Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I filed my first formal complaint against a dr. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423877)

MamaNae 07-25-2012 12:56 PM

I filed my first formal complaint against a dr.

DD (4) was complaining of ear pain for the last couple weeks. I bought some ear dry stuff for swimmers ear and waited it out. Monday before last she was still REALLY upset about her ear so I took her into the dr...The PA said it was just a real minor ear infection in one ear and probably didn't need treated with antibiotics. Okay, great. I asked if it was possibly swimmers ear because we're at the pool almost daily. She said nope, just a minor infection. Okay, fine.

Fastforward to last Friday she was still dang near hysterical about her ear, even TOUCHING it sent her into a bawling fit. So we went back to the dr. (same PA) and she said again that the ear was completely clear, no infection no nothing. I asked AGAIN if it was possibly swimmers ear, saying again "She is in swim lessons 4 days a week, we have a pool pass we're at the pool almost daily." she said nope.

That night DH had enough and he took her into the regular hospital, Urgent Care. The doctor there diagnosed her with SEVERE swimmers ear. Said her left ear drum was >thisclose< to rupture. He was just shocked that the other woman hadn't caught it and prescribed antibiotics. He said swimmers ear is a little tough to diagnose sometimes but since I specifically asked both times she should have looked harder.

So I called the clinic manager on Monday and they finally got back to me today and I filed a formal complaint. The clinic manager was SUPER nice and said they really want to know these things. She said they're going to speak to her supervising physician and have a meeting with her and go from there.

I do feel bad filing the complaint. I really do...I don't want to wreck her career or deal with her hating me because it's a small clinic...I don't want the clinic getting closed down because it's such a blessing (it's through DH's employer, it's 100% free for us to be seen there)...but it really needed done I think...I've talked to several people who had missed diagnoses and misdiagnoses from her...so I'm not the first. IDK if they filed complaints or not.

MrsAsh 07-25-2012 01:04 PM

Re: I filed my first formal complaint against a dr.

My mom was told I had colic, when my ear drum had ruptured. That was from a ENT dr after he looked in my ears. My ped was in the same building and mom took me strait there and found it. I had cronic infections and tubes twice and my adnoids were the size of an adults. After surgeries I did fine. :)

danielle 07-25-2012 01:46 PM

I doubt if I'd feel badly. The PA needs to go back to school or something. Major fail there.

The clinic isn't a blessing if the advice you get hurts your child.

sisu 07-25-2012 01:48 PM

Don't feel bad. Clearly, she needs a wake-up call to be more thorough in her job. Healthcare is not a profession where it's OK to just go through the motions and get it over with.

MamaNae 07-25-2012 01:52 PM

There is more than one PA there...the other one is decent. And the one that just left was AWESOME...we loved her. I was so sad to see her go. Her boy was on our oldest's tball team once and his soccer team once...she's a fantastic physician.

The one who screwed up...I wasn't a fan of her. Before I didn't have any issues with her skills as a PA, she never failed me. She just had a REALLY abrasive personality and I didn't care for her...but she screwed up here and I won't forgive that. I just have to remember to tell the receptionist each time that I don't want my kids to see B...only A or J.

meldo 07-25-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner
I doubt if I'd feel badly. The PA needs to go back to school or something. Major fail there.

The clinic isn't a blessing if the advice you get hurts your child.

This.

When I was bleeding heavily at 15 weeks pg and called in to the doc on call to see if I should go into the ER or wait til the morning, she didn't even wait for me to ask. She said "well, at 15 weeks you're safe to miscarry at home." WTF!? I told my reg OB the next morning when I went in. She was grateful and was going to have a talk with the other doc about it. Her comments reflect on the entire practice. Same goes with your situation. Good for you for speaking up.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.

Rdesonia 07-25-2012 02:04 PM

You did the right thing. She was negligent and that could have caused harm to your child. You just called the office manager... you could have filed something with the state.

mommycass 07-25-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdesonia (Post 15451634)
You did the right thing. She was negligent and that could have caused harm to your child. You just called the office manager... you could have filed something with the state.

This!
I filed a complaint about the lady who took my labs in my Drs office. I had all 3 of my kids with me and she was very rude(we were blowing up gloves(2) while we were waiting and my youngest was playing with them under my supervision, she took them from her and said its a liability, choking hazard); then she proceeds to hand out stickers. My 8 yr old told her my youngest cant have them because she tries to eat them, which is correct. She responds with"oh, she'll be ok." And gives them to her anyway. I couldn't say what I wanted to because I was so light headed and quesy.
I know the practice will just say something to her and everyone goes on as normal:/

danielle 07-25-2012 03:32 PM

Oh! I thought you did call the state. If not, the office is lucky.

cacasey1981 07-25-2012 03:35 PM

I feel ya mama - we have a doc we should've filed a complaint against but they moved on before we could. She checked my sons ears at every visit and said they were looked fine. My son is laid back and just sits there when you look in his ears. We got a referral to an ENT for other issues and he said DS ears were you so impacted with wax that he couldn't see anything. We were pissed that DS had probably been having ear infections that were looked at like "daycare colds".