Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How do I get him to open wider? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425313)

Mercy24 07-28-2012 10:19 PM

How do I get him to open wider?

I *finally* got my almost 8 month old to nurse without the dang nipple shield occasionally, but he will not open his mouth wide enough. He latches onto the nipple and it starts to hurt because he's just slurping away on it and then he gets frustrated cause he's not getting much. I've tried telling him to open wide (which he'll do for a spoon but not for a boob apparently) and I've tried sandwiching it so he gets more in there but then he just slips down until he's only on the nipple again. I NEED him to get off the shield soon, it's uncomfortable, messy and often forgotten at home which leads to all kinds of other issues.

abunchoflemons 07-28-2012 11:44 PM

Re: How do I get him to open wider?

Do u give or u tickle to get to open? I was told to tickle lips with little milk ornipple till baby opens up enough.

dazzy2011 07-29-2012 04:48 AM

Take your finger place it at his chin and gently open his mouth wider. Hope that makes sense.

dazzy2011 07-29-2012 04:50 AM

Oh and get rid of the nipple shield. He will become depend on it. It is for temporary use. Good luck. :)

KatrinaLoves 07-29-2012 05:39 AM

:popcorn:

It seems like such a simple problem to overcome, but I'm sure OP has tried just about everything that's obvious, just as I have. If I had 3 arms, keeping my babies mouths open while I sandwich in my breast would be a lot easier, lol. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone has some useful and interesting tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzy2011 (Post 15469043)
Oh and get rid of the nipple shield. He will become depend on it. It is for temporary use. Good luck. :)

You don't say? :think:
Easier said than done. And, at 8 months, I'm sure it's a bit late for that.

Belbaby3728 07-29-2012 06:47 AM

Ugh you think people who are stuck using shields really want to?!

OP I feel for you and I am in same boat. I can get my dd to latch/stay latched only if I keep my breast sandwiched for her, if I let go she slips off. She is 7 months old.

Thanks to LC in hospital throwing it at me when she was only a day old because she was preemie and I knew no better we haven't sucessfully weaned the shield out.

The only thing that keeps me going is that she is getting mama's milk regardless how.

But I do fear we are going to have problems when teeth come in...will be watching this thread.

I've had lots of suggestions to try laid back bf but haven't had luck with it myself.

KatrinaLoves 07-29-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belbaby3728
Ugh you think people who are stuck using shields really want to?!

OP I feel for you and I am in same boat. I can get my dd to latch/stay latched only if I keep my breast sandwiched for her, if I let go she slips off. She is 7 months old.

Thanks to LC in hospital throwing it at me when she was only a day old because she was preemie and I knew no better we haven't sucessfully weaned the shield out.

The only thing that keeps me going is that she is getting mama's milk regardless how.

But I do fear we are going to have problems when teeth come in...will be watching this thread.

I've had lots of suggestions to try laid back bf but haven't had luck with it myself.

Same story over here. The nurses, otherwise wonderful, convinced me they had NEVER seen a true case of nipple confusion, and they got bottles for several days before being allowed to nurse (they were concerned about them aspirating if they BFed?), so the hospital LC gave me a shield when, surprise surprise, BFing without one wasn't working.

Though, in all honesty, we'd have needed one anyway. Neither baby had the strength to latch without one, even if they'd been given the opportunity.

:hugs:

Shallow nipple-only latches hurt like a beezy.

lilmomma83 07-29-2012 08:56 PM

The fact that baby needed a nipple sheild to latch, and the fact that baby is not opening wide make me think tongue tie and probably lip tie as well...you might google tongue tie, lip tie, and posterior tongue tie for info. There is a really great group on facebook also called "tongue Tie Babies Support Group" - you can post pics of your baby's tongue and lip and get advice if you need to get him further assessed.

KatrinaLoves 07-30-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmomma83
The fact that baby needed a nipple sheild to latch, and the fact that baby is not opening wide make me think tongue tie and probably lip tie as well...you might google tongue tie, lip tie, and posterior tongue tie for info. There is a really great group on facebook also called "tongue Tie Babies Support Group" - you can post pics of your baby's tongue and lip and get advice if you need to get him further assessed.

I know I'm not the OP, but thank you so much! I'm going to go find the group!

lilmomma83 07-30-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatrinaLoves (Post 15472921)
I know I'm not the OP, but thank you so much! I'm going to go find the group!

(hugs)