Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Questions about homemade bread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424790)

HeatherlovesCDs 07-27-2012 12:42 PM

Questions about homemade bread

I am thinking about trying to make our bread. We eat a TON of bread and go through about a loaf a day. We get it at Costco for about $2 a loaf, but almost always end up having to get some a the local grocery store also because we go through it so fast. The best price we can get there is $2.88 unless it's on sale. So, here are my questions:

1. If I use a bread machine (because I'm not really sure I'm up to totally doing it myself yet), will the loaves be similar in size to that which I get at the store? Like will I still only need about one loaf a day or will I need 2? I feel like when my mom used to do it they were smaller. We have 5 going on 6 kids. So, our bread needs are large. :giggle:

2. Will it really save money? I can't imagine it won't, but still....will it really?

3. If we go through that much, am I going to be making bread constantly??

4. Will I be able to make 100% whole wheat that is soft? I prefer 100% whole wheat, but it needs to be soft. The kind I buy is soft and does not have any HFCS in it.

5. Will the loaves be good for sandwiches and toast, even french toast? That is mainly what we use it for.

6. Would I be better off with a bread machine or doing it by hand and why? I'd rather use a machine, but I'm open to hearing why that isn't the best way to go.

I do make things from scratch, but not a lot of baking type stuff, other than basic desserts and banana bread type breads. (I've never used yeast.) I've done homemade pasta, but not often. I like to cook, but I'm not really a baker. However, I can follow a recipe and I can definitely learn. But, it needs to be worth it for me to really want to take the time to learn and then keep it up.

Thanks!!

Mamma527 07-27-2012 01:03 PM

I don't have answers to all your questions, but I just wanted to say that I love my bread machine, but a lot of recipes are better if you don't let the bread machine actually bake the bread. At least this is what I've found. I use mine a lot for pizza dough, French bread loafs, croissants, etc. but all of those after it makes the bread I take it out and shape it, then put it in the oven.

It does make a smaller loaf and I'm not sure I would want to make a loaf everyday.

HeatherlovesCDs 07-27-2012 01:06 PM

Re: Questions about homemade bread

Thanks! That is good info.

I have a double wall oven. So, in theory, I could make it by hand and just make 6-8 loaves a week at one time, but that sounds so tiring. I like the idea of just tossing the ingredients in the machine and going to bed. :giggle:

abunchoflemons 07-27-2012 01:07 PM

A neighbor makes 6 loaf Breads at a time in the pans & its smaller length wise than our .99 a loaf at store(wheat at aldi). It is slightly wider I think top to bottom. I like it for sandwiches or regular breaf & butter (homemade). I would almost think u would b making all the time.

Cost wise I don't know. My hubby works at food warehouse so comes home with free bread sometimes. We go through like 2 loaves a week with 4 people. We were pondering cost too since on budget.

Hopefully u get reply to some of the rest of the questions.

abunchoflemons 07-27-2012 01:07 PM

A neighbor makes 6 loaf Breads at a time in the pans & its smaller length wise than our .99 a loaf at store(wheat at aldi). It is slightly wider I think top to bottom. I like it for sandwiches or regular breaf & butter (homemade). I would almost think u would b making all the time.

Cost wise I don't know. My hubby works at food warehouse so comes home with free bread sometimes. We go through like 2 loaves a week with 4 people. We were pondering cost too since on budget.

Hopefully u get reply to some of the rest of the questions.

HeatherlovesCDs 07-27-2012 01:14 PM

Thanks!

I can get it for a $1 at the Dollar Tree. Believe it or not, they get our brand. But, the problem is they have no set schedule. It is not delivered at the same time or even same day every week. And some weeks, they don't get it at all. It is totally unpredictable. :banghead: And, since it's so cheap, if you aren't there within a couple hours of them delivering it, it's gone. With 5 kids who are 6 and under and one more on the way, I just can't go there every day hoping to find it. It just isn't even reasonable. Plus, I rarely go there anyway. So, it's not like I'm already there. I wish it was a predictable schedule and I could get it there. :(

I'm sure I could get my bread supplies at Costco which should save money if I make it at home, but I'm really not sure.

