Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What do you use for 2nd grade math? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424503)

mommix6 07-26-2012 05:18 PM

What do you use for 2nd grade math?

I need something that is not time consuming and can be done primarily on own with basic instruction/help. Saxon was too much for my other child and I am not sure if he is quite ready for teaching textbooks 3 yet. Please tell me what you have used and if you love it and feel it is worthwhile.

fawnlovesjasper 07-26-2012 05:34 PM

Re: What do you use for 2nd grade math?

Do the placement test for Teaching Textbooks 3, he may be ready. Other than that, you aren't going to find anything that a 2nd grader could do even remotely independantly.

ETA we use McRuffy and will until we get to the end of his series. They aren't independant, but they aren't time consuming for me. They are very hands on, colorful and fun. My kids love it and I really enjoy teaching it to them.

TJR2119 07-26-2012 06:19 PM

We use an online curriculum, Time4Learning.com. Ds can (and does) do it with minimal supervision. He is due to start 1st grade in September (although we are already over halfway done with 1st grade ;)). It is an interactive program and he LOVES it. It has all of the core subjects, which you can use as a supplement to whatever you currently use, or you can use it as your main curriculum.

tallanvor 07-26-2012 06:32 PM

Math-U-See. It can be done with minimal parental involvement because it comes with teaching DVD's. However, it has a very different approach than most other curriculums, so it wouldn't work well if you were going to use it for one year and then switch.

blondeviolin 07-26-2012 07:39 PM

My accelerated kid is using MEP and Singapore.

iris0110 07-26-2012 07:57 PM

Kearnan used Head of the Class for all of his core subjects and had no issue but he picks up math very easily. He needed minimal supervision for school work with HOTC, I just helped him to log on and make sure he understood the concepts in grammar and learned his spelling words. He kept up with math on his own (I taught him science and history separately). A child who is weaker in math may need a little help learning the math concepts but I still think it could be done with just a little parent supervision.

MDever 07-26-2012 08:03 PM

In the past I have made my own curriculum, Time4Learning(during a health crisis and pregnancy), and this year we are using Math Mammoth. If you are interested in Math Mammoth after looking at it Homeschool Coop will have it at a great price in the next few weeks.

dressagemom 07-26-2012 09:09 PM

I love Math-U-See. Day One involves us watching the video together, with me going over the lesson with the child to make sure they understand the concept. I will often do the day's lesson sitting there with the child. Day Two-Five involves the child working on their own to complete the rest of the lesson and the review section. I am available to assist if the child needs help, but they pretty much do the work on their own.

mama_to_DJM 07-26-2012 10:54 PM

Isn't it crazy how many options there are?? I've used Horizons math for all 3 years of our homeschooling, and we really like it. My boys just got their new math books in the mail today, and they were so excited! They want to start now even though it's still summer. I've used their K through 3rd grade workbooks. I love the books- they're colorful (and hold the kids' interest), and I like how they teach concepts in a spiral way. As in- introduce a new concept, do 10 or so problems on that, then 10 review problems, followed by 10 review problems of a different topic, etc. I think that helps it be not too repetitive, and it does a good job of balancing new topics & reviewing.

Each year consists of 2 student workbooks, and a teacher's guide. I only got the guide my 1st year, but I don't anymore because I never used it. As for grade level- my oldest son is advanced, so he started with the 1st grade curriculum in K. My other son is more at-grade level, so I had him use the K curriculum in K. Those levels fit them really well.

alanajo 07-26-2012 11:13 PM

We are using a mixture of public school books/workbooks that I was given from a friend and others I've picked up along the way. Dalton will be starting 2nd grade but is weak in math. We will use the very end of Harcourt Math K for beginning addition, subtraction, etc. Then I have Scott Foresman - Addison Wesley Math 1, Harcourt Math 1, Jumpstart 2nd Grade Math, Comprehensive Curriculum Grade 2. I'm sure I have more on the shelf as well.