Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Learning to Knit - Wool! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425996)

hollyecat 07-30-2012 05:15 PM

Learning to Knit - Wool!

I'm visiting my mom and she's going to help me learn how to knit. I am a little craft-challenged, so I hope I can do it so I can learn how to knit my own diapers and clothes for my 3 little ones! Any advice or thoughts for a beginner?? A good diaper or article of clothing to try first? :knit:

A.Fred 07-30-2012 05:22 PM

Honestly..I'd suggest trying some scarves first..then maybe a hat or 2. Then get into longies/sweaters etc :)

hollyecat 07-30-2012 05:27 PM

Re: Learning to Knit - Wool!

I was afraid that would be the suggestion. I live in a place that scarves are never used and I already have about 12 of them (for some strange reason!). :p

stevensmom 07-30-2012 05:35 PM

you can always start of with wash cloths then move up

or be brave and just go for the longies :giggle2:

hollyecat 07-30-2012 05:50 PM

Oh, wash cloths...good idea! What kind of yarn would you use for that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 15476123)
you can always start of with wash cloths then move up

or be brave and just go for the longies :giggle2:

nonipie 07-30-2012 05:51 PM

There's a steep learning curve when going from learning how to knit and purl to all the techniques needed to knit a garment. I took a class to learn some correct basics then moved from there. I started with a scarf but realized I only wanted to knit other things so I dove right in to longies. Took a while since I had to teach myself to use circulars, long tail cast on, increases, kitchener, short rows etc. I would say don't read ahead in the pattern LOL! Just learn and work on one thing at a time. Also join Ravelry, search Youtube and Knitting Help. Hats and newborn soakers would be good starting patterns to practice. I LOVE making hats now.

stevensmom 07-30-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollyecat
Oh, wash cloths...good idea! What kind of yarn would you use for that?

Cotton.

And get on knittinghelp.com

I went straight from doing just one washcloth to knitting garments. Had no problem.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

hollyecat 07-30-2012 06:36 PM

Thanks y'all. Knitting 101 is t minus 1 hour!

sprout47 07-30-2012 06:41 PM

My first knitting project was a pair of longies, because that's all I wanted! I got some advice online on picking out a pattern where I basically knitted two flat rectangles then joined them in the round to make the hips and waist. It wasn't that bad, and I think knitting with wool was much more forgiving than cotton. I did lots of searches online, found free patterns and forums with knitting advice. I stopped by my local yarn store twice and asked the lady there for help, but if your mom knows how to knit, you'll be fine, since you'll have a free resource!

hollyecat 07-30-2012 07:23 PM

That's what I'm hoping! I don't have my 2 boys to take care of right now (they are home with Daddy while I have my 4 mo DD), so hopefully I can get over the learning curve quickly.