Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   36 1/2 weeks just was exposed to Chicken Pox, Help!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425962)

elijahsmama 07-30-2012 03:52 PM

36 1/2 weeks just was exposed to Chicken Pox, Help!!

Title says it. Just found out DS and I were exposed. I had it as a child but my blood test said I wasn't immune? Totally worried about new baby as I feel I'm ready to go into labor any day. What are your thoughts on getting it so close to due date? Any advice on how to help it be milder or go away quicker if we do get it? Thanks mamas!

3 ladybugs 07-30-2012 04:21 PM

Re: 36 1/2 weeks just was exposed to Chicken Pox, Help!!

The good news is when you deliver (which you are very close to term now, my doctors would say you are at term) you can get the vaccine provided you don't have a history of blood born cancer.

And yes you can not be immune to CP even though you had it as a child. I am living proof of that and I have a history of blood born cancer (lymphoma) so I can't get the vaccine. I am SCARED of this winter with illnesses.

Good luck!

gigismomma 07-30-2012 04:27 PM

I think the risk is you having chicken pox when the baby is born (or being contagious with a newborn). If that is the case, I believe they recommend immune globulin for the baby to reduce the risk of serious complications from a newborn having chicken pox. It has been a while since I have researched that, though!
If you don't get it, you will want to be very careful with your son and the baby......I know the incubation period can be long,and a person can be contagious before the rash. I would just err on the side of caution and assume your son is contagious, until proven otherwise.

elijahsmama 07-30-2012 10:22 PM

Yeah I'm going to watch it for the next 3 weeks. I'm so worried right now. I keep reading stuff about how it can be very serious/potentially fatal in newborns. I'm on the verge of crying right now. I can't imagine if we get it and something happens to the baby. I'm trying so hard not to stress out because I don't want to go into labor early. It would be best if he comes at or just after my due date. Then it would be more likely that we would be through it. Any prayers that we go to due date would be so greatly appreciated!!!

3lilbubs 07-30-2012 11:10 PM

don't panic mama. :hugs: My MIL had it when she was in her 3rd trimester with my DH. She said the worst part was all the teasing she got for the way she looked but that she was fine and so was dh due do her being so close to term. Dh has some long streaky flecked purple scars on his right shoulder and forearm that he was born with ( chicken pox scars) but he was born immune.

Hillargh 07-31-2012 12:36 AM

If it makes you feel any better, babe could end up being immune if you get it. DS is immune from me having shingles outbreaks during pregnancy.

I hope no one gets it at all, though! :hugs:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

elijahsmama 07-31-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks mamas! Yeah if we get it asap and I start building antibodies and baby stays until due date or just past he'll probably have enough antibodies as well at that point. It's just if he comes early to us having it that I'm so worried. Going to go have my blood checked again today at my MW appt and see if it was maybe wrong the first time. Here's to hoping. I'll feel so much better if I am.