Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   talk to me about home births/midwives/etc (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425308)

corrielainedd 07-28-2012 10:04 PM

talk to me about home births/midwives/etc

I want to know your experiences! How was your home birth(s)? Midwife? Costs?
We are not TTC #3 yet, but discussinv it. Ive had 2 completely natural hospital births. My first was with a very unsupportive controlling OB.. but i still got my natural birth! My second, amazing OB who homebirthed her own children, was a perfect hospital birth!
I am very confident and comfortable with having a home birth! Hubby will take some work.. and the cost of a midwife is my main concern... homebirth is not legal here, so insurance will not cover midwife (does it anywhere?) Money is tight... but i can start saving now!!

Squig'sMumMum 07-29-2012 11:52 AM

Re: talk to me about home births/midwives/etc

Homebirth was wonderful, midwives were mediocre, and cost was $3,600 +$20 gas per visit for them to come see me (though my insurance & HRA reimbursed most of that). And the midwives were very concerned at first because I am so close to the KY border, I had to reassure them that I am indeed in TN.
My only concern is your being in KY, because finding a midwife there is hit or miss from what I understand, and if there is a complication they will either not take you to the hospital or drop you at the door and run because they will be charged if caught assisting... (part of why my midwives were uncomfortable up here, closest hospital is in KY)
Is it possible for you to deliver with the doctor you used last time?

lilbitcrunchy 07-29-2012 02:58 PM

We had a cpm and she charged 2000. She did home visits such weren't extra despite driving 1.5 hours each way! It really varies by region. Not legal here either so we just had a payment plan and thankfully she was born during tax refund time too lol. Fwiw too I had dual care. I kept going to my local Ob/midwife practice for a bit so that if I had to transfer they could call one of them and it wouldn't be some stranger since my hb midwife would be in legal trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

bohemianxchaos 07-29-2012 03:01 PM

Here in Ohio its not illegal, but mw's arent exactly legal to attend hbs either.. so it can be hit or miss. Took me a few weeks to find mine, i used the mothering.com forum.
The cost for me is about 1500 OOP, but honestly its worth it for me to be at home. Im due next month, but so far things have been GREAT.
As for hubby, i found the more we talked about it and i presented facts in small doses, the more at ease he has become.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DS Forum. That means my typing is probably awful. I'm sorry.

gghmommy 07-29-2012 03:05 PM

I don't want to be negative in any way, just cautious. Please have someone there besides the midwife to care for your newborn. I used to work in a children's ICU and one child was heartbreaking-not that this couldn't also happen in a hospital, but the mom had some bleeding that the midwife was attending to and somehow no one noticed the baby had meconium aspiration. So, the baby may still have needed some hospital care, but at least have someone focused on suctioning out baby and making sure he's ok while they care for you in the event you are unable to care for baby. Please don't take this as anti-homebirth or trying to cause unnecessary worry, it's just something to consider. thanks.

JennTheMomma 07-29-2012 06:18 PM

I had a great MW, I paid out of pocket for her. My homebirth was great too, but long. I didn't birth him like planned, planned a waterbirth, but instead I birthed him on land in the living room during a thunderstorm :)

We're planning another homebirth now and I'm using a different MW but still paying out of pocket. My MW comes to me for all appointments, etc.

bigmamakelsey 07-29-2012 07:32 PM

My first midwife was $2,600 and my second was $1,400 (but I switched to her at 36 weeks - she usually charges $1,800.) Both were 100% OOP, home birth is only covered by CNMs here, not CPMs or LMs. Both home births rocked;)

umphreysmommy 07-29-2012 07:38 PM

My home birth was $3,000 and included all pre and post visits. I was reimbursed from my insurance just last week (took about 4 months) for $2,300! So all in all it was pretty cheap :)