Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   July 30 - Aug 5 Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425889)

melyndie 07-30-2012 02:15 PM

July 30 - Aug 5 Chat

How are all the still waiting mamas doing? How are all the new mamas and babies doing?

We are doing really well over here! Emerson is four days old and an amazing nurser. DD had some struggles (and there was my own learning curve), but Emerson took to nursing so well right away. He was born knowing how to make the perfect latch, and he can latch on by himself with no assistance (making sure he can reach the nipple, of course). It's crazy! I didn't know newborns could be like this. We have only done side lying since I still can't sit (due to stitches and my still healing tailbone), so I am incredibly thankful he is "skilled" enough to handle this position.

My milk came in at day two, and Emerson guzzles it what seems to be nonstop. DD keeps wanting to nurse constantly too, but I limit her. I can't be tandeming at every feed lol.

DD seemed to hardly sleep as a newborn, so it is rather freaky how much this baby sleeps. He seems to be awake only a few hours a day. Maybe 3? I checked with my midwife, and she said that is fine since he wakes regularly to eat, but it still is so strange to me. :)

He has been a little jaundice but not at a worrisome level. I hope he starts pooping more as that will help him.

Yesterday, day three, was a hard one. I got the hormonal shift and kept getting weepy and upset with DH. We normally get along really well, so this was weird for me although, apparently, typical for day three. My midwife was over (just after one of my crying spells, ugh) and had DH make me some "joy tea" as she called it that has a mixture of mood-enhancing herbs. I started to feel more stable after that. :)

Oh, speaking of wanting the baby to poop more...uh oh...lol

mabelinoad 07-30-2012 03:51 PM

Re: July 30 - Aug 5 Chat

We're surviving over here!

Adrienne is sleeping a 5 to 6 hour stretch every night, which is nice! The last two days have been better, the engorgement(is that a word?) is gone and things are feeling better! I'm still a little sore on my right side when she latches on...hopefully that'll feel better soon. I think she's nearing her 2wk growth spurt(shes 10days today) because all day she's been whiney/sleepy/nursing. Had a short, happy awake time this morning, but didn't last long. She just wants to be nursing all day long today! Its also hard, because she can't figure out pacifiers. Last night she finally sucked on a Natursutten, but that was short lived. She just gums the pacis(several types!) and won't suck. Then she gets frustrated and cries! I haven't tried MAM yet, so i think we'll head to Target and grab a pack and see if it works. It'd really help us both if she took to one!!!

Stitches are feeling better today, they're definitely still there...but i can sit without wincing(sp) finally.

CDing is going ok. It'll be better when her cord falls off...which looks like it wants to hang on forever! My other two didn't lose theirs until well after 2wks old. Sigh...
I tried a yellow edge PF on her with a snappi today, it fits great! I only have six, but might get some more. I just bought some orange edge on FSOT to trifold in covers for a while...i have a few and wanted more. Flip covers are big, but fitting better than any of the newbie covers I have(thirsties duos, xs, bummis, prowrap)

What's everyone using once newbie diaper stage is over? I have some BGEs, BG4.0s, lots of Flip covers/some organic and SD inserts, a couple random pockets. I'm thinking of getting some Sunbaby size 1s...waiting for some new prints to come on her site though!

regenolds 07-30-2012 03:59 PM

I have way too many newborn diapers! I'm weird and like my washes to be the same kinds of diapers so I have a wetbag with prefolds, a pail with pockets( I have 4 kids using pockets) and then I'm not sure where to put the AIOs that say to wash on warm. I guess in another wetbag! I like prefolds the most and my thirsties covers. Oh and I put Charlotte in a sunbaby at night now. She soaks the insert but it hasn't leaked yet. Its pretty funny putting a diaper on a baby that is as big as the baby. But it fits great!
Charlotte had her tongue tie snipped today. It went fine. Now I hope I can get her to latch better.

rosenfried2 07-30-2012 04:35 PM

Doing well here... In addition to having a 7 day old my parents are getting a divorce YAY!!!! My stepdad and mom are so not compatible so my brother and I are thrilled for this to be happening.

