Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   What cues do you see? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425329)

redheadinlove 07-29-2012 12:14 AM

What cues do you see?

I keep my daughter mostly naked most of the time. I'm a nanny so I can't watch her 100% of the time and I actually only *see* about one pee a day, if that. She almost always pees in the 1-2 minutes that I've stepped away from her. I don't see any cues at all so I really don't know how I can EC. The ones that I DO see, I make a 'psss' sound during. I immediately change her diaper so she never sits in/on a wet diaper (she's often sitting naked on top of a diaper) for more then 10 minutes at most. She already hated diapers and prefers to be naked but she despises a dirty/wet diaper. I'm hoping that in the future that works to my advantage and she will potty learn early, but that's about all I have going for me =) Any tips?

Mom2jandb 07-29-2012 03:19 PM

When I started naked time I missed A LOT of pees. I think I relaxed a little too much. I kept waiting for signals that never came unless I was holding her. I decided I needed to use the timing method (potty every 20 mins or so) and now things are great.

How old is your LO?

SeaChellsRun 07-30-2012 11:17 PM

Re: What cues do you see?

Ditto on timing. Kicking/squirming, or suddenly calm or gazing away from what she was stimulated by, sometimes a little cry. :)

mel j 08-01-2012 05:50 AM

Right after he wakes up in the morning he gets wide eyes and usually has to pee & poo. I haven't been doing naked time though I do let him be diaper free when we are in the kitchen but I usually have a diaper on him b/c it's hard to get every pee with 2 other LO's to look after. We often use a "prefold belt" (just a waist band from an old pair of baby pants, actually) and a prefold so we can tell right away when he's wet and he can be changed right away. So he doesn't like it when he's wet and usually will fuss when he pees in a diaper (though not always.)

So you could start off simple... like after she wakes up in the morning or from a nap.

I'm also wondering how old she is b/c that can be helpful for giving advice with EC :)

redheadinlove 08-16-2012 11:13 AM

Shes almost 4 months now. Yesterday I dedicated the day to EC and I only used 4 diapers! we usually go through 12!! SeaChellsRun, her cues are very similar to that =)

By the end of the day we were doing it without hesitation

DecemberSun 08-24-2012 02:52 PM

My DD is 7 weeks and hasn't pooped in a diaper for 5 weeks, but she still pees in her diaper about 30% of the time. I keep her in a diaper because if she's naked she won't tell me she has to pee, she'll just pee on me lol. Her cues for pee are pretty strong, but since I can't always get to her in time she will pee in her diaper and then cry because she hates being wet. She will let our a little yell when she has to pee and/or kick both feet. If she's nursing, she'll keep going on and off the breast while kicking- like she wants to nurse but she knows she has to do something first. She also does this if she has to burp so we're working on deciphering which is which! ;)

strongwoman 09-02-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel j (Post 15483211)
Right after he wakes up in the morning he gets wide eyes and usually has to pee & poo. I haven't been doing naked time though I do let him be diaper free when we are in the kitchen but I usually have a diaper on him b/c it's hard to get every pee with 2 other LO's to look after. We often use a "prefold belt" (just a waist band from an old pair of baby pants, actually) and a prefold so we can tell right away when he's wet and he can be changed right away. So he doesn't like it when he's wet and usually will fuss when he pees in a diaper (though not always.)

So you could start off simple... like after she wakes up in the morning or from a nap.

I'm also wondering how old she is b/c that can be helpful for giving advice with EC :)

Glad that I'm not the only one trying to EC with two LO's running around the house! I've got to get in more nakie time in, too. This is my first time ECing with my almost 1 month old. Just tired of searching for diapers and washing them all the time!