Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Question about ammonia stink (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426684)

EmilyA874 08-01-2012 11:20 AM

Question about ammonia stink

Is it caused by not using enough detergent or too much? I'm having an awful time figuring out a routine with my new washer. We previously had just a portable washer and I just resorted to using bleach in every load to keep the stink away, I was hoping with moving and getting a full size washer I wouldn't need to keep using bleach every time, but the stink is horrible. They smell clean coming out of the wash but REEK as soon as DD pees. So are they not getting clean and I need to use more detergent (currently been using 1 Dropps packet) or is there too much soap and it's not rinsing out? What is causing this smell?! Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and we use mostly prefolds, some BGE, and sbish snapless at night, they all smell equally horrible.

Hungry Caterpillar 08-01-2012 11:28 AM

Re: Question about ammonia stink

They aren't getting clean - it's bacteria that's making the smell.

urine is sterile but when you mix your pee and poop diapers in the wash that first rinse to get the ickies off just swirls poop around everything. So, even if it was "just" a pee diaper it's getting poop into it during that rinse. Then they all need to be disinfected. I would keep adding bleach and up the detergent. You may need to change detergent. If you are worried about upping detergent just add another rinse at the end. You need to kill the bacteria.

nonipie 08-01-2012 11:35 AM

It's very rarely too much detergent. They sound like they are just not getting clean. Have you tried a different detergent. It's not working for you so the solution could be as simple as picking up a box of Gain or trying 2 packets.

cmamalis 08-01-2012 12:17 PM

Usually too much ammonia smell is from urine. The simplest trick to getting rid of it is to add about 1 cup of vinegar to a cold pre-wash before following your normal routine. I usually add vinegar once a week and so far have never ended up with a build-up of large ammonia stink. HTH

cmamalis 08-01-2012 12:18 PM

Oh, and be careful about adding bleach. If there is any type of warranty on your diapers, using bleach will void it. And if the bleach isn't fully rinsed out and your child has sensitive skin, they can develop bleach burns.

EmilyA874 08-01-2012 12:20 PM

I'm going to try two packets, hopefully that fixes it! I have tried different detergents and all but Tide I end up with stink. Unfortunately we can't use Tide though because it breaks my DD out in a horrible blistering rash :( I imagine Gain would do the same thing, right? I have tried RG, Bumgenius, planet, dropps, and a store brand that is enzyme free (pretty sure it is the enzymes that cause DD to rash). I was thinking of trying Charlies, but hesitant because I've heard some babies get a rash from it. A friend loaned me some Nellies and I will probably try that first. Even if two packets of dropps does fix the issue I'll still need to switch because that would be to expensive per load!

Any one want to recommend a detergent knowing we can't use Tide?

PBAki 08-01-2012 12:35 PM

Try Sport-Wash. It's 100% hypoallergenic, works with soft or even very hard water (may need extra for very hard water). If it's soft water it should be rinsing out well for the most part even with Tide. You can get Sport-Wash at any local sporting goods store; branded like Sensi-Clean but not sure if it's the exact same as Charlie's. There's some debate about that.

Also if you've tried multiple detergent in the past, I would use the Sport-Wash and expect to run few cycles as all those build ups will cause more soaps to come out. But after that you should see some difference. And do stay away from anything labeled "free" or "clear" in stores. They still have dyes and fragrance that could cause more rash problems in the future.

luvthefluff 08-01-2012 12:37 PM

bleach