Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   What's the best long-term option? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424288)

stayinhomewithmy6 07-26-2012 10:01 AM

What's the best long-term option?
 
DH wants a vasectomy. We are done, so I am fine with the fact that it is a permanent solution, but not fine with it when I read about chronic pain and/or lack of sensation as side effects. Sometimes I feel like if it's what he wants, then it's fine with me. The problem with that is that he won't do any actual research on the topic. He has a few friends that have had it done and supposedly they're fine and don't have any issues (but do guys really talk about this kind of stuff?). I have been considering tubal ligation or implants, but have been reading horror stories about side effects from that, too. So, moving on... IUD? It would have to be copper because I have a strong dislike for hormonal birth control. I have used NFP for TTC in the past, but I don't really trust myself to use it for TTA for the next 10 yrs and not have a slip-up. We are both sick of using condoms, both just because we don't like them, and because we have had two mishaps with them in the past 3 1/3 months.

I guess what I'm looking for here is sort of WWYD or what have you done? I would love to hear what other people have chosen and if they are happy (or not) with their choices. :thumbsup:

spendie 07-26-2012 02:33 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
Ive been debating this too. We are done having kids, but neither one of wants to do anything permanent. I maybe want the mirena, but I've heard the partner can feel it??

crazyeyesmcgee 07-26-2012 02:37 PM

:popcorn: wondering the same...

tibeca 07-26-2012 03:27 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
There are no easy answers to the semi-permanent birth control debate.

For us, we'll be using NFP/FAM to avoid until we are ready for our next baby. We haven't agreed upon a permanent method for after because of the risks of tubal and vasectomy.

I have used an IUD in the past, but it fell out after just 1 month (talk about waste of money!). It is possible to get pregnant with an IUD, vasectomy and even tubal! How frustrating!

stayinhomewithmy6 07-26-2012 06:50 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 15457795)

I have used an IUD in the past, but it fell out after just 1 month (talk about waste of money!). It is possible to get pregnant with an IUD, vasectomy and even tubal! How frustrating!

That's crazy, for it to fall out!!! And only after a month!

Well, there's always abstinence, lolol! I think if I were to get pregnant after a tubal or vasectomy, I would figure that it was *really* meant to be, which would make it easier to accept. One thing that scares me about IUDs is the high chance of miscarriage if you do get pregnant with it. But, then if you get pregnant after a tubal, there's a high chance of ectopic. Definitely no easy answer!

Kap7270 07-26-2012 09:55 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy6 (Post 15458812)
That's crazy, for it to fall out!!! And only after a month!

Well, there's always abstinence, lolol! I think if I were to get pregnant after a tubal or vasectomy, I would figure that it was *really* meant to be, which would make it easier to accept. One thing that scares me about IUDs is the high chance of miscarriage if you do get pregnant with it. But, then if you get pregnant after a tubal, there's a high chance of ectopic. Definitely no easy answer!

I think there's a higher risk of ectopic with iuds too

leadmare 07-27-2012 01:18 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
Check out the Paraguard /non hormonal IUD. I I had one after getting sick of all the hormonal bc options. Not using currently have (we want more kids, lol), but for a longer term option it would be ideal. I think that's what we'll use when we're done having kids, but will still have fertile years left :) good luck!

fwm0615 07-31-2012 08:49 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
So here is how a doctor explained this to me because I was worried about ectopic with Mirena. So Mirena is 99.8% effective (if I remember correctly) so because your chance of pregnancy is so low, you have a lower chance of having an ectopic pregnancy versus taking no birth control. Of those on Mirena .1% will have an ectopic pregnancy (1 in 1000 women taking Mirena per year). Compared to .3-5% (3-5 per 1000 women per year) who are on no birth control. Another words, because Mirena prevents so many pregnancies, it helps to lower the risk BUT if you happen to get pregnant with Mirena, it does increase your chances slightly. Clear as mud, right? We'll probably do the vasectomy. I can't do long term bc. Yuck! Good luck ladies! :)

Kap7270 07-31-2012 09:32 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwm0615 (Post 15482278)
So here is how a doctor explained this to me because I was worried about ectopic with Mirena. So Mirena is 99.8% effective (if I remember correctly) so because your chance of pregnancy is so low, you have a lower chance of having an ectopic pregnancy versus taking no birth control. Of those on Mirena .1% will have an ectopic pregnancy (1 in 1000 women taking Mirena per year). Compared to .3-5% (3-5 per 1000 women per year) who are on no birth control. Another words, because Mirena prevents so many pregnancies, it helps to lower the risk BUT if you happen to get pregnant with Mirena, it does increase your chances slightly. Clear as mud, right? We'll probably do the vasectomy. I can't do long term bc. Yuck! Good luck ladies! :)

Okay, I was curious so looked up the doctor info on the Mirena website. Your stats seem to be accurate: 99.8% effective per year for preventing pregnancy, and the ectopic rate is .1% of Mirena users. Not sure what the rate is among women not on birth control. But I think I disagree with your conclusions a little. Half of the women who get pregnant while using Mirena will have an ectopic pregnancy (.2% get pregnant and .1% have an ectopic pregnancy). So while your overall risk for an ectopic pregnancy might be lower while using Mirena, if you do get pregnant while using Mirena then the odds that it is ectopic are drastically increased.

Allisonmamaof3 08-01-2012 08:25 PM

Re: What's the best long-term option?
 
We just had baby #3 and she's our last. Waiting on insurance details to see if it'll cover a vasectomy, but it does make me nervous although almost everyone we know who's had one says it's no big deal and they end up loving it. I'm just sad that I won't be able to be pregnant, give birth and breastfeed a tiny one again. :(


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors