Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Supply issues around AF (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424555)

snugglesnsunshine 07-26-2012 07:48 PM

Supply issues around AF

I've noticed with my last 3 babies that when I'm around 5-7 days from starting AF, baby gets antsy while nursing. Fusses a little, latch, unlatch, latch, unlatch. Plus my supply seems to go down some but only during that time. Everything goes back to normal the 2nd or 3rd day of AF. I have read that the hormone levels around that time changes the taste of the milk. So it's either that or that baby has to work a little harder to get the milk out, since supply is lower. Anyone else notice this? Or do I just have irate hormones, lol)

And question #2--- any ideas on how to get around this? (I took fenugreek, fennel, drank plenty during those days and nothing helped., btw)

abunchoflemons 07-26-2012 08:45 PM

Re: Supply issues around AF

Thistle & mothers milk tea to try are other things to tryfor supply.i only had supply drop after I got pregnant not period. Milk taste change & suplly drop in preg.

snugglesnsunshine 07-27-2012 09:26 PM

Thanks. I've asked dh to pick up thistle and he forgets. I know I'm not preggers so now I think I'm a weirdo. Hehe

deezee02 07-28-2012 06:56 AM

Magnesium calcium can help with af supply issues.

tibeca 07-28-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deezee02 (Post 15465362)
Magnesium calcium can help with af supply issues.

Yup!

Dawndelion 07-28-2012 08:06 AM

If you are a weirdo, I am too since I had the same issue. I never did find anything that helped, but hopefully you'll have more luck than I did. It makes for an annoying few days every month!

deezee02 07-28-2012 11:46 AM

Ok...ds is not nursing so I can elaborate.

I get my cycles back right at 6 weeks. It has effected my supply with all of my kids. I would say around 3-4 months I start really dipping and by 6 months I am almost dry. . Ods is a heart baby so I was pumping and could not keep it up. Would not take supplements due to all of the meds he was taking to keep him alive. By 3 months I was pumping drops (like 1 oz a day total, pumping every 2-3 hours). With dd she chunked up fast and then lost weight between 4-6 months, tried all the natural methods (pumping between, pumping while, fenugreek ect). Nothing worked. With yds same thing. I started with mag. Cal. And that helped a lot in the beginning, but I eventually had to move to Domperidone. Thankfully, that did the trick and we have been successfully nursing for 11 months.

snugglesnsunshine 07-28-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks so much. Its good to know its not just me. My mom picked up the thistle today and i think I've got mag in my cabinet. I don't take extra calcium because of the clotting disorder i have.

I've nursed 11-1/2 years of my life. Avg. Of 2 years per child. But each time i struggled to keep supply up after they were 6 months. I at least have a plan now. Thank you!

jessnic 07-28-2012 04:07 PM

Taking extra iron supplements, my prenatals, calcium magnesium zinc supplements and evening primrose oil, plus extra hydration seems to do the trick for me. DS doesnt seem to care for the taste of my milk around AF but as ge has gotten older he just deals :)

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe :)

mamaratliff 07-29-2012 11:15 PM

Love this thread! I never knew this, and have always struggled with supply when AF returns :D I was already even taking a magnesium supplement, and noticed a dip in supply when I ran out. Gonna keep up with this!