Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   exposure to baby measles - how concerned should i really be? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425318)

bezbabe 07-28-2012 10:42 PM

exposure to baby measles - how concerned should i really be?

so my friend calls me yesterday to tell me that her baby has baby measles and she just wanted to let me know because we had been there all day on wednesday and i was cuddling and holding and kissing her baby. i'm all like, "i don't think it's a big deal because i think it's only adult measles that can be a problem for pregnant ladies but i'll call the midwife just to make sure. thanks for letting me know." so i call the midwives and leave a message, don't hear back from them, kind of forget about it because i really don't think i have anything to worry about. get home today and there is a message but i forget to check it until just now. yes, i knew there was a message on the machine for me. yes, i really did forget to check it. yes, pregnancy brain is real. so, the midwife asks if i had the vaccine as a child (i didn't; my parents were non-vaxers) and then says i should go see my gp and get a blood test to check for measles in my blood (i have never had the measles ever so would have no natural immunity to them now). my gp (who is ridiculously hard to get an appt with anyways) won't even be open tomorrow so should i go to a medicenter? on a sunday when they will be insanely busy? or can this wait until monday? can it maybe even wait until tuesday since i am supposed to go to the lake all day monday? (i know how selfish that sounds and if it really is a big deal, i will absolutely NOT put my plans to go to the lake ahead of the safety of my baby). i guess i'm just wondering how big of a concern this is to me and to the health of my baby. does anyone know how bad this could really be?

ktmelody 07-28-2012 10:52 PM

Baby measles is another name for roseola and not actual measles/german measles. If you had the mmr you are likely immune to real measles, and something like 95 percent of all children get roseola by age 3.

If it was actual german measles I would ask for titers to be done, but likely you are immune (rubella on the other hand can be dangerous and hard to gain immunity to)

bezbabe 07-28-2012 11:05 PM

Re: exposure to baby measles - how concerned should i really be?

ahhhh, thanks! see, i didn't think baby measles and regular measles were the same thing and i really wasn't at all worried about it until i heard the midwife's message. i wonder if maybe she misunderstood my message that i left and didn't hear me say that it was baby measles i was exposed to or something?

ktmelody 07-29-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bezbabe
ahhhh, thanks! see, i didn't think baby measles and regular measles were the same thing and i really wasn't at all worried about it until i heard the midwife's message. i wonder if maybe she misunderstood my message that i left and didn't hear me say that it was baby measles i was exposed to or something?

I would ask your friend which type of measles it was. I am sure she meant roseola. Actual measles are super rare these days.

But I would get in for titers when you can. Otherwise i wouldnt worry much.

How far along are you?

bezbabe 07-29-2012 07:20 PM

Re: exposure to baby measles - how concerned should i really be?

she told me baby measles and then she put on fb that baby measles suck so i'm pretty sure it's just plain old baby measles...lol...

i'm 20 weeks now.