Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you have experience with Rubella? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424743)

tara 07-27-2012 11:52 AM

Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
I hope this is the correct place to post this question!
DD2 had a God awful reaction to the MMR and I finally figured it out-it was Rubella. So, she will not have the 2nd shot.

Anyway, here's my question... DS has not had the MMR vax. He has this crazy head-to-toe rash and looking at pictures online it sure looks like rubella. Does the rash go away in 3 days? This is day 2 and he's starting to get cranky, I just gave him benedryl and it seemed to help.

I don't want to take him to the ped. b/c he's an a$$ and will send him for ridiculous tests. For example......DS doesn't talk yet (no autism, this is typical for our family) so he tried to send him for speech and audiology consult and diagnosed him with an expresive speech delay which has caused our insurance to NOT cover the tests! We cancelled the consults. That's another story and I'd be happy to discuss it later :) )

tweety612 07-27-2012 01:43 PM

Here is some info on rubella

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Rubella/

If you are not comfortable taking your children to their pedi when they are ill, sounds like you need to find another who is more in line with your parenting style.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 07-27-2012 02:38 PM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
um.. I don't know if this is helpful.. but...

My daughter got the spots from the MMR and they did go away after 3 days. The only reason I wasn't completely freaking out was because they were blanching like they were supposed to. So, pick a spot, push on it and let go. If the color changes to skin and back to spot color, then you should be fine. If it stays pink the entire time, you may have something to worry about.

tara 07-27-2012 02:51 PM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tweety612 (Post 15462201)
Here is some info on rubella

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/Rubella/

If you are not comfortable taking your children to their pedi when they are ill, sounds like you need to find another who is more in line with your parenting style.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

That's on my short list but there are only 2 (we're rural)! DH and I are seeing a new CNP who's family practice so I'm hoping she'll take the LOs too. Everyone around is pretty anti-attached/crunchy/different so our alternative is to drive 1 hour and that just isn't practical when we have a sick child! Believe me, it's frustrating!!!

tara 07-27-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15462475)
um.. I don't know if this is helpful.. but...

My daughter got the spots from the MMR and they did go away after 3 days. The only reason I wasn't completely freaking out was because they were blanching like they were supposed to. So, pick a spot, push on it and let go. If the color changes to skin and back to spot color, then you should be fine. If it stays pink the entire time, you may have something to worry about.

DD's rxn was terrible-4 weeks, 2 ER visits, urgent care, pedicatrician and only one ER doc would say it was vax-related! ugh!
DS's trunk is blanching now but his legs aren't. He feels well and from what I've read you can't do anything for rubella anyway. The dr. confirms it only to report to CDC. So, when he gets blood work done I'll have them test for that too. Worth a phone call to the ped anyway, I guess.

Kätzchen 07-27-2012 10:39 PM

If you're looking at possible Rubella, you really ought to contact your paediatrician... If you cant talk to our child's doctor in a time of need, something has to change.

frimousse 07-28-2012 08:29 AM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
My ODD had Rubella twice... not related to her vaccines. The doctor ust looked at it and said it was rubella, no tests were actually performed. It is so important to be able to go to the doctor to make sure things are ok with your child.

tara 07-28-2012 09:19 AM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by frimousse (Post 15465477)
My ODD had Rubella twice... not related to her vaccines. The doctor ust looked at it and said it was rubella, no tests were actually performed. It is so important to be able to go to the doctor to make sure things are ok with your child.

And he didn't prescribe anything? I'm thinking Rubella is like Chicken Pox, doc takes a look, makes a dx and sends you on your way. I'm almost 40 so I grew up getting chicken pox and everything else and NOT going to the dr unless there was a problem. All the moms knew what all the viruses looked like.

KaleidoscopeEyes 07-28-2012 10:12 AM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
ds1 got what i suspect was rubella last year, he was actually fully vaxed too. we didnt do anything and it went away. didnt sound like there was a lot of treatment options anyway. no one else in the house got sick

KaleidoscopeEyes 07-28-2012 10:13 AM

Re: Do you have experience with Rubella?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tara (Post 15465686)
And he didn't prescribe anything? I'm thinking Rubella is like Chicken Pox, doc takes a look, makes a dx and sends you on your way. I'm almost 40 so I grew up getting chicken pox and everything else and NOT going to the dr unless there was a problem. All the moms knew what all the viruses looked like.

that is why we didnt go in, sounds like they dont really have anything they can do for it other than say "yep, that's rubella alright, get plenty of rest and fluids"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors