Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1 month old constantly pooping?!?!? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424759)

Dr.Shea 07-27-2012 11:26 AM

1 month old constantly pooping?!?!?

My LO just hit the one month mark and for the majority of his little life he poops nonstop! I thought he would outgrow it but no luck yet. Just wondering if this is cause for concern or just something to ride out. It seems like every time he moves, grunts, caughs or blinks he poops, not big poops, just little shards constantly. If he is awake I will go through 10-20 diapers easily in an hr or two if he is sleeping it wakes him up everytime. Just letting him sit to work more out doesnt work he only goes again if he is changed and he has a raw bum because of it. He rarely has an actual big poop that fills his diaper. Anyone else experience this with there breastfead babies? Im going through diapers like crazy and only have a small newborn cloth stash....any help at all would be great!

Thanks Momas

momof3boys1girl 07-27-2012 11:41 AM

Re: 1 month old constantly pooping?!?!?

sounds normal to me :giggle: they can poop a lot!

juliasmom 07-27-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momof3boys1girl
sounds normal to me :giggle: they can poop a lot!

Yup! My 2.5 month old still poops 6-8 times a day. It is crazy that 8 times a day or once every 8 days are both completely normal :)

tibeca 07-27-2012 11:48 AM

Could just be his normal BUT the diaper rash is cause for concern. What are you using for wipes/solution? He may not finish pooping because it hurts because his butt is raw.

Try switching to just water to rinse his little bum rather than wiping with any kind of solution. If that doesn't help have you looked at what a picture of a yeast rash looks like? If it is yeast, you will need to treat him as well as the diapers (diapers can be washed with large quantities of vinegar or grapefruitseed extract). Also consider a topical protectant, desitin, balmex, etc (not diaper safe) or a diaper safe balm OR coconut oil (diaper safe). Diaper free time is a GOOD thing to help with healing.

Also consider whether the diapers are making it worse. Some babies are sensitive to detergents, others synthetic fabrics and still others have a problem with moisture and do better with synthetics that wick instead.

Finally, does he have a red ring around his anus? That can be a sign of a food sensitivity. If that is the case, look into an elimination diet, or food diary. The elimination diet will clear up the diaper rash and constant pooping (if the problem is food related).

tibeca 07-27-2012 11:49 AM

Double post

juliasmom 07-27-2012 11:55 AM

EBF poop is very caustic stuff! I agree that giving him a butt bath at every change, with warm running water in the sink and mild soap (i use a squirt of CJs carcass cleaner) to get all of it off gently. Then try a barrier (Again I use CJs Butter) at every change.

Mom2jandb 07-27-2012 02:29 PM

We had this too and it was actually diarrhea. I wasn't sure of it until I went on an elimination diet. When I cut out wheat and eggs she stopped pooping 30+ times a day practically over night. When the constant leaky pooping stopped the rash went away.

You can't tell if it is diarrhea in a diaper because the liquid is soaked right up. I caught some of DDs bad poops in an infant potty and they were definitely watery. The "new" better poops are more creamy.

kgmom 07-27-2012 03:47 PM

My youngest was like that. At some point it stopped (maybe around 3 months?) and she went to only pooping once a week or less!

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

jaelynsmommy61607 07-28-2012 03:33 AM

My son is 5 weeks and he does this. I'll be honest if its just a tiny poop mark I don't wake him up to change him. He doesn't have huge opposition often. Just a few times so far. I figure its a good thing, means he's eating plenty!

magdalynaa 07-28-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca
Finally, does he have a red ring around his anus? That can be a sign of a food sensitivity. If that is the case, look into an elimination diet, or food diary. The elimination diet will clear up the diaper rash and constant pooping (if the problem is food related).

This. LO pooped a little bit every half hour, which I thought was normal for BF babies. She eventually got a red ring that blistered. It was AWFUL. I cut out dairy, and the blisters, ring, and constant pooping cleared up in a few days.