Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   I have another acid reflux baby :( And he's growing up too fast! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425999)

remrath 07-30-2012 05:34 PM

I have another acid reflux baby :( And he's growing up too fast!

My first (now 5) was an unusual acid reflux baby. She NEVER spit up. But she screamed 20 of 24 hours. Well thus far i've had a "happy spitter" but the frequency has increased while the happiness has decreased. I have an entire load of receiving blankets and his clothes just from 2 days of spitting. He always grunted and groaned while sleeping, but the gripe water seemed to improve that some. In fact the gripe water made quite a difference until the last 2 days. Now we're on a cycle of eat, fuss while eating, pull off, cry, burp, spit up, fuss, eat, repeat, try to sleep, sleep for a few minutes, start squirming and crying, repeat. :cry:

ETA: and he chokes several times a night as it refluxes up and he's left gasping for breath as I reach over and hold him upright. He already sleeps reclined.

Poor little guy. I asked my pedi about natural remedies, but it seems we don't have an effective one for this or she's not willing to recommend. If it were my older girls we'd be doing some diluted apple cider vinegar and papaya enzyme. But i don't feel like I can give him any "food" this young. And who knows how effective it would be.

so they've just called in prevacid. :banghead: I should see improvement in the next 2-3 days.

On another note, my baby is now 4 weeks old today and already out of Nb sposies (don't flame me :bagoverhead: we do cloth and sposie mix this young b/c he hardly fits anything)

It's killing me that he's almost a month old already :cry: even though I was mutinous ready to have him come (and he came at 39 weeks on the nose) :giggle2:

marliah 07-30-2012 06:16 PM

Re: I have another acid reflux baby :( And he's growing up too fast!

Have you tried eliminating things from your diet? My little girl had acid reflux and when I removed dairy and chocolate it just about completely subsided :) also sleeping on an angle helped her immensely, we has a wedge pillow we would put under her when she was having reflux, but we were able to stop using it once dairy and chocolate were out of my diet. She started sleeping well and stopped being so fussy. Totally worth the diet changes!

Oh and check it the book "be your own doctor" she talks about giving chammomile tea to little ones in a bottle. My daughter loves it! Also I think she has something about papaya enzymes for babies too.

Alaga 07-30-2012 06:22 PM

Dairy was the trigger for my DD too. My DS seems to be the same way. Both still spit up after I eliminated dairy, but the volume and frequency was reduced. My DH and I were apparently spitters as babies too, so I guess we should have expected it! :)

msmamabear 07-30-2012 07:01 PM

I have been told that chiropractic treatments can help a newbie a lot with reflux. All my kids have spit up a ton (doesnt help I have oversupply issues) but Rae seems to be struggling with some reflux already. We both go tomorrow to the chiro so I will let you know if I see a change :)

remrath 07-30-2012 10:44 PM

He went to the chiro when he was one week old and at 3 weeks old.

i'll have to check out "be your own doctor", it sounds like a worthwhile read. My herbal book doesn't really address babies, pregnancy or bf except for sure do not ______. Doesn't go so far as to say _____ is safe. Prob liability I would think.

I tried to cut out dairy on a recommendation when I was pregnant. I lasted all of 5 days. I would prob go formula before I'd go dairy free. That sounds harsh, but I literally dreaded going into my kitchen and was miserable eating the entire 5 days. DD1 and DD2 avoided me because I was nuts. Avoiding milk I could do no problem. But cheese and ice cream.... I'm pretty sure the universe revolves around cheese.

ETA: He sleeps on a wedge now. That seemed to help for a short while.

mamaratliff 07-31-2012 12:10 PM

Hate to say it but dairy was the trigger for us too. I can eat about 1oz of cheese though without it affecting him. You might even get decent results from just eliminating milk, and ice cream, or things with heavy creaminess. Ranch dressing is a nightmare for us, as is pizza. BUt I can eat mexican food with some cheese sprinkled on. :hugs: I know it totally sucks. My ds would wake himself constantly with the gagging and choking and gasping for air. I hated it and so did he.

remrath 07-31-2012 01:56 PM

I thought back to the prevous two days and Sun the only dairy I had was
cream for coffee
cheese on burgers for lunch
Butter on the toasted bun
Monday:
little milk for the pancake mix
butter on pancakes
the cheese in macaroni and cheese

And monday was his worse day.
I'm already seeing some improvement, his first dose of prevacid was last night.

could that little dairy set him off? I've racked my brain and those were two very low dairy days for me.

mamaratliff 07-31-2012 03:09 PM

Yah that much dairy would do it for my ds, and it seems like it's delayed a day for him. If I eat too much on sunday, then Monday evening into Tuesday will be his bad day. I'm sure it's different for each baby and mama though.

Mom2jandb 07-31-2012 03:21 PM

It can take a month for dairy to clear out of your system, so you shouldn't expect results right away.