Nursing is getting off to a slow start after she was doing well, but I am doing supplements to bring milk and nursing every 2-3hrs and giving her 1-1 1/2 oz of donated breast milk each feeding. I'm also taking placenta pills which seem to be helping.

luckyducky77 07-30-2012 05:47 PM

We're doing pretty good here. This past week we struggled with diaper rash. It looked yeasty so I did a sanitize cycle of TTO but then it started looking more like she was sensitive to the TTO so had to strip the diapers and wipes to get the TTO residue out and rewash yet again. I'm afraid to see what our next water bill will look like. Her bum is starting to get better and she no longer shrieks with diaper changes. I also think she's just very sensitive to moisture since she still poops like it's going out of style except at night, when pooping is very minimal, if at all. Since the Earth Mama Angel Baby cream also has TTO, I've stopped using that and only using CJs Butter which appears to be helping. I tossed the sample tubs that have essential oils (like the TTO one and the orange oil one) because I just don't want to risk using any essential oils on her sensitive bum. We're finally back in cloth this afternoon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that with naked time and really drying her butt off well will keep the rash issues to a minimum. Debating not using the prefolds anymore since the rest of her stash is stay dry material. So far I've been using them with a fleece liner to see how that goes. We went through so many disposables because her finicky self will not tolerate even the smallest smear of poop in her diaper. Probably because it hurts her skin. :( Oddly enough, the desitin also made her screech so I only did a couple applications of that before I stopped it since she didn't screech like that with the CJs. Guess she got my sensitive skin.

melyndie 07-30-2012 06:17 PM

Agh, I guess my hormones are still wacky. A guy DH works with and his wife, whom I never met, came over to see the baby and deliver dinner. She didn't even tell me her name but was begging to hold the baby right away. I said he was hungry, but she said it was okay. She finally gave him back when he was chomping on her arm and crying. Thankfully they didn't stay long, but when she was leaving, she said, "If you need anything, let me know! I would LOVE to come by and hold the baby for a few hours!" Um, why would I want anyone to do that?? Do the dishes or something; don't take my baby! She was a nice lady and well meaning and she was very kind to make us dinner, but I did not enjoy their visit. I am super sensitive right now. I cried for an hour after she left. :(

remrath 07-30-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melyndie (Post 15476039)
Agh, I guess my hormones are still wacky. A guy DH works with and his wife, whom I never met, came over to see the baby and deliver dinner. She didn't even tell me her name but was begging to hold the baby right away. I said he was hungry, but she said it was okay. She finally gave him back when he was chomping on her arm and crying. Thankfully they didn't stay long, but when she was leaving, she said, "If you need anything, let me know! I would LOVE to come by and hold the baby for a few hours!" Um, why would I want anyone to do that?? Do the dishes or something; don't take my baby! She was a nice lady and well meaning and she was very kind to make us dinner, but I did not enjoy their visit. I am super sensitive right now. I cried for an hour after she left. :(

:hugs: I'm not ok with that either. :hugs:

I wish our DHs would step up and be firm at times like that. PP, we just don't have the energy to say no sometimes.

marliah 07-30-2012 07:12 PM

I don't like that either. I am so thankful for my midwife! She said after I deliver she has a sign she can give me to it up on our front door that outlines what visits are for of r the first few weeks, that they are not for holding the baby or for being waited on as a guest, and that if you enter this house you are expected to help with something like laundry or dished or cleaning. :) I SO wish I had thought to have something like that with my others. Really bothers me when people stop by and just hold the baby, especially when they are so new and you don't want to let them go!

:hugs:

luckyducky77 07-30-2012 07:12 PM

My mom keeps saying that she doesn't get to hold baby much. Um, you've held her every single day since she was born 24 days ago! And I'm sorry but if you're not going to listen to what I say about how to keep her calm during fussy time, then no, you can't hold her then. I can't help it if my baby likes me better. LOL!

marliah 07-30-2012 07:14 PM

Oh and as for us, my husband and I were able to go out to supper tonight thanks to my MIL who offered to come watch the children :) was such a nice surprise! We haven't been out together in about a year. We went to a Mexican place and I had some spicy foods praying it will kick start labor! I feel like I have been living in a contraction the last 36 hours and I am so wanting this baby to come! Praying tonight will bring real labor! If not I have my 41 week appointment tomorrow.