Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Visitor's after C-section? how long to wait (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425063)

Noah0914 07-28-2012 06:11 AM

Visitor's after C-section? how long to wait

I am scheduled to have a c-section on 1 Aug and my family wants to be waiting in the waiting room the entire time.

I don't want to see any of them right away and just want time with hubby and LO to bond and get breastfeeding established. We've been trying for a baby for 4 years and am not ready to share him with anyone except DH immediately after birth.

Is there enough time in the recovery room to do this? My preference is to call them to come to the hospital so they don't have to wait.

How did everyone else deal with visitors? How soon were you up to seeing pople after surgery?

raisingcropsandbabies 07-28-2012 06:35 AM

Re: Visitor's after C-section? how long to wait

You can start seeing people when you get back to your room (after recovery room). Personally, I didn't mind seeing people for like 15 minutes at the end of the first day because I was still on the good drugs, wasn't getting up to walk a bunch, had my cath in still, etc. So if they stayed for a short time just to see the baby, then I was good. I ask for my c-sections to be schedued at like 8am so by the end of the day, it'd been 10 hours or so since the c/s.

The next day, I requested no visitors. It's more of a rough day for me (that's the day I get up and moving a bunch, take a shower, etc... so I'm sore and tired and have some breakthrough pain. I learned that the hard way and had a friend come visit me after my 2nd c/s that day and she witnessed me bleed all over the floor, nearly faint in the shower, cry, dry heave, etc! haha. We laugh about it now, but at the time it wasn't so funny.

Personally, the 2nd full day, post-op, is a better day to have some visitors (so if you had the c/s on a Tuesday, then Thursday is great for visitors). I've showered by then, am walking a bit better, less bleeding, etc. Usually in better spirits.

And the 3rd full day of post-op is fine for visitors too, though it's discharge day so you might get a bunch of interruptions though. I, personally, like this time to be just baby and me... our last bit of quiet time together before heading home to a housefull of kiddos!

-I don't mind visitors at home the first week IFFFF they bring us food! :) Yes, that is a requirement. ;)

aries416 07-28-2012 06:42 AM

I never minded visitors. I would much rather have visitors in the hospital than at home the first few days. My second c-section was scheduled and DS was born around 10:40. I was seeing visitors that evening. They were making me walk a little then, but I just timed that for when I didn't have visitors.

abunchoflemons 07-28-2012 06:54 AM

I had bag & I didn't care when people wanted to b there. I would just tell them.

Anna0623 07-28-2012 07:31 AM

Let your visitors know and be firm we had too many visitors with our first dd, I was on morphine and did not get to rest like I should have. With ds my second I learned and visitors did not come until we called them. Dd was an emergency csection but ds was a planned csection so much easier to plan and have things set. This go around only certain people will be allowed to visit the ones who helped with the kids the last time. This is for both hospital and the first 2 months after the birth be it a csection or my dream home birth vbac.

mrsgrantis 07-28-2012 08:39 PM

we hada butt ton of visitors after our first - an emergency c/s - withour second we didn't tell them when it was happening and called after we were situtated
I work on a maternity floor and i often see women get overwhlemed by visitors - so If you know now you don't want them there tell them - yes the ywill be dissapointed but they'll get over it - and you deserve to have that time with your baby

aphlbrck 07-29-2012 03:22 AM

We had visitors (about 15) waiting in the waiting room with our 1st and it was horrible. All I wanted to do was recover and hold my baby but no one would give him to me...They probably stayed 2 hours and I couldn't get him to try to nurse him...After they left I just cried...They all came to our house the day and day after we got home from the hospital too...Didn't bring food or anything but just came to hold the baby...You need to set some limits depending on what you feel comfortable w/b/c for a lot of the relatives it's been a long time since they had a baby and they tend to forget what an emotional and physical roller coaster it is...

JHanes 08-15-2012 06:21 AM

Please set limits and tell people your expectations even if they scoff at you!!! My first was an emergency c section and he went to the NICU and I didn't get to hold him and it was all a mess and while there were only a few visitors, I still didn't want them there. This time I have been very firm with my expectations so that I can have the time I want with my new baby. The hospital will be our only quiet time before we come home to my toddler, so I want to enjoy it! That and I want lots of alone time to work on breastfeeding since that got all screwed up last time too. Good luck!

FrozenBooty 08-19-2012 03:50 AM

No visitors until I call they will know its happeneing but becuase of complications and recovery I did not want everyone holding my baby with dd until I got a chance to hold him and bond. My first everyone was already there as I had 4 days of labor before my emergency C-section, and so the whole world held my baby before I got to and it has always been an issue for me.

This next time I will tell them what day and let them know we will call them as soon as they get me and baby back to the room so they can come visit.

I have a high pain tolerance and usually am up moving a couple hours after surgery. but if this is not the case for you and you think you may struggle tell the nurses desk that you want no visitors for you or the baby until you specifically give the ok.

Germy 09-09-2012 01:01 PM

My parents were there in the waiting room. Due to my complications I only got to see my daughter for a few seconds before she was taken to the NICU. My parents came to check on me in the room you go before your post-op room and then went to see my daughter. After I went to my post op room, they were there for 30 mins tops and then left to drive 3 hours back to their home. They didn't come visit again for a few weeks.