a passion and the IV pain meds were terrible too. Plus my air pocket. Part of me hope they'll remove the cath sooner this time (different state and hospital) but I don't know if I can get up that much without killing myself and my incision. Pain meds made me insanely thirsty (in fact one nurse forgot to change my urine bag and backed into my bladder.)

Please share your story and help ease my fears a bit. TIA

qsefthuko 07-23-2012 01:43 AM

Re: What did your c-section stay look like?

My first section I had to stand shortly after leaving the recovery room. I wasn't physically able to stand independently. The initial plan was for me to walk but I couldn't even stand independently. Just standing made me break out in a sweat because of the effort it took. I went home on day 2. It was my choice but being my first I thought I would be okay. I should have taken the 3rd day they offered me. I needed help to get out of bed I wound up sleeping upright because once my husband went to work I wouldn't be able to get up on my own. The only pain meds I was offered after discharge was otc tylenol. Once the epidural wore off I was given shots for the pain meds nothing oral.

My 2nd was a bit easier on me but harder on my son. I was sent home on day 2 again this time it was not my choice but the doctor and I didn't agree on certain things so he didn't care if I was ready to go home. I was again told to take otc tylenol for pain. This time I stayed with my parents during recovery so I had a LOT more help. Except for the fact that my son had been injured during delivery recovery was a lot easier.

My 3rd was the best we could ever hope to have for a repeat emergency section. I was given pain meds as needed, allowed to stay 4 days when I was both emotionally and physically ready to go home. I was sent home with scripts for 2 different pain meds. I hardly needed them. I think I took maybe 4 of them. Recovery was also much faster and easier than with my first 2 children.

2+2macht4 07-23-2012 02:02 AM

In germany its first 24 hours on iv pain meds and cathader. Day 2 cathader out and ibuprofen also start walking. I could eat after the second day maybe even same day not sure. SHowered on the 3 or 4 day and staplesout 4th day, home 5th day.

Pampered Mama 07-23-2012 03:52 AM

My c/s this past March (third c/s)-
Day 1- Early AM c/s, had spinal- allowed ice and water after surgery(though I drank too much at first and made myself sick!), clear liquids for lunch, up walking 8 hours after surgery, catheter removed, on oral pain meds (narcotic type).

Day 2-4 Regular food, switched to tylenol for pain meds, walking around room.
Day 5 Went home after lunch- never filled pain med prescrip- regular tylenol/ibuprophen worked fine for me.

raisingcropsandbabies 07-23-2012 04:51 AM

Day 1- c-section, iv meds, cath
Day 2- this is when I realize I got spinal headaches. IF you get a headache that is pounding, you are sensitive to light or noise (feel like noises are too loud or room is too bright)... don't hesitate. Request a blood patch. It's like getting another epidural, but they draw blood from your arm and insert it where your spinal fluid is leaking from your previous spinal block. It's a hassle and most anes. don't want to waste their time doing it, but insist. I am prone to spinal headaches (2 out of 3 c/s now) and try to "power through them", but they end up getting worse and worse. So just request a blood patch from the get go if you feel you are getting one. SO... by Day 2, is when I get a blood patch and I feel such relief 20 minutes later!
Day 2 also: cath out, iv out, shower, oral meds (because you have to request them which makes it harder to stay ontop of pain, I ask the nurse to remind me when my last dose was regulary, so I can remember to ask for meds!), walking around room.
Day 3: oral meds, walking around hall ways more frequently, learning how to shower myself, and get up and down better.
Day 4: discharge

raisingcropsandbabies 07-23-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama (Post 15439656)
I'm freaking out a little about my second c-section on Tuesday (tomorrow) and I can't remember that much about my first (over 3 years ago). I know every hospital is different and each person is different, but I'm curious about how others have gone. I think with Rainn it was something like this:

Day 1 - early a.m. surgery. Rest of the day in bed with catheter and with IV pain meds (made me itch like crazy)
Day 2 - in bed all day, take out IVs and switch to oral pain meds. I think they maybe had me take a walk in the evening with my urine bag attached to something?
Day 3 - remove catheter in the morning. Took walk in afternoon or evening with hubby. I believe this day I had terrible shoulder pain from an air pocket.
Day 4 - took shower. took suppositories to dry to go No. 2 or pass gas. Haven't eaten except clear liquids.
Day 5 - finally pass bass. Have pizza for lunch. Discharged around noon.

