Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Juggling multiple types of homeschooling? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424617)

stephie_j24 07-26-2012 11:50 PM

Juggling multiple types of homeschooling?

I have a hypothetical "is this even do-able" question for you all. I am doing an ecclectic, almost unschooling type thing with my DD for this year (first grade). We currently have my nephew living with us, but he's set to go home in two weeks. However, events of the last few days have changed things up a bit... it's possible now that he might live with us for quite a bit longer. His family is not "into" homeschooling but would consider it, but they would want me to do TX's online public school option (we live in AZ but apparently it's available to TX residents living out of state). He is also a first grader. Would it be crazy to try to homeschool 2 first graders in different ways at the same time?

Sending him to public school here *might* be an option, but we are military and since he's not a dependent, would not be able to go to the DOD school here on post, so it would get tricky.

tibeca 07-27-2012 07:39 AM

Re: Juggling multiple types of homeschooling?

The online schooling is more or less all inclusive, so aside from making sure he sat in front of the computer at time X, it won't be much different from sending him to school and having to help with homework. Either way, you would have that to deal with.

alyssa&rylan's-mommy 07-27-2012 08:15 AM

I think it would definitely be possible. Lots of homeschool families do "school" differently with each child because all children learn differently. I don't know why that would really be any different, as long as you were committed to it.

tallanvor 07-27-2012 08:18 AM

It would be possible, but it would also be difficult. If the TX online schooling is like the CA one, it is quite lengthy, and he will be doing work for quite a bit longer, probably, than your daughter. That will probably lead to bad feelings and some struggling and much stress.

AVeryHappyMama 07-27-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 15460856)
It would be possible, but it would also be difficult. If the TX online schooling is like the CA one, it is quite lengthy, and he will be doing work for quite a bit longer, probably, than your daughter. That will probably lead to bad feelings and some struggling and much stress.

A thought on this. If it ends up taking "too long" in comparison, would your family be willing to use a different (ie not public education) correspondence course? There are many out there.

Kristi26 07-28-2012 06:19 AM

We did cyber school last year with the three oldest kids, but it wasn't working for DD so I did my own thing with her while the older boys continued with cyber school. It wasn't bad at all. I'd direct my boys where they should be, look over anything they needed me to look at, and answer any questions they had while doing more fun kindergarten things with DD in our dining room. It definitely took them longer to finish though as I feel that our cyber school had a TON of busy work that was unnecessary.

morethancjsmom 07-29-2012 07:45 AM

We do a cyber charter in PA. This year I am adding all about spelling and mathusee for both kids. Plus dd will so virtual class but ods will still be doing self paced. I think that its totally possible but depends on the online school itself. We found that our school had a ton of busy work but after speaking with my kids instructional supervisors i found out that they did not have to do every single page in the work books, the only mandatory ones were the ones we submitted for grades. So we ditched some of the busy work.