Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Advice needed!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423335)

angelacez 07-24-2012 08:23 AM

Advice needed!!!

So hubby wants Connor(7) to go to school for a month of two to try out the IEP he JUST got after a year of working on it from the school(for LAST year, ugh). I really just want to send in the papers I already have ready to go, but feel like I should let him just have his way and keep the younger ones at home and opt out of K this year for Nathanael(5). Advice? I know I can pull him whenever, I do have all his materials. I know what I'd do with him too so it's not like it would be hard for me to jump back into it while still doing school with one. I just know that isn't the only reason I wanted him out, but is it worth fighting about a month or so? I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

We have been doing school off an on all summer. Probably 3 days a week. He(Connor) has been fighting me lately A LOT! He takes hours longer on his work than it would take(3 hours total if we do it all is taking him off and on all day). I almost just want him to go so he remembers how much longer it takes in ps. But I want him home with me! His younger brother breezes through his work now, realizing that he HAS to do it and he's doing a great job too. With Connor's IEP, he'd get help with testing and working in the classroom. He can not focus though, even with one on one teaching with me. His teachers and the people testing him said the same thing. Thoughts please!!! Thanks.

agzip03 07-24-2012 10:53 AM

It all honestly depends on the school's SpEd program. Although the teacher should have the IEP at the beginning of the school year thy may not get it for a month or so. The SoEd department might be understaffed and can't give your son the attention he needs. Bit will also take a while for the teacher to know your son and know how best to serve him and the other 20 kids in his class. You might want to take a more relaxed way of home schooling with your son for a while. You might want to do more hands on activities that feel more like games and fun then schoolwork with him. You know your son the best and what will work for him. Some kids are late bloomers and labeled early on. This affects them their whole academic career. I see this all the time as I'm a high school SpEd teacher. My husband and I have already decided that if Our kids need SpEd services for something like LD they will not be served. Of course we will homeschool, so that won't be as big of an issue. My husband is a teacher too. My vote would be to keep him home and do a more relaxed program with him for awhile until he gets out of the public school mode.

tallanvor 07-24-2012 10:53 AM

Re: Advice needed!!!

Did you take any time to deschool? He might do better if he had a good break to just relax and be a kid without any guided learning at all.

Beyond that, there are lots of ways to help kids focus. Have him chew gum while he's working. When he gets fidgetty, have him do jumping jacks or run around the outside of the house. Set up some rules and stick to them. In our house, for example, there is no electronic time unless schoolwork is finished at a certain time.

Also, 3 hours sounds like a lot of work for that age. My 11 yr old can usually finish her work in 3 hours. Maybe at this point he would do better if you covered the basics and maybe alternated other things. For instance, do math and language arts, but then alternate science and history, either by day or week.

And what type of learner is he? Does he need workbooks instead of hands on, or hands on instead of workbooks, or something else?

I don't see the point in sending him to school for something that you could just as easily work on at home.

Oh, and one more thing -- check his diet, if you haven't already. When my oldest has any artificial colors and sweeteners, she has a much harder time focusing.

