Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hmm disliking stuffing pockets already, can I alter the way I use them? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425581)

viovio 07-29-2012 06:44 PM

Hmm disliking stuffing pockets already, can I alter the way I use them?

I am new to cloth diapering. My little one is due in a week and I just went through all my diapers and prepped them. I went a bit insane and bought an enormous amount of diapers but one thing became very clear: pocket diaper stuffing takes forever. Perhaps when I'm not laundering an entire stash at once it wont be such a pain but I was wondering if people have success using pocket diapers without stuffing them, just putting the insert on top like an AI2.

I realize that I shouldn't put microfiber inserts directly against baby's skin. But are there any other types of inserts that people would recommend to just lay on top of pocket diapers.

I currently have the following types of pockets with microfiber inserts that I'm looking to alter somehow as to not have to stuff them. The newborn ones are not that critical as theyre only used for a short time, but the rest I would rather find an alternative solution:

Newborn Pockets:
Tiny Tush Elite Mini in Snaps (comes with 2 microfiber inserts)
Blueberry Mini in Snaps (comes with 1 microfiber insert)

OS Pockets

Kawaii Good Night Heavy Wetters (comes with 2 large microfiber inserts)
Glow Bugs (comes with 2 large microfber inserts that snap inside pocket)

The rest of my stash is mostly cotton/bamboo but they are AIOs or sized diapers so I mostly cant just detach them and use on top of the pockets that came with microfiber.

I love how fast microfiber dries, not thrilled about how worn the inserts look after just a single wash to prep them, but I seriously underestimated how long it would take to stuff all these diapers. What would you guys use instead of the microfiber if you dont want to stuff them?

RissaMamaRex 07-29-2012 06:52 PM

Re: Hmm disliking stuffing pockets already, can I alter the way I use them?

Hemp babies makes 2 sizes of inserts. You could lay those on top. Tots Bots OS diapers and Swaddlebees OS Simplex are a tongue style pocket so you could lay those on top if you wanted.

I am not a huge fan of pockets either... I have some but I mostly use them because I like the print of style of the diaper. When not stuffing what feels like 100 at a time its not so bad.

viovio 07-29-2012 07:17 PM

Thanks for the rec. I'll look into those inserts and see how it goes :) Definitely dont want to destash just to restash a week before my due date!

gabmaxi 07-29-2012 07:21 PM

Maybe this won't help, but when line drying I turn my pockets inside out and then I grab the insert with my hand in the diaper and flip it right side out over the insert.
That was harder to describe than I thought.

CurlyQ215 07-29-2012 07:38 PM

Either Flip insert would be great. The organic ones might be a bit bulky on a newborn (and wouldn't fit the sized diapers anyway), but they are great for a bit later!

MadeofStarStuff 07-29-2012 07:46 PM

I cut a jersey t-shirt to size & sewed it on top of my microfiber insert for my snap-in insert for my Glowbug. Looks like this: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...e/2e7a269b.jpgYou could also use fleece.
Honestly, I started with all pockets, but just hated stuffing, so I destashed most of them and bought Bumgenius Flips, that I use with their stay-dry inserts & organic inserts (I also use folded flats & other soakers in them.) It is SO much easier to me than stuffing pockets, and I can reuse a cover a few times.
Good luck!

Servant4Christ 07-29-2012 07:55 PM

I use alva pockets and RARELY stuff them. I use alva bamboo inserts and just lay them in the diaper and it works great. You can repurpose the microfiber for other things.... they're great fo dusting the inside of the car windshield and dash. :giggle:

Catbutt Diapers 07-29-2012 10:38 PM

what I do is cut a second pocket opening in the diaper, so I can just reach my whole hand through and pull the insert in. Makes it REALLY easy.

CAaddict 07-29-2012 10:43 PM

These are all such great suggestions! Am I the only one who finds stuffing pockets relaxing? Satisfying, even...

Tina5834 07-29-2012 10:43 PM

I don't even stuff pockets. I just lay a prefold or flat inside and use like a cover.