Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Car (or SUV) suggestions for 3 across (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423730)

anne_josh 07-25-2012 01:05 AM

Car (or SUV) suggestions for 3 across

Basically, the title says it all.. I would like any and all suggestions for cars (strongly prefer a wagon) or SUV's where a 3-across is not a huge squish. Currently I drive a Toyota Matrix and 3 across in that car is mostly not happening, but if it does, it's very cramped and unpleasant.

Price & safety are my top considerations.

No minivans please. I just do not like them--nothing personal or anything ;) I've driven a couple and did not care for it.

Thanks in advance!

solarbabies 07-25-2012 04:31 AM

Re: Car (or SUV) suggestions for 3 across

I have heard the impala is a good size car....I love the idea of a mazda 5 but that is kinda mini vannish....kinda like a wagon.

mommyinthesun 07-25-2012 05:20 AM

Any full size sedan will do 3 across comfortably.

Midsized sedans do it without much hassle, but its still tight.
I've done 3 across in a Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, and Oldsmobile Achieva.

As far as SUVs, any will do as long as its not a small one. I really like the GMC Envoy XUV, Yukon XL (suburban), and the Honda Pilot/Toyota Highlander.

jjordan 07-25-2012 06:24 AM

The Ford Taurus is a piece of cake. :)

megkmc 07-25-2012 08:14 PM

Easy in my GMC Acadia! But I do have a Radian in the mix! So that makes it even easier.

luvsviola 07-25-2012 08:47 PM

I have 3 across in Dh's 04 Accord. We have 3 Radians in there, but can do

Onboard 35 Air, Radian, Maestro
Old Style Marathon, Radian, Maestro

Most things, as long as there is a Radian in the middle, will work.

The problem with 3 across is...the kids are in REALLY close quarters. When DS was still RFing, he could kick FF DD in the face, and while I was driving, there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it. We were RF, FF, RF. I had to FF him at 3, which was sooner than I would like because the danger to DD from getting kicked in the face was worse than the risk of an accident--she was getting kicked every single trip. In an ideal world, I would punish him and the behavior would stop, but in real life, he kicked her, she screamed, he thought it was hilarious and the cycle repeated itself.

OnAnnaTime 07-25-2012 10:08 PM

I've done 3 across in a Nissan Sentra, Pontiac Grand AM and a Dodge Neon. I have two Radians and a Combi Cocorro, and they have all fit really well. I also did the two radians with a Graco Snugride (no base) in the Sentra. It was harder w/ the infant seat in the middle bc I had to slip the baby under the seatbelt each time, and I would not want to do that on a regular basis.

smashncakes 07-25-2012 10:10 PM

I've done 3 across in my Mercury Grand Marquis with some big seats (Nautilus, old style Marathon, and a Boulevard are the current). My sister has a newer Impala and you can do a 3 across, but not with my big carseats...and its TIGHT, especially if a booster is in the mix, you'll scrape knuckles or have to pull the booster out to buckle, then push it back in against the seat (which is do-able, but a pain in the butt).

anne_josh 07-26-2012 12:05 AM

3 across in a Neon is impressive! I can't do it in the Matrix even with a Radian, unless the Radian is RF in the middle, and it's NOT comfortable for anyone even so.

Thanks for suggestions--I generally drive imports, but the Ford SUV's are looking tempting.

TPLmommy 07-26-2012 12:29 AM

We fit 3 Britax (older style RA RF, Frontier85, & "classic" RA RF) in our Honda Pilot. We love it! The seat configuration & the car. :chuckle:

We also fit 3 hand me down seats in my DH's new Honda Civic (Baby Trend infant seat, backless booster, & Graco convertible FF). A tight squeeze but it works for us. I would love to invest in 3 Radians for his car but that's pretty low on our list of future purchases. :(

HTH!