Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why do so many drs do early us? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1424980)

Mirasmom 07-27-2012 08:12 PM

Why do so many drs do early us?

Feel like every other thread is about how someone's early us didn't show a baby.....why do so many drs do so many ultrasounds? My dr is very hands off, I know, but still? We do one us at 20 weeks. Now granted I don't have complications and I know that situation is different, but I feel like nearly every dr now does at least 3 or 4 ultrasounds throughout. Why! They r so unnecessary! Even for dating. Really it's unnecessary. Edd is ESTIMATED. There a VERY few people that can't estimate when they ovulated with At least a week or two give or take. And really that's accurate enough bc u will be measuring and getting your 20 week scan for anatomy and also if you are going to truly let the baby come when It comes. I guess I just don't get it. Not only why do drs do them, but I can't believe insurance PAYS for them.

Mirasmom 07-27-2012 08:13 PM

Fwiw my dr won't even SEE me until 10 weeks when a hb can be found by Doppler. Before that, if something happened she couldn't stop it anyway, so what's the point?

songbird516 07-27-2012 08:28 PM

Re: Why do so many drs do early us?

I'm with you on that one. My first pregnancy I didn't know anything. I called the first office I heard about and told them I had a positive pregnancy test. They gave me an appointment for 12 weeks gestation. I was surprised because I thought they'd want to verify the pregnancy or something, but nope. They did an ultrasound then (I still didn't know what was going on and mainly didn't even believe I was pregnant), but I'm glad now that they were hands-off. The second pregnancy we only had one at 22 weeks. The more they look in there, the more problems they can find; that's how I feel. Obviously there are special circumstances, but I think they cause a lot more stress, and there is almost nothing that an early ultrasound can really do to help. They're not reliable enough to go on for problems with the pregnancy, and there's nothing that the doctor or woman can do anyway if there is a real problem.

happysmileylady 07-27-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

There a VERY few people that can't estimate when they ovulated with At least a week or two give or take.
This is EXTREMELY not true.

I am VERY regular. Very.

However..

With my first, I was young, 17, and really didn't know. I could generally predict my periods within about 5 days or so, but that was about all I knew. And, given that we had been using protection, pregnancy was pretty much the LAST thing on my mind and it was quite a while before I had even taken a test. By the time I went to the doc, I had NO idea when I conceived or when I might have been due. Turns out, I was already 5 months along, but that U/S was done at my first appointment because I didn't know.

With my second, I did IVF, and had MULTIPLE ultrasounds to check both for viability and for multiples. They are usually SOP with IVF.

With my third, I was pretty regular up until the two months prior to conceiving her. I had been on anti-depressants, and turns out those particular ones had the interesting side effect of increasing pro-lactin levels in the blood. The increased pro-lactin levels of course messed with my cycles. Looking back, it was at least 6 weeks from the time of my last period to the time I conceived...I normally have a 23 to 25 day cycle. It was a total guess as to when I conceived at that time.

My current pregnancy is the only one that I could really guess at ovulation.

Even if you toss out my very monitered IVF, that's still only a 1 out of 3 odds.

If someone with my otherwise VERY regular cycles can only guess 1 out of 3 times, I imagine it's not that much different for most of the rest of the population.

In addition, there are plenty of other reasons for early U/S, aside from dating. To check for ectopic of there's any indication of risk. To check for multiples. To check for other viability.

Now, I agree that doing 3 or 4 more, aside from the 20wk U/S can get excessive if there are no indications of anything going on. But that initial U/S early on can still provide a lot of information besides dating estimates.

qsefthuko 07-27-2012 08:35 PM

Most women don't seem to know their bodies well enough to say with any degree of accuracy when they conceived. At least the women I know personally. Also doctors don't like to let babies come when they are ready. They want to induce earlier and earlier. I think I even heard they want to start inducing a 39 weeks.

KLeeCW 07-27-2012 08:37 PM

With DS1 I only had one US at 20 weeks and that was it. This time around I planned to skip all US unless a medical necessity arose. I've actually had two now. Once in the very beginning around 7 weeks because there was a concern that it was a tubal pregnancy due to some severe symptoms and the dangers associated with allowing a tubal pregnancy to continue without observation. Then I didn't have another until two weeks ago at 30 weeks because I was suddenly measuring significantly ahead and there were some concerns as to what was causing it.

I agree with you though, too many doctors just consider USs to be a routine part of a regular prenatal visit. Then there are the mamas who expect to see their baby at every appt. I also find a lot of ignorance surrounding pregnancy and the reliability of US. I read so many posts on pregnancy forums by people who consider them to be 100% indicators of everything in their pregnancy, right down to paternity (I saw a mama with uncertain paternity say she KNEW who her baby's father was because they looked alike on the ultrasound...right:giggle2:). There also tends to be a big misunderstanding what EDD means and most assume it's an end date as opposed to a middle of the road guesstimate. It kills me when I read posts by women who get angry with their doctors when the doctor "corrects" the EDD to a later or earlier date because of the US, as though it's the doctors fault that the baby might not be at the assumed gestational age.

happysmileylady 07-27-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

They want to induce earlier and earlier. I think I even heard they want to start inducing a 39 weeks
This may be in some offices, but in both of the OBs offices I have used in these last 3 pregnancies, there are articles hanging in every single room, discussing the dangers of early induction/early C-section.

abunchoflemons 07-27-2012 08:40 PM

I did to see if I needed d &c cuz only way b4 10 week to get heartbeat & tell fromwhat I undertand because I was so sick with myy first 2 not 3rd now. Mine did one at 20 ish weeks second baby after ruling out g disease.... or any other high risk more us are done & more defined to make sure all is well developmentally. If there is a placenta iissue u can take precautionary measure. If bedrest needed or something or get u ready 4 miscarry or the like...... I had tons with my 1st & that was 20 weeks & then til end.....mine is awesome & laid back 4 guy ob.

Nerissa 07-27-2012 08:43 PM

With both boys i only had a u/s at 12 weeks and 20 weeks.

with this one I had one at 6 weeks because i was having horrible back pain and they wanted to rule out eptopic. then one at 14 weeks for dating/other tests and then the 20 week scan.

As for most women knowing when they ovulated. Before discovering this site and reading in the TTC forum I had no idea when I ovulated. DS1 was just luck since all we did was go off the pill and hope for the best. DS2 was oops i missed a few pills. This babe is the only one where i actually figured out how to chart and watch for fertile signs ect and "new" when I ovulated within a couple days.

keen1981 07-27-2012 08:46 PM

Some want hope. I never had one until my second pregnancy and I hemmoraged. I honestly had no idea how far I was. I was still nursing.

My third baby... I knew something was wrong. I knew. I got several early ultrasounds trying to find him. I lost him.

This one, I also had a bleed, got one then.

I fight for my EDD because my husbands boots stay in soil around that date. Having it actually be accurate to the growth of my baby could mean me birthing completely alone or having my husband with me. And for ME two babies born right 'on time' so yeah, a two week flux of time?? I want the earliest due date that my child dates. I deserve my husband next me as much as anyone else.

To each their own.