Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Not getting any milk! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426469)

msampson0612 07-31-2012 07:37 PM

Not getting any milk!

So I have to go back to work in about 3 1/2 weeks (DD is 6 days old). I wanted to start pumping to make sure I have a decent stash for hubby when he is home w her, but I can't seem to get ANYTHING. The shields I have are too small so I ordered larger ones, but even w too small shields shouldn't I be getting SOMETHING? Because I've gotten nothing, zilch, nada and I'm starting to worry that I won't be able to pump and then I don't know what I'm going to do! Ive breastfed two kids but never had to pump so I'm a little lost. Any help would be appreciated!

Done at 3 07-31-2012 08:22 PM

I've had success using mothers milk tea, there is also a woman who makes lactation cookies that people rave about. She sends them to you and they are supposed to work well and taste great. There are also recipes online that you can make
Yourself. Her website is www.makingmamasmilk.com.

msampson0612 08-01-2012 06:20 AM

Sorry I guess I should have been more clear, I'm not having trouble producing milk. I'm breastfeeding my daughter and doing great, I feel like a cow I'm making so much. But when it comes time to pump I'm not getting anything.

PerfectFifth 08-01-2012 06:46 AM

Re: Not getting any milk!

What kind of pump are you using? Some are more efficient than others; so if you're not using a double electric hospital-grade pump, I strongly recommend renting one for a week or so and see if that makes a difference. When during the day are you pumping? Mornings are usually the best time for that.

msampson0612 08-01-2012 09:20 AM

I've been using a Medela in style. She's usually really awake and alert during the mornings and evenings do I've been trying to pump in the afternoon when she seems to eat less.

keen1981 08-01-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msampson0612
I've been using a Medela in style. She's usually really awake and alert during the mornings and evenings do I've been trying to pump in the afternoon when she seems to eat less.

Is this a new pump? Are you using the let down feature. Relaxed? New pump parts? Ect? To not get anything tells me that it could be pump related. BUT remember you are in the beginning stages if nursing. To expect more than just an ounce here or there is too high. Keep stimiluaring the breasts, after she nurses. For maybe 10 minutes, 5x a day. If no output, it's your pump.

We aren't cows though. The body is kinda self regulating and some people respond poorly to certain pumps. Do what I said and you should get something.

Also, make sure your baby is nursing 12x a day right now. Nursing a lot now, will be very important in 3 months.

Belbaby3728 08-01-2012 10:28 AM

Agree with pp- check pump over well, also may have to play with settings to find which works best (how fast/strong suction you need).

Your milk production is at it's lowest in the afternoon-evening and most in early morning hours.

It is also hard to get a let down with a pump when you first start. Took me quite a while. Kellysmom.com has great tips for relaxing while pumping/visualize baby/look at pics etc.

I have found I pump the most at night- I pump one side while dd nurses the other side which helps with let down too. It may be harder in early days too as it will seem like baby is nursing all the time.

Drinking a large glass of water 15 minutes before you pump helps too. Don't get discouraged or tense up if you aren't getting a lot at first, it takes time to get used to pump!

msampson0612 08-01-2012 02:49 PM

Thank you ladies! I will give all that a try an hopefully find something that works!

luluanth 08-12-2012 08:06 PM

Re: Not getting any milk!

If LO nurses on one side per feeding pump the other side while nursing. And alternate sides with LO each feeding. Or when you try to pump put warm washcloths on the breast to help milk flow This might help to get enough milk stashed to start with, and relax.

msampson0612 08-15-2012 12:54 AM

Well I went over my pump and found out that one side for some reason has hardly any suction (of course it was the only side that i had tried) and that's why I wasn't getting any! So once I figured that out and took it back I have been getting 4 oz a sitting! Sometimes a little more! Relaxing def helped a lot and also I don't pump right after she feeds I wait about an hour and then pump. I wish I could pump on one side while she nurses but she usually nurses from both sides. Thank you for all the info ladies! I now have a good freezer stash for daddy when I go back to work!