Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   natural birth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426732)

Mom2lucy 08-01-2012 12:37 PM

natural birth

OK, I am 7 weeks pregnant with #2 and starting to research natural births. I am split 50/50 on going natural or getting an epideral. I am just not one of those that has a definitive opinion about what i want to do with this one. I had an epideral with my first and everything went well and recovery was so easy. Post labor at the hospital sucked though. I dont want to give birth at another hospital (rude nurses, stupid policies etc) so I am researching natural birth at a birth center, but am terrified of the pain of it. SO, what I am looking for is good websites and other places to research the pros and cons of natural and epideral births. As well of places to get some support on dealing with the fear of the pain IF i choose a natural birth. I am sure lots of you have some links you can send me.
I would really] appreciate it!
Thanks!

kushie tushie 08-01-2012 12:57 PM

I've had two natural births.
The pain is intense but you have to remember that its only temporary. A Doula can help with massage and ways to cope with the pain.

There are no cons to natural birth in my book. There are plenty with a epi.
You need a cath
You cant move
You cant push on instinct
A coworker of mine got bels palsy (sp?) from her epi
Can slow labor
There are more but you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

You could not decide and see what happens in the moment. If you are handling the pain well go for it. If you cant do it, get and epi. Good luck!

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

CutiePatootiesMama 08-01-2012 01:36 PM

Re: natural birth

Not sure about links, but the book The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth compares lots of hospital and birth center practices. It's definitely biased toward natural birth though. I didn't read the whole thing because I had already made up my mind, but it had a lot of information in it.

If you decide on a natural birth and are looking for techniques to get through labor, I recommend reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. That book was like a miracle on paper for me. It prepared me so well (maybe even a little too well- I didn't get to the birth center until I was 8cm and I thought I was 3-4) for my experience.

(I've had both a pitocin/epidural hospital birth and a natural birth center birth. I don't even feel like I can compare the two. They are two completely different worlds. And I would choose the birth center over the hospital hands down.)

Congratulations and good luck with your decision!

CutiePatootiesMama 08-01-2012 01:36 PM

dp

TigersBabygirl 08-01-2012 02:28 PM

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I think it's awesome that you are at least considering natural birth. I'm with the others on the pro natural birth here. Maybe I got lucky, but honestly, it wasn't so bad. And recovery was super fast - it's awesome to be able to move, walk around and not be drowsy at all once you have your baby in your arms.

My husband didn't really get why this was so important to me until we watched "The business of being born" together. Maybe you want to check that out, I found it very informative even though it's a bit old and of course biased towards natural birth.

TigersBabygirl 08-01-2012 02:28 PM

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! I think it's awesome that you are at least considering natural birth. I'm with the others on the pro natural birth here. Maybe I got lucky, but honestly, it wasn't so bad. And recovery was super fast - it's awesome to be able to move, walk around and not be drowsy at all once you have your baby in your arms.

My husband didn't really get why this was so important to me until we watched "The business of being born" together. Maybe you want to check that out, I found it very informative even though it's a bit old and of course biased towards natural birth.

jes750 08-01-2012 03:04 PM

:wave:

Ellasundies 08-01-2012 03:07 PM

With my first child I had an epi. Like you, everything went fine. With my second dd#1 things didn't go so well. I was at a horrid hospital and didn't end up with my epi like I had requested 10,000 times and they ignored. Once I realized I wasn't going to get it in time and immediately after the birth I was thinking to myself. "wow this isn't so bad". There were however many things at that hospital that really bothered me. I actually ended up with PTSD, not because of the delivery but because of an idiotic procedure that an OB decided to do on me that was completely unnecessary. ONly to get him out of the delivery room 5 minutes faster.

That birth made me really research. I wasn't really interested in natural birth per say. I knew I wanted more kids but KNEW I could not deliver at that rotten hospital again. In my area that left me with only one option, homebirth. I did lots of research into the safety of that. Once I did the research I realized how nearly everything they do to you in the hospital is NOT evidence based but that nearly everything in a natural birth is. I really loved the Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth that a previous person posted. The author does lean towards natural birth but IMO that is because that is what the evidence points to, not because she is pushing an agenda.

With the PTSD I had lots of fear to work through. The best thing for me was hypnosis and I used that for the homebirth of dd#2. I was fine, the delivery was fine and I felt tons better after my two natural births then I did after I had my epi with my first born.

