Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Wondering..how many hours... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424622)

court3189 07-27-2012 12:42 AM

Wondering..how many hours...

per week do most homeschooled children spend sitting quietly being 'taught'? I've sometimes casually mentioned the idea, but wondered how much learning can be incorporated into hands on activities, versus how much occurs in a traditional 'schooling' format?

littlemsmom 07-27-2012 04:25 AM

We don't sit quietly at all. Since I have 3 young kids to teach our school day is pretty much controlled chaos for 2-3 hours a day. Seems like they are only "quiet" when I'm reading to them.

tibeca 07-27-2012 07:37 AM

Re: Wondering..how many hours...

There is no "traditional" schooling in our homeschool. Since it is just DD1 (4yo) and DD2 (20 mo) we do only hands on activities. We have board games, drawing, reading stories, chalk, etc. DD is well in advance of kindergarten level, and she wouldn't start for another school year (so 2 years ahead). No need to sit them down and force teach them (IMO).

alyssa&rylan's-mommy 07-27-2012 08:11 AM

The only time that we're actually doing "quiet learning" is when DD wants to work in her workbooks (which she loves!). My children are 3.5 and almost 5 though, so a lot of what we do is hands on.

MamaNae 07-27-2012 08:16 AM

My oldest is 7.5 and working at a 3rd grade level, he spends roughly 2-3hrs doing bookwork/reading/being taught a day. BUT he has a pretty mellow personality so it works for him.

We're going to be beginning K with my 4.5 year old and pre-k with my 2.5 year old this year and I don't foresee any 'quiet' time for them. It's all very hands on, small and gross motor learning. That is what they need.

JennTheMomma 07-27-2012 08:20 AM

It varies from week to week. Depends on what we're doing that week. I try to do atleast 1 hour of workbook/worksheet time (which ds1 likes) and then we do a lot of hands on and real life experience schooling.

iris0110 07-27-2012 09:46 AM

I think it depends on the child, grade level and curriculum you use. My kids are 6 and almost 11 and we use a school at home type model (getting a bit away from it with my youngest) so we spend more of our time working quietly. Kearnan spends an hour or so on his Saxon math, then he moves on to spelling, writing and reading (either comprehension with me which he reads out loud but still is traditional school style no up running around, or reading a book to himself quietly) and then we do history or science which I read to the kids. There are usually projects that go with our history and science. Tharen also sits for his phonics, spelling and math before moving on to history and science. His math and phonics are on the computer. As we enter 2nd grade Tharen will be using a new math program with more hands on math but phonics, spelling and grammar will still mostly be book work.

hac1224 07-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlemsmom (Post 15460212)
We don't sit quietly at all. Since I have 3 young kids to teach our school day is pretty much controlled chaos for 2-3 hours a day. Seems like they are only "quiet" when I'm reading to them.

Ditto! If I wanted them to sit quietly for hours on end, I would send them to public school. :mrgreen:

HeatherlovesCDs 07-27-2012 10:55 AM

We school about 2hrs a day with my 1st and tag-along pre-k'ers, but it isn't quietly working. LOL! We do some worksheet type pages and such, but not all that and with lots of littles around, I wouldn't say it is traditional schooling or quietly schooling.

AbbieJack 07-27-2012 11:13 AM

Umm.... They are hardly ever sitting quietly . While I'm reading is about the only time.