Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Donor milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1422972)

lindsey.leanne 07-23-2012 11:48 AM

Donor milk?

What are your thoughts on donor milk? Would you use it if you couldn't supply all your little one needed?

AnimalHouse 07-23-2012 12:23 PM

Re: Donor milk?

I've donated thousands of ounces through MilkShare, and have donated countless more ounces to local friends in need. That said, I would only use donor milk if my baby absolutely could not tolerate formula. Obviously I know breastmilk is best, even if baby can tolerate formula... but I prefer seeing donor milk going to babies who have a true medical need for it.

lilmomma83 07-23-2012 12:27 PM

I think all babies have a true medical need for it...and I don't think anyone should be deciding what isa "big enough need" (IMO).

I would definitely use it if my baby girl had less allergies...I have had so many mamas offer to me so graciously.

AnimalHouse 07-23-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmomma83 (Post 15441602)
I think all babies have a true medical need for it...and I don't think anyone should be deciding what isa "big enough need" (IMO).

I would definitely use it if my baby girl had less allergies...I have had so many mamas offer to me so graciously.

The child I donated milk to couldn't survive without breastmilk... he has SMA and cannot tolerate food or formula. To me, providing him with breastmilk is more important than giving it to my healthy baby who can tolerate formula (hypothetical baby, because I've never been in the situation to need donor milk). If a mama had to choose between donating to my healthy baby, and my former recipient baby, I would much prefer the milk go to him.

I'm not trying to start an argument or debate, and I never said anyone should dictate what is a medical need... I was simply answering the OP's question with my opinion.

masja 07-23-2012 12:36 PM

No, tho I have breastfed my oldest 2 past 2 years of age and will do so with my youngest, if I couldn't bfeed I would have just used formula. Tho I think breast milk is great, it's not "liquid gold" to me so wouldn't feel the need to search out a way to get it. I think it's awesome though that are places that offer these services :)

lindsey.leanne 07-23-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks to those who have answered so far. I have a local mama who offered to help me as I have IGT and PCOS and thus far have been unable to up my supply enough to meet all of my sweet little ones needs. I accepted her offer as she had 500 oz that she was going to dispose otherwise. Thus far we have used it to supplement... I produce somewhere between 10 and 12 oz a day.

AnimalHouse 07-23-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsey.leanne (Post 15441694)
Thanks to those who have answered so far. I have a local mama who offered to help me as I have IGT and PCOS and thus far have been unable to up my supply enough to meet all of my sweet little ones needs. I accepted her offer as she had 500 oz that she was going to dispose otherwise. Thus far we have used it to supplement... I produce somewhere between 10 and 12 oz a day.

That's awesome, mama... about the donor, I mean :goodvibes:. And 10-12 oz/day is still wonderful, especially with IGT and PCOS! If you need more donor milk in the future, and this mama isn't able to help, have you checked out Eats on Feets and MilkShare?

lilmomma83 07-23-2012 01:14 PM

See that's the thing...so many mamas with extra milk that is just going to waste...I know some of my mama friends really want the milk to go to someone they know also.

I'm not saying some babies are not in dire immediate need...but there is no way to really measure who needs more as the benefits are life long.

jjgammon 07-23-2012 01:14 PM

In a heartbeat! Like a PP said though, I would rather it be offered to a baby with a serious medical condition first.

Luckily I have sooper boobies so it's not an issue. I make enough to donate, but I have high lipase so it goes to waste :sadno:

cbreeding 07-23-2012 06:51 PM

I think giving or receiving is great, and I would choose this option over formula. In fact, if I was unable to nurse for some reason, I would be open to having a wet nurse (those were the days:) too.

Breastmilk is a whole, unprocessed food that is specifically designed for human infants, the health, growth and development. Thankfully our children can survive and thrive on substitutes, but if I can have have/give the real thing, I'll take it.