angelacez 07-24-2012 02:06 PM

Yeah we did do the diet and we do keep out the artifical colors anyways, and sweeteners don't do a whole lot. They do help some. We also have him on focus facor which seems to help the most. But it's not a miracle cure or anything. For the summer we did a few weeks off here and there of school so they could have a break. Lots of trips that would be our 4th day of school but in a fun way. I noticed he went more crazy with out his mind thinking of things. I only have him do a full day(the 3 hours) which he could have finished in a lot less time had he not fought me the whole time. Normally we'd do one hour of math, reading, and grammer for the summer. I was trying to get him use to doing spelling and a little more writing and some how adding that ended up with 3 hours! It was only 2 extra things but he did not want to do it at all. We do journaling earlier in the am after scriptures, just one sentence with a picture that they got out of the reading. Nothing hard. The science I'd read and we'd talk about, same with history. So those were the easy classes, that we'd do after lunch. Normally we'd do those with pages to color or some other art project that they loved to do. Science and history we didn't do everyday, normally it's one every other and one day off them completely. He would take over an hour to do one page of math that would take about 15 mins or less to do. I would have him do it in the most hands on way possible but he'd do anything instead of trying and then throw a fit about having to do it. The school is going to contact me in the next month, before school starts to nail down a program for him. I do think he'll end up back at home, he was so excited to do home school at the end of the school year, but now he wants to go back. I may just let him and Dad go for it and see how it works. If they really can work for him and do what he needs it would be better than fighting with me all the time, but if it doesn't it would be easier to take him out than put him back in after a few months. We have been doing this all summer. His brother is loving home school and I don't want him going this year so he'll be home with me. He's already learning to read and doing really well with math as well and his handwriting is improving a lot. I guess it's their attitude and how they are looking at things. DS#2 wants to get it done and move on, while making you happy. DS#1, I honestly don't understand where he is coming from. He will complain forever and take so long to do it. If I thought it was just an off day, it would be different. He's been slowly more and more difficult as the summer has gone on. That's with weekly or every other week trips and at least one trip a week to the library and the park. It's been raining a lot so we've had a lot of play dates instead. I honestly don't know why he doesn't want to be home. THere are so many more fun things to do instead of being stuck in school all day! I was planning all these cool trips, loving the idea that after this month we'd be able to go some place whenever and just take school with us if we want to visit family for a week or so. It's so upsetting when it starts to unravel. I'll just have to pray that he changes his mind again and it is the best thing for his education to at least start out at ps and see that he can do it there, or that he'd rather be at home. I hope he decides to come home though and changes his attitude. He's almost 7 going on 16 I swear!

cowangel 07-27-2012 10:04 PM

He sounds like my 6 year old :) to an extent...we just try to work at his pace - some days he is more focused and gets more done...some days not...would that make a difference if you went with how much focus he has in a given day do you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelacez (Post 15446933)
Yeah we did do the diet and we do keep out the artifical colors anyways, and sweeteners don't do a whole lot. They do help some. We also have him on focus facor which seems to help the most. But it's not a miracle cure or anything. For the summer we did a few weeks off here and there of school so they could have a break. Lots of trips that would be our 4th day of school but in a fun way. I noticed he went more crazy with out his mind thinking of things. I only have him do a full day(the 3 hours) which he could have finished in a lot less time had he not fought me the whole time. Normally we'd do one hour of math, reading, and grammer for the summer. I was trying to get him use to doing spelling and a little more writing and some how adding that ended up with 3 hours! It was only 2 extra things but he did not want to do it at all. We do journaling earlier in the am after scriptures, just one sentence with a picture that they got out of the reading. Nothing hard. The science I'd read and we'd talk about, same with history. So those were the easy classes, that we'd do after lunch. Normally we'd do those with pages to color or some other art project that they loved to do. Science and history we didn't do everyday, normally it's one every other and one day off them completely. He would take over an hour to do one page of math that would take about 15 mins or less to do. I would have him do it in the most hands on way possible but he'd do anything instead of trying and then throw a fit about having to do it. The school is going to contact me in the next month, before school starts to nail down a program for him. I do think he'll end up back at home, he was so excited to do home school at the end of the school year, but now he wants to go back. I may just let him and Dad go for it and see how it works. If they really can work for him and do what he needs it would be better than fighting with me all the time, but if it doesn't it would be easier to take him out than put him back in after a few months. We have been doing this all summer. His brother is loving home school and I don't want him going this year so he'll be home with me. He's already learning to read and doing really well with math as well and his handwriting is improving a lot. I guess it's their attitude and how they are looking at things. DS#2 wants to get it done and move on, while making you happy. DS#1, I honestly don't understand where he is coming from. He will complain forever and take so long to do it. If I thought it was just an off day, it would be different. He's been slowly more and more difficult as the summer has gone on. That's with weekly or every other week trips and at least one trip a week to the library and the park. It's been raining a lot so we've had a lot of play dates instead. I honestly don't know why he doesn't want to be home. THere are so many more fun things to do instead of being stuck in school all day! I was planning all these cool trips, loving the idea that after this month we'd be able to go some place whenever and just take school with us if we want to visit family for a week or so. It's so upsetting when it starts to unravel. I'll just have to pray that he changes his mind again and it is the best thing for his education to at least start out at ps and see that he can do it there, or that he'd rather be at home. I hope he decides to come home though and changes his attitude. He's almost 7 going on 16 I swear!