Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Heated Topic: Vaccinating... but I have a serious question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422847)

hollybabies 07-23-2012 06:00 AM

Heated Topic: Vaccinating... but I have a serious question

Mothers,

Please help me!!! I am looking for a scientific book about why not to vaccinate. I am a nurse by profession, and have done pediatrics and was always for vaccinating. My first 2 children are vaccinated. My 3rd is 18 months and has only received a few, then I started thinking if they were necessary for my child, and hasn't received anything else. I don't really want to vaccinate, but there is SO MUCH contradictory material.

The newest thing I read freaked me out, on the NON-Vax side. A doctor was saying that vaccines aren't for the safety of our older children, but for the safety of our babies, and prevent infant mortality. They were saying that when a child doesn't get vaccinated and they get, lets say, whooping cough, they may be fine, but their younger "baby" sibling may not be, and may die, or all the other babies they come in contact with all the weeks they are infectious. So even if you choose to vaccinate your children, a baby is still susceptible to catching things that could kill them if other people don't vaccinate. They were saying that what you choose to do affects the community and everyone around you. They were saying that is why infant mortality is so low in the U.S. now is because of vaccines, and that we will start to see a rise in infant deaths due to the trend of not vaccinating.

I want to find some books that are medically researched, like written by a naturopath who can explain to me why we shouldn't vaccinate. Where can I find that. I am new to all the natural stuff, and have been doing the more natural approach for about a year now, eating many things organic, no antibiotics unless deathly necessary, and non-medicating, etc, etc, and given my traditional medical background, I am well versed on the VAX side, so I would like something credible on the Non-Vax side.

Thanks so much, and please moms, be nice in your response. I am truly searching for the best thing for my child and am very conflicted at this point:headscratch:

traderbren 07-23-2012 07:35 AM

I have heard a lot of mamas talk about a video from Dr. Tenpenny. I am not sure of the title but a quick google search should find it. She might also have a book. I'm not a huge help- I prefer to stay out of these conversations, :giggle:

Edit: there is a lot of info here: http://drtenpenny.com/

Raquelita 07-23-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Heated Topic: Vaccinating... but I have a serious question

I really like Dr. Sears 'The Vaccine Book' as I felt it strove to be balanced and present all angles on the vaccination issue. It was not scare-mongering from either side of things which I appreciated.

llamabeans 07-23-2012 08:49 AM

Yeah (coming from a mom who is very pro vaccinations) I agree with Raquelita, Dr Sears has a good book. Very matter of fact and unbiased.

clothrookie3 07-23-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raquelita
I really like Dr. Sears 'The Vaccine Book' as I felt it strove to be balanced and present all angles on the vaccination issue. It was not scare-mongering from either side of things which I appreciated.

I felt the same. Of course this wasn't the ONLY advice I took. He also has references on his website and there were a couple other people that I looked up. I'll have to dig out my research papers:giggle:

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

hollybabies 07-24-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clothrookie3 (Post 15444141)
I felt the same. Of course this wasn't the ONLY advice I took. He also has references on his website and there were a couple other people that I looked up. I'll have to dig out my research papers:giggle:

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Please do:) I am looking for unbiased, just the facts type of info. And I don't want a lot of heated anger on either side.

TaraB 07-24-2012 07:46 AM

do you have access to any med searches still or are you no practicing? When I am trying to find research studies I often use search engines like ERIC or CINHAL or MedSearch. I am an OT by trade.

hollybabies 07-24-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaraB (Post 15445249)
do you have access to any med searches still or are you no practicing? When I am trying to find research studies I often use search engines like ERIC or CINHAL or MedSearch. I am an OT by trade.

No, I don't. But if you know something let me know:goodvibes:

browneyedgirl 07-25-2012 03:36 PM

I'll third (fourth?) the rec for the Dr Sears book.

kellfran 07-25-2012 03:54 PM

Its true when they talk about herd immunity. When it gets too low, there could be a problem. The Sears book is good, also Frontline did a documentary on Vaccine's a little while ago, very informative--you can watch it online.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/