Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sciatica and pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426429)

peanut_munchkin 07-31-2012 06:50 PM

Sciatica and pregnancy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey y'all!

Here's the (not so) skinny. With my last pregnancy (he's 18mos), I had horrible can't-get-out-of-bed-without-help back/leg pain which my OB passed off as 'normal'. 3mos after he was born I found out I have a herniated disc which was giving me sciatica symptoms. I got a cortisone injection, it was okay, then decided to manage my symptoms with essential oils, exercise, stretching, better shoes, better posture, etc. instead. Good stuff. My symptoms were almost nonexistent for 4-5mos.

I'm now 8wks with some sciatica symptoms, on my feet all day at work. I haven't been to the OB yet and plan to talk to them about this as well, but I was hoping to get some idea of what works from ladies that have dealt with sciatica from a herniated disc during pregnancy. Would a belly band help? Some other type of support device? any specific daily exercises? Tips for sleep during the last trimester especially. Sleeping on my side leaves me stiff and in pain in the AM. Anything else y'all can think of?

TIA!

swrlgrl105 08-01-2012 12:53 PM

Re: Sciatica and pregnancy

i saw a chiropractor all through out my pregnancy and it helped tremendously!

lilbitcrunchy 08-01-2012 01:09 PM

My friend suggest St Johns' Wort oil? I've not had sciatica yet this time but I know it's coming so I was going to try that.

Sonoran Bloom 08-01-2012 01:30 PM

definitely a good chiropractor can help - go on a regular basis - and maybe prenatal yoga would be good, too, but ask your chiropractor first.

UmmKira 08-02-2012 11:30 AM

I took arnica for the pain (you can find at a natural foods store) per my midwife's suggestion and tried to stay somewhat active. I thought swimming would help and it absolutely does not! :P

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

artichoke71 08-02-2012 11:34 AM

I am 25 wks and have been seeing a chiropractor regularly since last November. I have some sciatica (didn't with my first pregnancy), and the adjustments have helped me tremendously as well. Good luck!

GandH'sMom 08-02-2012 11:46 AM

I've been seeing a chiropractor this time and did last time as well. Pain like that indicates that baby is probably not compfortable either. I do have a little belt thing that she gave me to wear and it helps sooo much with lower back pain. You will probably have an easier labor and delivery if you can get your body lined up:)

peanut_munchkin 08-06-2012 06:44 PM

I really don't have time to see a chiro, though I love the idea. I barely have time for prenatal appts! Any other ideas of things I can do at home?

jc12551 08-06-2012 07:09 PM

The pregnancy support belt helped me a great deal during both my current and my last pregnancy. The chiropractor is GREAT! If there is any way you can find time make it a priority. I found one that specializes in pregnant women and only charges me $30 since I don't have insurance. Best. thirty. dollars. ever.

mommycass 08-06-2012 08:24 PM

I have sciatica and vericose veins this time. Double trouble for the backs of my legs:/ I don't have experience with herniated discs. But for sciatica Pelvic Rocking helps strengthen my back and hips. Don't do them if your already pretty sore. It's best to when you wake up or early. Also, just not overdoing it through the day helps. Watch your posture, if I slouch a lot it hurts more. When you take breaks & lunch put your feet up. I go go go a lot, but if I push it and can't walk to make dinner or put the kids to bed; its not good:( The support belt sounds good too!
For sleeping, I would pile a couple of pillows under my belly, knees, and head and sleep at a 45 degree angle(not on my side, not my back). I would put one under my back so I didn't roll onto my back. Or I would sleep elevated on my back with my feet up.
Hope that you find relief:)