Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Male versus Female OB- POLL (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425774)

popsi 07-30-2012 11:07 AM

Male versus Female OB- POLL

Just curious how many of you mamas have male vs female OBs. And did you chose the female based on her gender? Do you care about the gender of your male OB? Comfort-wise?
I have a female OB that I really like, but this week she is on vacation and the only available OB is a man. I took the appnt, though I prefer females by far. I am actually trying to decide if I want to skip the internal checking even though I'll be 39 weeks...
As you can tell, I'm not very comfy with a male dr. checking my private parts! :blush:

EDIT: can't add more options- I'm sorry. So, if you prefer MALE, please indicate in the thread! :goodvibes: Thank you!

tmwmommy 07-30-2012 11:17 AM

I have a male dr and had no other options. The two hospitals I would even consider only have males. I like my male OB much better than the female who delivered dd.

JennTheMomma 07-30-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Male versus Female OB- POLL

I've had both male and female OBs, I don't care about the gender, to me it's about their philosophy and education. I use female MWs as my primary caregiver, I would use a male, but there are none in my area. Again, it's about the philosophy.

nicolemariep 07-30-2012 11:19 AM

Ummm, you need a have had both/prefer male option. Cause I do.

He's seen it all before, so I really don't care if he's poking around my lady parts. My OB has a great personality and is a great MD. Plus I often got the vibe from female OBs and OB nurses that they "knew it all" because many of them have had kids, and that can make them dismissive of my concerns. My OB knows that he doesn't "know it all" (cause he's never been pregnant :giggle:) and he listens and carefully evaluates any concerns that I have. My favorite L&D nurse ever was also male :)

CHERUBUMS 07-30-2012 11:27 AM

Missing options on the poll...
Have male - prefer male
Had both/either - prefer male

I would have chosen Had both/either - prefer male. I've had 2 female OBs during my pregnancies/1 during delivery and have had a male for one pregnancy/2 deliveries. I must say that I LOVED my male OB the best. He was kind, sincere, sensitive, genuine, caring, compassionate, informative, on time, encouraging and a wonderful human being all around. It was the best experience EVER! I was beyond disappointed when I couldn't see him for my most recent pregnancy. I saw the female OB I had for DS1 and she was OK but she was "short" with her answers and her bedside manner was greatly lacking. She was a decent doc, but given the choice I wouldn't have chosen her and certainly won't choose her again. I had to have an emergency c-section for the delivery and she was on holiday, so not present. I ended up with a male OB that I'd never met and I would rank him a very close 2nd to my first OB. He was very practical, straightforward, honest, caring, gentle and attentive. He saved my baby's life and very possibly mine as well when he called the need for an emergency section. I'm very thankful and grateful to the care I have received from the male OBs I've seen. I would go with them any day over any of the females I've ever seen or dealt with.

popsi 07-30-2012 11:29 AM

Okay! Sorry, ladies for not putting those options in! I'll try to change it! :)
Thanks for the input though!

popsi 07-30-2012 11:56 AM

Just wanted to reply to the responses:

So interesting that more of you prefer males. I guess the few Male OBs that I have seen over the years I just didn't like. They definitely didn't make me feel comfortable, so I am biased. I have seen regular Drs over the years- my pediatrician and general dr. growing up were both males- and I was fine with them. Just didn't have good experiences with the 2/3 male OBs I've seen...

But, I do hear what you're saying about them not being know it alls. ;) I happen to really like my OB and she is completely NOT a know it all, but my last one hovered on that boundry sometimes!

raisingcropsandbabies 07-30-2012 11:58 AM

I've had both and actually prefer my male OB! He's amazing. I never thought I'd ever go to a male ob/gyn, but I was sooo at peace with him after my first appt. He's delivered 3 out of my 4 babies and I drive 1-1/2 hours each way just to go to him.

brookglen 07-30-2012 12:03 PM

I had a male last time and that's the last time I'll do that. He was pretty much the most stereotypical male OB in the world. Really aggressive, crappy bed side manner, slightly masogonystic, and completely void of emotion. Every concern you would have about a male doctor, he was.

My doctor this time is a woman, the difference is like day and night.

Kabuki24 07-30-2012 01:01 PM

I wouldn't even do a regular physical (say without pap) with a male. I could never be comfortable enough. I'm very modest so I voted Female - prefer female.