Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   In the hospital... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426181)

southernladyrtr 07-31-2012 08:20 AM

In the hospital...

This is our 4th child and the 1st to be clothed diapered. She is due Oct 3rd. I know that the hospital usually provides disposables while you are there. Do any of you recommend starting with cloth at the hospital or do you wait until you get home? I've heard some people wait a coupl weeks before they start. I know I don't want to buy any dispoables unless I absolutely have to. I'd appreciate any thoughts on teh subject. Thank you!

txmommytobe 07-31-2012 08:23 AM

I cloth diapered two from birth basically. We used their sposies in the hospital and then started cloth at home. It was just easier since they were back and forth to the nursery and such.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mom22sofar 07-31-2012 08:27 AM

Re: In the hospital...

I started at the hopsital. In fact, when I had my last baby at the hospital, they only provided cloth! If you wanted to use disposables you had to bring your own. I was pretty surprised and impressed that they came around to that!

kelpie169 07-31-2012 08:38 AM

With our first he was in the NICU so he had to e disposables-hospital policy. And a well meaning aunt had given us a HuGE Bo of disposables before she knew we wanted to cloth. We were moving soon after he came home so er just used those up and hen started fresh with cloth when we moved.
Our second, instead of using cloth we use the disposables the hospital provided. They gave us enough I get us grouch he first few weeks. Our oldest has special needs ad was JUST learning to walk so we use what we had then switched to cloth.
Well do te same this time-whatever gets provided well use but we won't buy our own.

qsefthuko 07-31-2012 08:42 AM

I would like to use cloth in hospital should we have another child. However it is not a deal breaker for me if the hospital we would choose refuses.

With our youngest we switched to cloth at 8 days. He was on in home bili lights. The cloth we had (prefolds and wool soakers) covered too much of him so used the trimmer sposies. Now I have trimmer cloth I would use that instead.

The hospital did send us home with almost a weeks worth of diapers so we didn't need to buy any. We haven't bought sposie diapers in almost 7 years when our middle child potty trained.

nonipie 07-31-2012 08:46 AM

I think it comes down to preference. We use cloth for health and environmental reasons primarily so it's important for me to get the cloth on them right away. At the hospital we did both cloth and sposies last time. This time hopefully just cloth. It's really very easy and meconium does not stain, washes right out. We just bring a wet bag and a handful of diapers. They really aren't going through a ton of diapers that first day or so. DH just threw them in the washer when we got home.

jlsquire0324 07-31-2012 08:52 AM

We use disposable in the hospital! It's free!! :) and I don't want to deal with dirty diapers among trying to bf, sleep, etc Cloth certainly isn't hard, but there's enough stuff to think about those first couple days. Cloth for me starts when the disposables run out :good vibes:

hollyecat 07-31-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom22sofar (Post 15478782)
I started at the hopsital. In fact, when I had my last baby at the hospital, they only provided cloth! If you wanted to use disposables you had to bring your own. I was pretty surprised and impressed that they came around to that!

Wow! That's so cool, Mama! :greenbaby: I am not sure that they would want us using cloth in our hospital, but since they let midwives practice there, I guess they would be open to it. Even though I've CD'd all 3 kiddos, I kept them in sposies until I got home from the hospital for simplicity. Don't know about you ladies, but I'm super tired after having a baby! :)

ashley84 07-31-2012 08:56 AM

Our hospital provides free disposables during our stay. We will be using those. I don't want to haul cloth there and back. We stayed for two full days with DS. If we stay that long with this LO, we'll have to bring another bag just for cloth diapers. I'd much rather wait until we get home to break out the cloth.

nonipie 07-31-2012 09:07 AM

The thing is the disposables are not free though. You are paying for them if they get opened. So if they open the package and put that first diaper on you might as well use them since they are yours at that point.