Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastfeeding & ppd (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423650)

lecialefty 07-24-2012 08:01 PM

1-2-2013
Little update: I weaned about 3.5 weeks ago (just under 5 months from the original post) and I started counseling. Since weaning I have not had ppd symptoms. I think the counseling has helped but I believe weaning has played the biggest part. Literally within a few days I was feeling more like my old self. I am amazed at how much better I feel right now - thanks be to God!

Yes I know this is not the normal outcome but it has been the best one for me. People will always react differently to situations - most people do great with breastfeeding, and then there are some that have problems and stopping is the best thing they can do.

I wish I knew the medical answer to this (I suspect estrogen deficiency this time but have no way to confirm it now). I wish I knew what would happen if we're blessed with baby #3. but until then I will look for answers and take it one day at a time.

7-24-2012

If you had/have ppd, do you feel like nursing made it worse sometimes? Did your ppd go away if/when you quit nursing?

Just struggling to find some answers for myself right now.

TryingHard 07-24-2012 08:07 PM

Are you sure it is ppd?? I thought it for myself too but in the end it was D-MER. Can you check their website and see if you feel as described? Knowing what it is made me feel better. I know my SIL stopped bf'ing due to ppd and still cannot forgive herself for it. Her doctor just put her on meds without therapy and she was miserable for a long time.

I'm sorry mamma. I can imagine that whatever you're going thru is hard. *hugs*

lecialefty 07-24-2012 08:09 PM

Actually I believe I have both. And yes I'm sure I have ppd, very sure unfortunately.

TryingHard 07-24-2012 08:21 PM

There are some helpful tips on the D-MER website. I don't think that would help with ppd but it may give you a little more peace.
IMO, I don't believe nursing causes ppd. If you feel that the nursing agitates it more it is because there's the combo of the dmer.
I personally would seek out to a professional and see if therapy and guidance would help you. Because if you stop and still don't get better it will be too late to turn back, Kwim?
Doctors usually tell moms to stop if meds are needed because they don't want it going over to the baby. I am No professional but I am a strong believer in trying alternatives first.

VeganCupcake 07-24-2012 10:57 PM

Re: Breastfeeding & ppd

I definitely had PPD after my DD was born. I didn't really notice that nursing made it more severe--I didn't stop nursing, so I don't really know for sure, though. I do know that sleep deprivation certainly made me feel much, much worse. My DD was (and is) so intense that I don't think it would matter how I had fed her; she'd still probably have slept terribly and been on my body 20 hours a day.

I went to therapy and took medication, and that helped a lot. I felt pretty much normal after a couple of months. Still exhausted, but back to being myself.

ETA: I have never weaned a child, so I can't say for sure, but a friend of mine said she had a period of a couple of weeks of despondency when she weaned her toddler. I've read that that may be related to the reduction in the oxytocin (the lovey, feel-good hormone) that accompanies weaning, since it is released during nursing.

mamashhon 07-25-2012 06:31 AM

I'm struggling with depression this time (3rd baby). I had PPD (though mild) after each delivery. My first child i did not BF so i feel that contributed to it. This time i don't feel like nursing makes it worse, but i very much felt that way after my second. I did continue to BF for 15 months and can honestly say i was very ready to be done and my depression did get better after he was weaned. I'm glad i continued to nurse, i just wish i would have sought help rather than suffer alone. I didn't even tell my husband my feelings.

I just started counseling with this baby. I'm hoping counseling, nutrition and life style changes will be enough to break the cycle for me. You're not alone! :hugs:

lecialefty 07-25-2012 06:32 AM

See with d-mer I don't get those good oxytocin vibes :( I weaned dd1 fully at 12.5 months and didn't feel better or worse really, was suffering undisclosed ppd with her.

MamaZnR 07-25-2012 02:51 PM

No, it didn't go away with weaning. Sleep,support, therapy and meds are what helped me :).

Umm_Ibraheem 07-25-2012 04:37 PM

I had SEVERE PPD what helped me was talking to a professional, weekly in office sessions, support and my in-laws taking turns helping me with childcare. I also happened to have a friend who suffered from PPD with her last child and had gotten over it so she was a great support for me.

What helped my friend was meds, support and going back to work. Neither one of us felt breastfeeding helped or made it worst but we didn't stop so we probably wont know for sure.

luvthefluff 07-25-2012 10:36 PM

i had ppd and d-mer with my ds...which was horrible i might add! weening helped get rid of the d-mer symptoms but my ppd was still so severe it didnt really matter that the dmer was gone. i am getting ready to have a baby in a few weeks and the thoughts of ppd and dmer are a huge concern for me. one thing i am optomistic about is i am already on medication for depression..and it just so happens to be a dopamine leveler vs a seretonine one...and dmer is a dopamine imbalance so im hoping the medication that i am on will help eliminate that.