Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Those who use bleach in every wash (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426314)

Blossom of Snow 07-31-2012 01:14 PM

Those who use bleach in every wash

How many rinses does it take to get the bleach smell out???

Okay, so I love my routine and it works. Prerinse-hot wash/warm rinse - extra rinse. I'm using All F&C right now, no problems. I love the simplicity of my wash, and frankly I don't really need the extra rinse at the end, I use that to add ecover to my prefolds. Today I decided to use some bleach since I've noticed that the EBF poopy dipes have been turning...pinkish...in the pail :headscratch: Anywho, normal wash gets them clean but I figured a little bleach couldn't hurt, and since it's like 100+ degrees here there's probably extra bacteria in the pail. I added only 1/4c of bleach and after 2 extra rinses I could still smell bleach.

I don't normally use bleach because 1)I hate it and it gives me headaches 2) it won't rinse out easily. Our water is chlorinated, (but I've had worse if you kwim) would this matter? Oh, and my washer is a normal TL, a large load, so plenty of water.
TIA!!

thealmightyme 07-31-2012 01:19 PM

When I use it, I put it in the first cycle. I do a short warm/warm wash with detergent and bleach. Then a second long hot/cold cycle with more detergent. That seems to get out the bleach smell.

FriedaT 07-31-2012 01:22 PM

Re: Those who use bleach in every wash

I do a warm prewash with detergent and bleach, a hot wash with detergent, and an extra rinse. I don't really notice if there's still a bleach smell after they're dry. You can always use vinegar instead of ecover as a fabric softener to cut the bleach smell.

nonipie 07-31-2012 01:45 PM

Ditto. I add it to the prewash when I use it, usually with no detergent though. Then I do the regular hot wash and rinse. By the time they are out of the dryer I don't smell anything.

Tina5834 07-31-2012 01:50 PM

I wash dipes as normal and then I run a rinse and add bleach and then I will run an extra cold rinse.

Blossom of Snow 07-31-2012 10:10 PM

Ah, thank you ladies! Y'all really are a helpful bunch :thumbsup: I'll try bleach in the pre-rinse next time. I never did before because I was worried it would react with the toxic toddler pee :giggle: DD is PLing now so I only have the overnight diaper to deal with (yay!) and that can easily be hand rinsed.

kbevie 08-01-2012 07:02 AM

I recently did some research on diaper warranties and found that most brands (except for bumgenius) will void the warranty if you use bleach. It wreaks havoc on elastic and PUL. Then again, a lot of detergents also void the warranty (like Tide).

nonipie 08-01-2012 07:10 AM

I've never had bleach do anything to the PUL or elastic and I have never had to use a waaranty. They are all made from the same materials, usually from the same distributor, so it makes no sense that it would be fine for one diaper but not another. I've been using it for years so I say go ahead and get your diapers disinfected. As long as you are not sticking your head in the washer before it rinses I don't see how the urine and bleach would be a problem. It just gets rinsed out.