Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   PLEASE help me save my stash! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426235)

tenor3 07-31-2012 10:30 AM

PLEASE help me save my stash!

Yesterday I was pre-rinsing my stash when our water went brown. Water authority said sorry, the were working on pipes one street over & blah, blah, blah. Sent me info on washing out the stains. cold soaks & Calgon. Did that 2x yesterday & felt it needed another before sunning today. During final rinse water again runs brown. I want to cry... it's like $200+ of mixed fluff in there! They said they will send out RoVer rust remover if I want, but is it safe for my fluff???? It is a mix of pockets & inserts (MF), covers & prefolds, and hemp & bamboo doublers.... PLEASE help!

roseyroberts 07-31-2012 10:31 AM

Re: PLEASE help me save my stash!

omg! i would be so upset!! no suggestions here.. sorry..don't know anything about it.

KEandThree 07-31-2012 10:59 AM

Yikes! :yikes: I would be so upset. Good luck!!

jjgammon 07-31-2012 11:02 AM

Oh man, I would be FURIOUS! Our water went brown once while I was washing dishes :yuck:

The last town I lived in would always send you a postcard before they did any work that could affect the water quality. That was nice.

No practical advice for the diapers sadly. Sorry mama. :hugs:

kalibratx4 07-31-2012 11:08 AM

:( what are you using to wash? If your not using a mainstream detergent I would go get some Tide and use that w/ 1/4c of bleach. Sun them and rewash. You can also soak your inserts in oxyclean for a bit...

erlyjo 07-31-2012 11:41 AM

I would try Lemishine. It's made to remove mineral deposits from dishwashers, but you can safely use it on diapers. The brown in the water is most likely minerals, so I would think it would work well. Good luck, mama! I would be furious. If Calgon and/or Lemishine doesn't work, I would contact the city and try to get them to replace what they ruined.

tiredwalker 07-31-2012 11:52 AM

Can you take the pockets out and try soaking them by hand? Then you could go to town on the inserts.

I totally feel your pain. They've been working on our water on and off for the last year and I we never get a warning. I now fill the bath BEFORE I put the kids in so I don't have to freak out when the water is deep enough to show up brown.

creative*genius 07-31-2012 12:22 PM

So sorry for you! I'd try the suggestions above. I don't know about the rust remover on fluff... but if you can't get the stains out I think I'd be asking them for the $$$ to pay for it, too - especially since they give no warning.

nonipie 07-31-2012 03:04 PM

Would RLR work maybe?

photocowgirl 07-31-2012 03:36 PM

DD is allergic to reg Tide, but if I need the diapers reaaaallly clean, I wash in Tide and then wash them again in something else... seems to not bother her then... Good luck! I would bother the city, but I know when people have problems around here, including flooding from city issues, our city somehow gets out of it...