Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   how do you prevent diapers from staining? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426357)

mamamarisa 07-31-2012 02:56 PM

how do you prevent diapers from staining?

what do you do to keep your diapers from staining? could you use spray and wash(probably a dumb question)? we tried disposable liners and they just bunched up. specifically im talking about keeping grovia aio os(organic cotton) from staining.

luvthefluff 07-31-2012 03:32 PM

Re: how do you prevent diapers from staining?

I rinse everything well before putting it in the pail and i dont have stains on most things. i also use bleach every wash so that keeps things bright as well. I have used oxyclean spray and wash in the past which didnt harm my diapers but i didnt find it really got rid of the stains. sunning them fades stains also.

lynn97 07-31-2012 03:35 PM

There isn't much you can do to prevent stains, from what I've found. Sunning gets rid of most stains and rinsing poopy diapers well certainly helps. But besides that, it great depends on the kid and what they're eating. Some kids' poop just really stains whole others' doesn't stain nearly as much. I don't worry too much about stains. I used to be concerned but really, my kid is just going to poop on each diaper again anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

livismama 07-31-2012 05:56 PM

I cut fleece liners to line all of my diapers, I spray off poo with a sprayer in the toilet, and I spray the poopies with foaming Biokleen Bac-Out....and I sun when needed. But my little one is still mostly EBF, so when he's eating solids regularly, things may get more tricky ;)

srw.mutter 07-31-2012 09:08 PM

Microfleece liners... good for stay dry as well as cleaning up poop and keeping it off the diaper (not really so for newborn liquid poop, more so for after introducing solid poops)

el's mama 07-31-2012 09:38 PM

Liners don't work for us either. My daughter always poops in the one place the liner doesn't cover. :giggle: I rinse the diaper and then spray Oxiclean (http://www.oxiclean.com/pre-treatmen...ver-spray.aspx) on the stains and let it sit for 5 mins. Then I thoroughly rinse it and toss it in the pail. Most of our stash is BGEs and they're organic cotton like GroVias so they stain SUPER easily. I sun anything left over but the Oxi spray works wonders. I'm very picky about stains and try to get them all out.

mrspopo 07-31-2012 11:00 PM

When we had a newbie we just sprayed a few squirts of bac-out (diluted) on the poopy dipes and tossed them in the pail then washed on hot every couple of days. Most didn't stain, the ones that did sunned out no problem. For solid we spray dipes into the toilet, then give them a few squirts of bac-out. Usually they don't stain. Sunning with lemon juice equals win.

mypeanut09 07-31-2012 11:25 PM

Organic cotton is the worst for staining. Fleece liners will help but not save all. I wash my diapers with 1/4 bleach once a month and it helps a lot. I've also found some detergents work better than others. I had been using RNG and used a sample of EcoSprouts I had and some of my stained inserts came out with much less staining than they had before.

Hillargh 08-01-2012 12:18 AM

I just immediately use the diaper sprayer. It takes everything off. My white BG OS is bright as new after spraying off poop. Toss in pail. When I wash, I toss in a bit of vinegar. No issues.

I've never had to sun anything, and had no staining at all.

Do you have hard water?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

kbevie 08-01-2012 06:58 AM

I do a rinse/spin every night of the dirty diapers. Then I'll leave the wet diapers in a dry pail next to the washer until I do a full wash w/ all the diapers. Make sure that you are getting enough water in the washing machine. Some people add a towel or put a bucket of water in during the wash cycle. If you have set in stains, try spraying with some pure lemon juice and letting it dry in direct sunlight for the day then follow up with a heavy wash cycle.