Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If you were induced (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422878)

kaia.aline 07-23-2012 08:16 AM

If you were induced

How did that work? I will be medically induced next Thursday (no flames please its not what i want but it is best for baby so thats that) and my ob is out of town so I can't get any questions answered right now but I'm curious how it works? I know that I am having my water broken and getting pitocin but what else happens? I have to just lay there till she pops out? Sounds super boring... This is not the way I pictured my birth experience but I've come to terms with it and just want to be prepared for what happens now.

Joyful Tie Dyes 07-23-2012 08:21 AM

Re: If you were induced

Well in my case we did pit for several hours before my water was broken. It WAS boring until that point, after that the contractions were right on top of each other for a while so less boring LOL

calex99 07-23-2012 08:26 AM

I also had pitocin and it was increased gradually. After 7 hours on pitocin my water was broken and then the baby was born. Like pp it was uneventful, but I had family in the room, so we were visiting and having a good time. I think your experience is going to depend on how you are able to take the pitocin contractions. Good luck, mama! You will do just fine. Relax your mind and body as much as possible :)

erlyjo 07-23-2012 08:38 AM

I didn't have pitocin, but a gel that was applied internally. My water broke on its own. It was a pretty boring day (since I also had an epi), and my husband says he will never watch another episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" as long as he lives! ;)

WilliamsMama 07-23-2012 08:44 AM

I went in at 7 pm, 12 days late, and they put Cervadil in to ripen my cervix. Then the next morning they started the Pitocin.

I didn't dilate AT ALL and I did have some contractions, but nothing that progressed me in any way shape or form. They said they were going to wait until I had dilated 3 centimeters then break my water, but that never happened. Because of the stress on the baby, I ended up getting a c-section at 12:33 am.

I hope you have better luck!

EDIT: Oh and I remember them telling me I had to sleep. Yeah, right. You can't eat anything, and you can't fall asleep because, well, you just can't. Sucks.

KaleidoscopeEyes 07-23-2012 08:46 AM

i was induced with ds1 at 36 weeks. they gave me an IV with pitocin at 8 am. i started feeling contractions at noon, they ended up breaking my water sometime during it all and delivered DS1 at 4pm. thankfully i progressed and didnt need to have a csection like so many other women do

amandajiggles 07-23-2012 08:56 AM

I had an U/S on a Monday morning because I was overdue. Baby wasn't moving a lot (because she never does at that time). They wanted me in for observation that evening, and I was told I would have cervadil inserted before bed then I'd wake up and start the rest of the process.

Instead, I had cervadil inserted at 8am Tuesday because there weren't enough beds in the labour/delivery ward and they were worried I wouldn't have a place to deliver if things progressed quickly. They couldn't do anything else until 3pm, when they started my pitocin. After that was started I was around 1.5cm, and an hour later they broke my water at 4pm. Then the pitocin was upped on a regular basis and I had contractions every 3-5 minutes until about 4 am. I wasn't really progressing and was exhausted. They gave me morphine or demerol (not sure.. it was a while ago) and I went to sleep for a bit. At 6am they upped my pitocin again and I was walking a lot... contractions were every 2-3 minutes and lasting a minute each. It was getting intense, but nothing was happening otherwise. At 9pm I was checked and was only around 4-4.5cm (baby never engaged). I had an "emergency" c-section for prolonged rupture of membranes at 11pm on a Wednesday.

I would suggest asking them to hold off on breaking your water until your cervix is favourable. If you're already thinned out/dilated it should make a difference. My cervix was long and only a finger tip dilated when they broke my water. I think that was my undoing. Best of luck!

hcokasil 07-23-2012 09:04 AM

I was induced with my last two, it wasn't much different than with my first (i guess he was sort of induced too...my water broke but labor never really started on it's own) I only had petocin with my third the others I just had a pill, I think is called cytotek (sp??) anyway, I was allowed and even encouraged to walk all over the hospital until I was too uncomfortable, even when I was dragging an iv pole with me I was still walking. so it doesn't have to be boring...

sorry, i'm really bad at autocorrect and I don't like proof reading!

my2sweets 07-23-2012 09:05 AM

Each time they start the pit, a couple hrs later they break my water-this is around the time I want the epidural lol, then shortly after its time to push. My labors have been fairly short-almost 5hrs, not quit 4hrs, almost 7hrs(thanks to the nurse turning off the pit during the epi and us not figuring it out until 2hrs later :banghead:). But since they are pretty short Ive never gotten bored. Rested, read, watched tv, played games with dh and then before I know it the docs telling me its time to push lol

mommyto3beautifulbabes 07-23-2012 09:14 AM

The pitocin should make labor quicker. My 1st was born all natural but my last three were all induced, the last two for meically related reasons. I know what you mean about no flames, giggle. :) It is my experience that labor can be quick and painful. Labor is no where near the same as natural uninduced labor as far as pain is concerned. It is so painful! I ended up getting the epidural (it didn't take the first time that I was induced so I felt everything anyways). It was a really bad labor experience with the pain that I was feeling and I do not remember hardly anything positive from this labor except that I got the blessinsg of a gorgeous little girl but I actually remember begging for someone to "put me out of my misery and put me to sleep" (apparently like a dog, lol). I hope that no one finds this offensive but it was very intense pain, unlike anything that I had ever experienced before even with a fully natural labor. With my last two the epiderals took and labor was great.