3 ladybugs 07-27-2012 01:25 PM

You might be able to save money if you do sourdough as then you don't have to pay for yeast. However your mixer may need to be upgraded depending on what you have. I have an artisan KA and I KNOW it wouldn't handle more then 1 loaf at a time. I get my flour from Amazon for about $1 a pound. I can get my gluten for about $3 for a package and that lasts me about 8 loaves +/-. The only other things in my bread are water, and 1-2 tablespoons of honey and 2.5 teaspoons salt. So very little cost there. I bet at the end of the day you would be at maybe $1.50 for a loaf if that. Depending on the cost of wheat.

The recipe I use (which I slightly modified) is very soft and fluffy. I have used it with toast and it is good for that. Never made french toast with it, but I have made cinnamon raisin bread with it and I like that so I can't image french toast would be much different. The worst part about my bread is it takes about 24 hours +/- to make. However you could easily make more then 1 loaf for the same amount of time if you had more then one loaf pan. Sourdough takes longer to rise then normal yeast. However it isn't "sour" if your worried about off putting your children. I am actually thinking about making a double batch one day and freezing one before it rises to see how that works.

My bread machine couldn't keep up with DH and I so I don't think it would work for your family. I found it wasn't worth the work it took to get it right. Oh and my bread is a machine kneed bread so that is easy too. I am a lazy cook. :giggle2:

mama_to_DJM 07-27-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 15462189)

1. If I use a bread machine (because I'm not really sure I'm up to totally doing it myself yet), will the loaves be similar in size to that which I get at the store? Like will I still only need about one loaf a day or will I need 2? I feel like when my mom used to do it they were smaller. We have 5 going on 6 kids. So, our bread needs are large. :giggle: The loaves I make are about the same weight as the ones in a store. We're a family of 5 (not all of which are big bread eaters), and a loaf lasts us about 3 days.

2. Will it really save money? I can't imagine it won't, but still....will it really? It depends- if you buy cheapo 99 cent bread, no. But if you compare homemade bread to healthy store bread- yes. One time I priced it out, and the recipe I use came to about $1.20/loaf.

3. If we go through that much, am I going to be making bread constantly?? If you have a big enough mixer, then you could make several at a time and freeze them. But I have a medium-sized KA (Artisan), and I only make a loaf at a time.

4. Will I be able to make 100% whole wheat that is soft? I prefer 100% whole wheat, but it needs to be soft. The kind I buy is soft and does not have any HFCS in it. Yes, it's possible! We're not supposed to post links, but I can tell you to go to my blog (in siggie), and under "Reader Favorites" at the top is my wheat bread recipe. It is so good- soft and 100% wheat!

5. Will the loaves be good for sandwiches and toast, even french toast? That is mainly what we use it for. I haven't used it for french toast, but I know it's great for sandwiches & toast.

6. Would I be better off with a bread machine or doing it by hand and why? I'd rather use a machine, but I'm open to hearing why that isn't the best way to go. What I've heard people recommend is to use a bread machine for making the dough (because it's easier than using a mixer, and you don't put that strain on your mixer), but then form them by hand & bake in a loaf pan in the oven. That's what I would do if I had a bread machine, but I don't have room for one so I just use my mixer.

:)

HeatherlovesCDs 07-27-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone!

The machine I'm going to start with is my mom's. She doesn't use it much. It's old, like 15 years or so. I'm going to borrow it for a while and see how it works. If we like doing it and it seems to be a good money saving option, I'll buy my own bread machine, probably bigger than hers. :thumbup:

Jennifer - Hubby doesn't like sourdough. I do, but I'm not sure I would want all our general bread for sandwiches and toast to be sourdough.

mama_to_DJM - Thanks for the link. I'll check your recipe. :D

ambo 07-27-2012 04:02 PM

Have you ever heard of kneadless bread? My mom gave me the book, Kneadlessly Simple, and while some of the recipes are more involved, many are pretty straightforward. I've been making the pizza dough recipe and using it for all kinds of things (pretzels, donuts, savory pie crusts). The concept is that you use less yeast and let it rise longer (for example my pizza dough takes 24 hours to rise, then I store it in the fridge and bake from it all week long). Costwise, you save because you use less yeast. I know there are some recipes that include whole wheat flours, but I haven't tried them yet, and I don't know if they are all or part whole wheat. I have also dreamed of making bread for my family, would love to do it! My friend has had success doing it with a bread machine.