Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help! First ever wash of prefolds--bad staining (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425101)

Michi84 07-28-2012 09:26 AM

Help! First ever wash of prefolds--bad staining

Please help! I'm VERY new to cloth and just did my first ever load of laundry. The BF stains are very yellow and stain immediately (not just the diapers but an accident on my sheets as well!)

I did:
Cold rinse with Bac-Out
Hot wash with lots of water and 1/4 scoop CountrySave
Cold rinse (my machine doesnt do a hot rinse??)

I have them laying in the sun right now (straight from washer, still wet)

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks ladies! Really want to make this work and so far I feel like I'm failing!

Squig'sMumMum 07-28-2012 09:43 AM

Re: Help! First ever wash of prefolds--bad staining

EBF poop does stain, but it should sun out in a couple hours :) If they aren't completely gone, rewet and put out again. I don't use any additives, just detergent and then sun. (Cold Speed Wash, Hot Wash with Planet powder 1/2 scoop with extra rinse, then into the dryer or out into the sun for stains)

Michi84 07-28-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum (Post 15466011)
EBF poop does stain, but it should sun out in a couple hours :) If they aren't completely gone, rewet and put out again. I don't use any additives, just detergent and then sun. (Cold Speed Wash, Hot Wash with Planet powder 1/2 scoop with extra rinse, then into the dryer or out into the sun for stains)

Thanks so much for the advice!
Fingers crossed the sun works it's magic! :goodvibes:

gabmaxi 07-28-2012 10:14 AM

Try using a whole scoop of planet. You might have to do an additional rinse but I found this helped with staining.

Micheliala 07-28-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabmaxi (Post 15466155)
Try using a whole scoop of planet. You might have to do an additional rinse but I found this helped with staining.

this is exactly what i was going to say :) need more cleaning power! when i used country save i had to use double what they suggested. you also may find that mainstream detergents do a better job too.

Michi84 07-28-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micheliala (Post 15466330)
this is exactly what i was going to say :) need more cleaning power! when i used country save i had to use double what they suggested. you also may find that mainstream detergents do a better job too.

THanks Ladies! The sun worked wonders!! I had my doubts, but am truly amazed at how white they are just after a few hours in sunshine!!

I'm not thrilled about having to sun-dry them every other day though...What are your suggestions for detergents that are stronger/better than CountrySave?

thanks again!!

Squig'sMumMum 07-28-2012 02:30 PM

Glad the look better! I don't sun mine with every wash, and usually only sun the ones that are stained, the rest go in the dryer :)
I love Planet and found it cheapest through iherb.com with their coupon for first time orders.

gabmaxi 07-28-2012 04:03 PM

Oh, oops I thought you used planet (must've been a diff thread). I use country save and I used the whole scoop.

el's mama 07-28-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micheliala (Post 15466330)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabmaxi (Post 15467361)
Oh, oops I thought you used planet (must've been a diff thread). I use country save and I used the whole scoop.

I agree, use a whole scoop of Country Save. It doesn't have anything icky in it and it doesn't leave residue so you really can't overdo it with a scoop. That should help with stains but the sun is the best thing.... Some people swear they just use Tide and have "no stains" but that's never worked for me. I've used the old Tide powder, new Ultra powder and now use the liquid. It cleans wonderfully and gets rid of a lot of stains, but not all of them.

What has been working really well for me is rinsing each poopy diaper, spraying OxiClean on it (this one with the yellow handle, http://www.oxiclean.com/pre-treatmen...ver-spray.aspx ), letting it sit for about 5 minutes and rinsing again. It is extra work, but I HATE stains and my daughter has yucky toddler poop now so I have to work to get them out. Also, when I use the spray they usually come out of the wash clean so I don't have to sun them, I just throw them in the dryer.

qsefthuko 07-28-2012 05:22 PM

I use oxyclean every time I wash. I make sure to do my diapers in the late evening because Stop the wash water after is full and has swishes the detergent, 1/2 cup oxyclean, and 1/2 cup borax l. Then I let them soak until morning when I resume the wash cycle. To get hot rinses I simply restart at the beginning and do a rinse using the wash cycle but no more detergent. I do do a hot prewash with a bit of dawn dish soap first. I rarely get stains and the few I do get are very faint. They sun easily.