Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Percent of paycheck to childcare? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425572)

the_oz_girl 07-29-2012 07:34 PM

Percent of paycheck to childcare?

So, I'm getting ready to start a new job tomorrow. This is the first I've worked in nearly 10 years and my first job ever as a mom.I'm curious what percentage of your paycheck goes to child care. My sister in law is an in home care provider by trade and my sitter as well. She's cutting me a deal for being family and since this is such a first for me so I can at least have a chance to bring home gas money. I'm curious what other people spend on childcare!

sasra_nu 07-29-2012 07:56 PM

Re: Percent of paycheck to childcare?

I just started my 1st job as a mom a month ago. My childcare expenses are about 30% of my gross income, and I do pay them tax-free through an FSA account so that is a plus.

BUT we could not have afforded for my DD to go to preschool without me working - and for her, it was really important and she gets a LOT out of school. It really was the best decision for us, even though after childcare and gas, my hourly wage is pretty pitiful.

christi2705 07-29-2012 08:01 PM

This summer I spent almost 40% of my paycheck (net) on childcare for my 2. Once school starts it will be closer to 18%.

MelDM 07-29-2012 10:52 PM

We spend about $2000 on childcare per month and I net about $5000 a month. Sometimes both are a little higher or lower depending on which shifts I work, if I work weekends DH is home with the kids, so less for childcare.

ETA- sorry I know you asked for a percent but my brain isn't functioning after a very busy shift at work!! 2/5 is what?? 40% ish?

LadybugMonkey 07-29-2012 11:18 PM

I spend about 30% on childcare.

dudleypippen 07-29-2012 11:22 PM

I pay just under 10% of my net pay towards childcare, but I live in a rural area with low cost of living and I have one child at an in-home daycare. I feel really fortunate to have found quality affordable childcare. I agree with pp about paying into a FSA account, that will save you some money too. Good luck returning to work!

carriek38 07-30-2012 04:37 AM

I pay about 30% of my net towards day care (in-home, one child), & it's closer to 15% of our total household net.

VinhThiMom 07-30-2012 08:24 AM

When they were in private preschool, it was 18% of my income. Once school starts, after-care will be about 9%.

lyd_1983 07-30-2012 08:53 AM

Hi All! I am new to DS. This is my first post! :)

Unfortunately, a LOT. 40ish% during Summer months, less during school year. But, still too much! LOL It makes sense, though. I've been with my employer for almost 10 years and in order to "hold" my position/pay, I need to work through this time period!

Holly dolly 07-30-2012 09:22 AM

I pay about 40%ish for 2 in all-day in-home daycare. When school starts it will be less...but I haven't figured out the numbers yet.

I've only been at my job for a year and since I helped open the practice we haven't really been making a ton of money yet. :) Eventually my pay will be raised and it will make more sense.