Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Creighton Method Book? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425006)

barefeet 07-27-2012 09:06 PM

Creighton Method Book?

I would like to learn the Creighton Method since I'm BF right now and don't think the sympto-thermal thing will work so great for us at the moment. I know that you are supposed to take a class to learn the Creighton Method, but we just don't have the money for it right now. :( Do any of you know if there's a book that I can get from the library or some other way to learn this method? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Numommy 07-28-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefeet
I would like to learn the Creighton Method since I'm BF right now and don't think the sympto-thermal thing will work so great for us at the moment. I know that you are supposed to take a class to learn the Creighton Method, but we just don't have the money for it right now. :( Do any of you know if there's a book that I can get from the library or some other way to learn this method? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

There is....
I'll link you.
I just to to book myself so I can't review it but...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=docs-os-doi_0

Kap7270 07-28-2012 08:27 AM

Re: Creighton Method Book?

That book tells you about the Creighton Model and NaProTechnology but doesn't teach you the method. There is a user manual that is given to couples when they start the method, but it's really designed just to supplement the info given by the teachers. I know that its tempting to learn by just reading a book but the teacher really provides very valuable insights - your effectiveness in using the system will be reduced if you try it on your own. One of the big benefits of the Creighton Model is the rigorous training for the teachers and the close support they provide the couples. Many teachers are willing to reduce their fees in the case of financial need.

Numommy 07-30-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap7270
That book tells you about the Creighton Model and NaProTechnology but doesn't teach you the method. There is a user manual that is given to couples when they start the method, but it's really designed just to supplement the info given by the teachers. I know that its tempting to learn by just reading a book but the teacher really provides very valuable insights - your effectiveness in using the system will be reduced if you try it on your own. One of the big benefits of the Creighton Model is the rigorous training for the teachers and the close support they provide the couples. Many teachers are willing to reduce their fees in the case of financial need.

Had to come back to this thread and update what I am learning.

1- I NEED a teacher, so if anyone knows of one that will do distance options, please pm me.
2- this is the real deal. Two children and a nurse and the light stuff talked about in the book is beyond me, it is heavy stuff that no book could get you through.
3- I guess if you are just set on not paying for classes, which honestly at 240 for what you get, is NOT, nearly enough to compensate these instructors, you could look into the Billings method.
4- CrM is as effective as it is for a reason.

ma-meem 07-30-2012 01:40 PM

During BF, creighton teaches to rely primarily on the internal observations since temps are all over the place and the cycle is basically erratic to non-existent. ie cervical position/opening/firmness and cervical mucous...

ma-meem 07-30-2012 01:40 PM

double post, sorry!

Kap7270 07-30-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numommy (Post 15474991)
3- I guess if you are just set on not paying for classes, which honestly at 240 for what you get, is NOT, nearly enough to compensate these instructors, you could look into the Billings method.
4- CrM is as effective as it is for a reason.

Thanks for the affirmation of the Creighton Model and the value its teachers provide :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoMama2b (Post 15475021)
During BF, creighton teaches to rely primarily on the internal observations since temps are all over the place and the cycle is basically erratic to non-existent. ie cervical position/opening/firmness and cervical mucous...

Sorry to disagree with you, but as a Creighton teacher I can assure you that the Creighton Model never uses internal observations (or temps for that matter). The only observations that are ever done are external observations of mucus. That is all that is needed for the high effectiveness (even while breastfeeding). Perhaps you are confusing Creighton with another method.

ma-meem 07-30-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap7270 (Post 15475164)
Thanks for the affirmation of the Creighton Model and the value its teachers provide :)

Sorry to disagree with you, but as a Creighton teacher I can assure you that the Creighton Model never uses internal observations (or temps for that matter). The only observations that are ever done are external observations of mucus. That is all that is needed for the high effectiveness (even while breastfeeding). Perhaps you are confusing Creighton with another method.

oh! sorry I was looking it up as I was curious about creighton, and came across a forum where a woman said that is what she was taught...

Kap7270 07-30-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoMama2b (Post 15475661)
oh! sorry I was looking it up as I was curious about creighton, and came across a forum where a woman said that is what she was taught...

No problem :)
Just wanted to make sure the correct info is out there