In all honesty the hypnosis worked as a pain reliever better then my epi did, when all things are considered. Even if you choose to use an epi, you really should learn some natural pain relief techniques. Epi's don't always work, you don't always get one on time. IT's better to be prepared then to be panicking and realizing that your NOT going to get one and this baby is coming out NOW.

wordbox 08-02-2012 06:04 AM

My two dollars and two cents. ;)

With my first, I went naturally up until about the 23 hour point, when I had to accept that I wasn't progressing. We used pitocin to help things along and to hopefully avoid a c-section; at that point I was exhausted and had been having terrible back labor (DS was sunny side up) so I decided to get an intrathecal before starting pit (because I knew the pit would intensify things). I'm glad I did, it gave me some time to rest. I pushed for over an hour and probably would have beyond exhausted myself. I had a great delivery, and was glad I went with the intrathecal late in the game, rather than an epidural earlier on. I didn't feel the urge to push, though (but was still able to push effectively with the coaching from my doc) and the intrathecal had worn off quite a bit so I still felt pain, but it was definitely not as severe. Overall, given my circumstances, I was pleased with the choices that were made.

I just gave birth to our second child on Monday. I went naturally this time, unless I don't get to join that club because I did end up needing pitocin again. But it was pain med free. This time the pit was used because my contractions were inconsistent and kept tapering off, so I wasn't progressing (but water had broken). Once that kicked in, things progressed pretty quickly. I'm curious how much more tolerable it would have been if I'd progressed naturally. I had been at 3 cm all day, when I was checked after two hours of pitocin I was only at a 4. However, there was a bit of my bag of waters that hadn't ruptured, so once we broke that I immediately dilated another centimeter, and then things picked up FAST. It was stunning, actually, how my body just took over. I'm not going to lie, it was the most painful thing I've ever felt and there were times I thought I'd never be able to stand any more. Pushing was the most intense thing ever... but it was also cool, because I didn't feel the urge with my first. My body was ready to push out that baby whether I wanted to help or not.

As painful as it was, it was also kind of awesome. It's only been a few days and the pain has been "forgotten" (ha!) but it honestly doesn't matter at this point. I am healing very quickly. I feel great. I was moving around shortly after birth. I am proud of accomplishing what I did. My husband was amazed and thankful. Once I saw that baby and held her on my chest, all the pain didn't matter. The pain was temporary, and it had a purpose (unlike, say, breaking your arm... the pain of labor and pushing is productive).

I won't knock someone for choosing to use pain meds. I think wanting a natural birth is something you either "get" or you don't. You don't get a medal or gold star for doing it, but I do think there are benefits to it (just like those who get an epidural see the benefits as not being in pain). And even if you plan to go naturally, I do think it's a good idea to research your options and be willing to be flexible (like, I think it was smart of me to use pain meds the way I did with my son, given our circumstances).

If I have a third child, I will plan on going naturally... and fingers would be crossed that I am able to progress without complications and pitocin!

songbird516 08-02-2012 07:43 AM

I've had two natural births and been a doula at several medicated births. I must say that if your baby is in a pretty good position, and you're not super scared, natural is the way to go. It really won't last that long.
There are SO MANY possible complications with a medicated birth. Not all of them crop up during the birth, either. The dreaded "flat nipples"? Yeah, pretty much caused by fluids and epidural meds, along with engorgement, but the hospital will surely blame the mom because her body isn't working right (can you tell I've had to deal with this recently!?)
I'm sure once I see a woman give birth successfully with an epidural with no major tearing or complications afterwards, I might feel differently, but so far my experiences haven't been great at all. Most of the time postpartum is also a lot easier if you can have a normal birth; it was for me.
I will say, that I didn't have the "high" that I hear women talk about. Both times I mainly just thought "what the heck just happened!?" Also, I'm really a wimp for pain, but this is pain with a purpose. You have to convince yourself that it's for a reason, and that your body is working the way that it needs to to give birth. It's working! Some studies have shown a decrease in labor pain with moms who have high Vitamin D levels, so you might want to look into that :)
Also, check out the blog "Mama Birth". She has lots of great birth stories and pep talks about natural birth; very down-to-earth :)