Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Due In July (
-   -   Ainsley Willow's Birth! (

erkelly 07-24-2012 10:12 PM

Ainsley Willow's Birth!
Ainsley Willow was born on 7/17 at 6:34 pm! She was 6 lbs 2 oz and 18 inches long! I am so in love! I can't believe that she is a week old today and that this week has gone by so fast. And that it's taken me this long to sit down and write our story!

During the pregnancy, I had low amniotic fluid. The doctors kept a close eye on her by doing an ultrasound a month. She was gaining well, so it didn’t cause a big concern. Then at our 36 week ultrasound, my placenta measured as grade 3. At this point, our OB mentioned an induction between weeks 38-39. He wanted me to do a biweekly NST to keep a close watch on little Ainsley. After my 1st NST, she did amazing and he thought we could push the induction back to week 39, but he would not let me go to my due date. At my 3rd NST, she still seemed to be doing well, but the OB (not my regular OB, mine was at the hospital on call that day) said that he wanted to induce me 3 days later because of the combination of the aged placenta and low fluids. This scared me, and I really wanted to hear it from my regular OB. I got an appointment with him the following morning and he agreed that it was time. We pushed the induction date back 1 day so that I could deliver with him. We discussed what medicines I felt comfortable accepting for the induction and set it up for me to arrive at the hospital Monday night to begin. My mom was able to change her work schedule around and come down early so that she could watch my 2 year old. Such a stress relief! She is the only person I feel comfortable leaving him with, especially for 3 days (before this, I’d only ever been away from him for 5 hours at the most)!

Monday night I gave all my love to DS and we headed off to the hospital. It is such a weird feeling knowing when you will be having your baby. When we arrived I was 1 cm dilated and having contractions every 3-5 minutes which just felt like period cramps and lower back pains (I had been having them for a week by this point). They inserted the cervidil at 10:30 pm and Teddy and I rested that night. In the morning they checked me and I was still 1 cm, 50% effaced and -2 station. My doctor broke my water at 6:15 am. From then on I could feel every contraction. For the first hour they were still coming every 3:30-4 minutes. Then they slowed down a little, coming about every 4-5 minutes. Around 11, my mom came to visit bringing my son. I loved having him there! I sat him on my lap and we bounced on the birth ball together. After they left at 12:30, they checked me, and I was 3 cm, -2 station and 60% thinned out. A little later, my in laws came to visit for a short while. Then at 2:00, Teddy left with his parents to get some food (his first meal since the night before). Of course when he left, the contractions started feeling more intense, coming every 2:30-3 minutes. I had to start focusing and slowly breathing through each contraction. On his way back, I told him it was time for it to just be us. At 3:30 they checked me and I was still at 3 cm and hadn’t progressed. I was really upset; I thought surely these contractions at least did something. I decided to accept a little Pitocin. They started me on 4 ml/h. My doctor and the nurse really thought I just needed a little help to get over the bump to 4-5 cm, and then my body would take it the rest of the way. Boy were they right! Contractions started getting really painful immediately after accepting the Pitocin. I became less communicative and sat on the birth ball, grabbing Teddy’s arm with my left hand and the bed rail with my right. After 45 minutes, it was feeling unbearable and I was questioning my ability to do this. I asked the nurse to check me. I decided that if I was still 3 cm, I would ask for an epidural :cringe:. The nurse checked me standing up; I did not want to get back on the bed! Well, I was 6 cm and 0 station! She reduced the Pitocin to 2 ml/h, but of course it didn’t let up the pains any! I was cautiously pessimistic and figured it could take me 20 minutes to get to 10, or it could take hours. I asked for a little something, and she gave me a small shot of Nubain through my IV. While it didn’t let up any pains, it did make me really sleepy. It made me fall asleep between every contraction, which I think helped more than anything to give me a little rest. The nurse left the room and I continued to labor on the birth ball. Before long, it felt like my body was starting to push my baby out. I yelled for my husband to call the nurse, something was happening. I jumped up on the bed and could only make it to the edge of the bed before I had to stay still through another contraction. The nurse came in then helped move me to the middle of the bed. She checked me and Ainsley was about to come out. I freaked and asked if my doctor was there yet (this was really reminding me of my son’s birth when the doctor didn’t get in our room until he was about to come out!). She said he was on his way. So I closed my eyes again and continued to feel my body push little Ainsley down. Teddy told me to look and my doctor was there. It took only a couple contractions of pushing, and little Ainsley Willow was born! The last push was super long; everyone was telling me not to let up. I think that was the push that gave me a 2nd degree tear. Right after she came out, the nurses unbuttoned my gown and placed Ainsley right on my chest. I tried putting her to the breast right away, but she was just so sleepy and cuddly (possibly as a result of the Nubain). They cleaned me up, then Teddy called my mom who was in the waiting room and her and my son came in. I loved having my little family of 4 all in the same room within minutes of Ainsley’s birth! While things calmed down, I was able to get Ainsley to the breast and she nursed like a champ! I am so happy that she is such an amazing nurser.

As far as early (10 days) inductions go, my labor couldn’t have gone any better. I received very minimal amounts of drugs to push my body to know that it was time to deliver my daughter. I’m so proud of myself!

Bouncing on the birth ball with DS

Right after delivery

Our first nursing session

Settled in our room

Going home!

One of her first cloth diapers

A week old

Mamata3 07-24-2012 11:12 PM

Congrats mama. BTW you look so young. :)

marliah 07-25-2012 05:14 AM

Re: Ainsley Willow's Birth!
Oh she is beautiful momma! Congratulations :)

remrath 07-25-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Ainsley Willow's Birth!
:yay: Congradulations! It sounds like you had a safe delivery that was as intervention free as possible. I'm so happy for you and she's absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

melyndie 07-25-2012 01:05 PM

I loved reading your story! I am glad your birth went so well. :)

Just curious, how did the placenta look after the birth? Was it as "old" as they thought?

erkelly 07-25-2012 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by melyndie
I loved reading your story! I am glad your birth went so well. :)

Just curious, how did the placenta look after the birth? Was it as "old" as they thought?

You know, that is a good question. I totally forgot to look at it and ask the doctor. Now I wish I did!

burnsis 07-25-2012 02:02 PM

Re: Ainsley Willow's Birth!
ddc! congrats! gorgeous pictures, love the second one especially:) she is precious!

Mac & Cheeses mom 07-25-2012 02:15 PM

Congrats!!!! She is adorable!

mumtothem 07-28-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Ainsley Willow's Birth!
Congrads!You two are beautiful!

melyndie 07-28-2012 06:14 PM


Originally Posted by erkelly

You know, that is a good question. I totally forgot to look at it and ask the doctor. Now I wish I did!

If you request your birth records, it should say! At least, mine did for my hospital birth.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.