I HATED the catheter with a passion and the IV pain meds were terrible too. Plus my air pocket. Part of me hope they'll remove the cath sooner this time (different state and hospital) but I don't know if I can get up that much without killing myself and my incision. Pain meds made me insanely thirsty (in fact one nurse forgot to change my urine bag and backed into my bladder.)

Please share your story and help ease my fears a bit. TIA

At our hospital, they usually remove the cath the next morning (after first night in hospital).

And I would suggest getting up and walking as soon as possible. I started walking (from chair to bed and bed to chair towards the evening) the first day. It hurt like you-know-what, but I feel like it really helped me with soreness and pain with my 2nd and 3rd c-section. That was a lesson I learned the hard way from my 1st c-section. Walk, walk, walk as soon as possible and often. And it also reduces your risks of clots.

Do you have some busy work to do before the c-section or fun stuff planned?

Riverdavidsmama 07-23-2012 09:19 AM

my mama is coming, so that will be nice.

3 ladybugs 07-23-2012 09:51 AM

My hospital lets you have the cathador for 12 hours. That is it. If it is the middle of the night then so be it. Then you HAVE to go to the bathroom after they remove it. Clear liquids for first meal, (think I had lunch with the last one as my c-section was at 8 am), and if you do well with that then they will let you have solids. They make you get up and move around the second day if you don't do so on your own. I have NICU babies so I want to get down to see them FIRST thing in the morning. I even requested a wheel chair in the room for first thing in the morning the last time. I wheeled myself down there so I could hold my son! :D

I think I was able to take a shower on the third day after the IV was removed. Honestly now I have a port so I may just take a shower sooner. Try to take those at off times as hot water is always an issue I have found.

I got discharged on day 5 both times. They would have discharged me on day 4 but I wanted the extra day with my children. My son came home on day 6. My other children didn't come home. Both times I was off pain meds by day 8 or 9.

If you are itchy with the pain meds, you can ask for different meds. I found out that phenobarbatal (common after C-sections) makes me hallucinate (I hear running water). So I didn't take it with my son and all was good.

Br2me 07-23-2012 10:05 AM

i had my third c/s i april...it was the BEST one yet! i never really had problems...had baby at 12:34...taken to recovery stayed thereover an hour...then to room...at 6 hours they got me up to sit in chair...i was able to do this way better his time than the other times...sat in chair for about 30 minutes...then back to bed...they pretty much left me alone and only asked if i wnted up after that...i think the bag came out the next afternoon along with the iv...so then it was up to me to get up and down and go potty...we had to measure pee til i hit a certain amount iwthin three times going teetee..or the cath went back in...but i didnt have any problems...i shower later that same day...i had the baby on a tuesday and was home by thursday afternoon...i was up and moving good and stayed on top of my pain with RX meds dr sent me home with...

Shimpie 07-23-2012 10:27 AM

It's been almost 2 years, so I don't remember all the details. Mine was an emergency C-section since they didn't figure out DD was breech until 18 hours after my water broke and a continuous pitocin drip.:banghead:

Day 1: 4 am c-section. Rest with stupid foot pumps to keep blood from pooling in my feet. This was the most annoying aspect of c-section for me. Spinal block meds wore off around noon. Oral pain medication (Ibuprofen alternating with Tylenol-codeine ) thereafter. Catheter and foot pumps removed in the afternoon. Walk in to bathroom around dinner time. Walk was sore, but I was very happy to get out of bed since I had been stuck in one for over 32 hours.

Day 2: Gassy. Bored and Ansty. Upset over not giving birth naturally and scared that my milk had not come it yet. I did not know that a c-section could delay my milk. Pain meds, dry hospital air conditioning, and lactation made me very thirsty. Tried to skip a Tylenol-Codeine and got very sore. Walked up and down the halls pushing the giant hospital bassinet. The hall was too short, and tried to leave the wing, but the nurses said no. Flipped through all my magazines, but couldn't concentrate on a book. The nurses probably noticed my unrest, cause they hinted that I could be discharged tomorrow.

Day 3: After a lactation consulant visit assured me that my milk was coming and a visit from my OBGYN, I checked out in the afternoon.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience. It was just unexpected and too long and boring.