Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   11 week old having trouble staying on (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425526)

RissaMamaRex 07-29-2012 04:08 PM

11 week old having trouble staying on

We just recently weaned off the nipple shield. It kinda happened over night that she suddenly doesn't need it or even want it. So I stopped using it and she can latch just fine (yay). But she keeps doing this this where she pulls her head back with my nipple still locked in her mouth (ow ow ow ow ow OW) and then lets go with a nice big POP! sound. Not so fun. Now both of my nipples are red and cracked (I think) and hurt SO bad. I can't even feed her on my right one, I resorted to hand expressing a ton out in the shower. I am starting to dread feeding her and I'm not going to quit BFing but I would rather look forward to it again.

BTW she seems to be just getting through a growth spurt.

Gita 07-29-2012 06:42 PM

Re: 11 week old having trouble staying on

Watch her closely, as she starts to pull away with your nipple still in her mouth, get your little finger in between her mouth/your nipple and detach her before she pulls. Maybe the nipple without shield is a little confusing and she hasn't figured out proper detachment? Oh, and use plenty of lanolin on your nipples till they heal, in fact you can put some on right before and right after feeding.

My DS is 5.5m, recently he started liking to pop on an off while feeding too. Happily he does let go first...but the point is he will latch back on and keep nursing on & off till he's full, so I bet your LO will do that too.

BabyMonkeybiz 07-29-2012 07:04 PM

Ouch, I have felt your pain! Definitely use the lanolin before and after. That stuff is wonderful. My sister in law's baby did that head fling because her milk was dropping too fast. I figured out my 3 month old was doing it when I didn't have him just right in the crook of my arm. My firstborn did it also. I really don't know if she was playing or frustrated waiting for the milk to drop, but I would massage her behind the ears with my thumb & middle finger in a circular motion & it seemed to sooth her & stop her from flinging and biting. Every baby is different. I hope you find the solution for your lil one : ).

RissaMamaRex 07-29-2012 07:18 PM

I am pretty sure my milk drops pretty fast. Sometimes when she delatches it still sprays. Kinda funny but yeah. And slightly embarrassing but funny... when I hand express in the shower I can usually hit the shower wall thats like 2 feet away. It SPRAYS!

jessnic 07-29-2012 09:33 PM

If this is a serious issue for you than set limits with her. When she detaches like that release her latch with your finger, tell her no and cover yourself or put her down for a.moment. A few days of this and she will likely learn this behavior is not acceptable.

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe :)