Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Pumping at Work (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1426736)

cpc1286 08-01-2012 01:43 PM

Pumping at Work

Hello all,

I am on day 2 at work and I feel so awkward pumping at work, I am concerned that it will lower my supply. I really don't want to lose my milk as I truly enjoy nursing at home but now that I am back to work how can i get more comfortable at work. I work in an office and have tried going to the bathroom and in my own office but I get too nervous. Any suggestions?

MarieSeeking 08-01-2012 01:49 PM

I used to go to my bathroom. I know people around here scoff at that notion but it was clean and had a chair. It was totally fine for me. I actually made myself think of how I was making good food for my baby. It turned out to be when I could connect with her even though I wasn't physically with her. I took a water in with me to drink and just closed my eyes and relaxed. It was a total zen part of my day. Oh and get a pumping bra.

cpc1286 08-01-2012 02:03 PM

Re: Pumping at Work

Thanks, I like the idea of thinking about it as feeding my baby and can see how I can use that mind frame to help me have that connection. I will try it when I pump again. I am so determined to make this work, I've made it to 8 weeks EBF which a huge accomplishment because I went through so much pain to get here (got Mastisis... twice) and wasn't able to BF ODD.

ivymama 08-01-2012 02:24 PM

I had to pump after returning to work, and it was challenging for sure. I made it to 5 mos, then dd went on strike and decided she only wanted a bottle. While it lasted tho, i used a utility closet that my admin was able to get me a key for. Set up a little chair in there, listened to my iPod and just tried to relax and remember why I was doing it! I feel good about doing as much as I could, and tried not to beat myself when it came to an earlier than planned. It's definitely not the easiest thing, so give yourself credit for making a solid effort!

cpc1286 08-01-2012 02:42 PM

I think I am going to bring my headphones to listen during so it can help me relax also. Thanks ladies for your encouraging posts!

Mindie1388 08-01-2012 02:50 PM

I pump in my office with a paper blind covering my window. I am always paranoid that I didn't lock the door or the blinds are going to fall down! To relax, I have found a word game or sudoku really helps.
You may have to work harder to pump all you need for your LO. I had to throw in a pump before bed time to get enough, but it's worth it. If you see a dip in your supply, pump more freqently, if possible, and eat oatmeal for breakfast. It will help!
Good luck!

Liadan23 08-01-2012 03:04 PM

i have a hands free pumping bra that is just the best! i put it on, and bring a good book to read while i'm pumping. it has really become an enjoyable relaxing part of my day. i've never had an issue with my supply dropping, as in, i go back to ebf on the weekends no problem, but i have always struggled to actually pump enough to replace what my baby drinks while i'm gone. with ds i gave up on trying after awhile and just pumped what i could and gave the rest formula and tried not to stress. i haven't quite reached that level of acceptance with this baby yet lol. my freezer stash is running out though and some days i keep up with her, some days not. the time will come, probably soon, where i'll have to give her formula too.

the best thing you can do is find a fun, relaxing activity to occupy you when you pump, so that you look forward to it. and then i agree with a pp, try to think of it as your chance to connect with your baby during the day. even if she's not there. i can't be with her during the day. but i can pump as much as i can for her even when we're apart.

percussionsmith 08-01-2012 03:08 PM

I also had a picture of my son in my pump bag. It helped me to imagine him. I never really had issues with being nervous or uncomfortable and usually got plenty, but sometimes i was in a hurry and it seemed that the picture helped me to get the "let down" quicker.

Palooka 08-01-2012 03:13 PM

I pump in an unused office apart from the rest of the company. I prefer that because I'm not distracted by anything else and won't be bothered because no one knows where it is. While pumping I read the paper or look at photos/videos of my baby. My let-down is very psychological, if I'm stressed it just won't happen. So if you're trying to pump and feel nervous try leaving the office for a few minutes to think about something else, then go straight to your pumping spot and think about your baby. That helps me.

*oh and our nanny sometimes sends photos during the day, and I'll avoid looking at them until I sit down to pump so it's a like a treat. :)

IowaGold 08-02-2012 08:56 AM

I didn't want to inconvenience my workplace/take breaks if I could help it (I'm a veterinarian in a small clinic) and I had plenty of work that can be done while sitting (writing records, inputting new inventory into the computer, etc.). So I got myself Freemies and am perfectly comfortable pumping in the shared doctors' office, even with people coming and going (and asking me questions, etc.). I put them on in the bathroom (I never mastered the slipping them under the bra technique) and then go hook up to the pump. It also helps that I have a large drawer next to my desk where I put the pump. With the drawer almost closed (only the tubing coming out), you can barely hear the pump going. I was a little embarassed at first, but got over it quick, knowing I was doing the very best thing ever for my baby.