Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Paragard (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426222)

FormallyMichele 07-31-2012 10:04 AM

Paragard

Tell me about your experiences!

jnopih 07-31-2012 05:35 PM

I've had the Paragard for about 3 1/2 months now. My periods are really heavy now, and I've been spotting off and on for the entire time that I've had it. I do love that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant, but the spotting is driving me insane. I'm giving it 6 months to see if it gets better.

nblessing04 08-05-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Paragard

I had it for about 8 months. My periods kept getting heavier, longer and with worse cramping. Also had random spotting. And my DH could feel the cord during sex - not good! Said if felt like something stinging him the whole time. We did a lot of research before ultimately deciding to have it removed, and found that it doesn't prevent conception, or sometimes not even implantation, it is meant to prevent the embryo from growing. There is a higher chance of ectopic pregancies as well. We had it removed, despite my dr at the time insisting there was no way hubby could feel the cord (this was the primary reason we told her - she didn't like patients doing their own research). SInce then, one of my close friends had the same problem with the cord of her Mirena. I switched back to the patch (which I had used prior to pregnancy). The patch is good, but don't use it for more than 4 years. It has a super high daily dosage of estrogen - the same amount given to women going through menopause/hormone replacement. I used it off and on for about 8 years (only off during ttc, pregnancy & the short stint with Paragaurd). Just switched this spring to a low-dose pill due to incredibly unexpected side effects from long-term patch use. After 3 months, most of my issues have vastly improved, and we are hoping to gradually wean off to hormone-free bc.
I hope this helps some!

mommy24babes 08-05-2012 07:48 PM

Had one placed 6 mos pp and did have AF return until 13 mos pp. AF was not heavier or more painful than normal. But they were already pretty bad.
Discovered I was pregnant 17 mos pp and that the para guard either punctured my uterus partially ( they think they spotted it by ultrasound ) or came out and I somehow missed it.

DottieHarley 08-24-2012 05:42 PM

I have had my paraguard for about a year now (inserted 6 mos PP). AF didn't come back til 2 mos after that, so i do not know if changes are just PP or IUD or both.
Insertion was not fun, very bad cramping with a needy 6 mo old...! But a couple advils and all was well. Since then no issues with the iud itself (dh cannot feel, etc).
AF is way heavier than it was pre- baby and the overall "pattern" is kind of different, but again don't know if paraguard is totally to blame. I have never had spotting. Cramping, never bad to begin with, is still totally tolerable. I DO notice "mittelschmerz" which i never did before (doc said anyone without hormonal bc is likely to have).
I love that its hormone free, AND i don't have to do anything. Even nuvaring was too much for me to remember... I have no clue how i managed to not get pg before! Nonhormonal bc has been good for the libido ;) as well
However, we are getting kind of paranoid the last couple of mos bc i have had eerily pg-like symptoms and totally freaked on DH when he said that being pg wouldnt be a bad thing... I started sobbing and explained the whole removal/likely loss thing. That possibility is really starting to weigh on me, bc not-so-deep-down we both really want #2 NOW.

stringbean02 08-24-2012 05:46 PM

I had it and absolutely loved it. It's the only BC that worked for me. No side effects whatsoever. I recently had it removed to TTC, but had absolutely NO complaints. Oh, and I had it for almost a year. I planned on using it long term, but we changed our minds on TTC :)

AniMommy 08-25-2012 07:06 PM

Had it for 7 years and loved it. No problems with it and when I had it removed, I got pregnant w/in 6 months.

It was pretty painful it have it inserted. I was crampy for a few days and then okay after that.

I did have heavier and longer periods. 6 heavy days compared to 4 medium days. I don't remember any spotting. In fact the reason that I used it was because I spotted on every type of pill I used. So one longer period was better than midcycle spotting equal to a period.

After I have Baby #2 in Jan, I'll get another paraguard.

kbarsotti 08-26-2012 08:39 AM

I have had mine for two years. It works for me. I do have heavier periods and sometimes random spotting but overall my experience has been positive. I love the no hormones.

kellyzaney 08-29-2012 10:03 PM

I had mine inserted 6 wks postpartum. I was (and am) breastfeeding, so AF didn't return until 9 months later. My husband complained something was poking him during sex the whole time I had it, I figured he was being a pansy. Checked it one night and felt the stem. Went to the OB the next day and it had gone up into my uterus, expelled, and gotten stuck in three places. Had to have it cut out. It wasn't painful. The couple of periods I had were longer and crampier and heavier than I've ever had. But I loved the no horomone thing. Sad that I'm on the pill now. :(

Kshende 09-18-2012 09:54 PM

For you mamas that had the mirena removed, how much did it cost?